Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this?

/ Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this? #1  

Darryle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
I have seen plenty of 5ft version, but never a 4'. I also don't think it's a JD, most likely an old Massey. I took the sweeps off, bought new points from Shoup, new grade 8 shouldered bolts, new plow bolts, reinstalled the one shank that had been removed and then did a little fitting on the hitch since it didn't line up and seat flush to my liking. I am going to have a buddy repaint it since he has the shop and equipment to sandblast it and put a proper finish on it.

Attachments

• Chisel a.jpg
    Chisel a.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 131
  • Chisel b.jpg
    Chisel b.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 136
  • Chisel c.jpg
    Chisel c.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 119
  • JD Chisel a.jpg
    JD Chisel a.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 115
  • JD Chisel b.jpg
    JD Chisel b.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 102
  • JD Chisel c.jpg
    JD Chisel c.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 97
  • JD Chisel d.jpg
    JD Chisel d.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
  • JD Chisel e.jpg
    JD Chisel e.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 84
  • JD Chisel f.jpg
    JD Chisel f.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • JD Chisel g.jpg
    JD Chisel g.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
   / Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this? #2  
Do you think it is possible that it was a much larger one that someone cut down to make a cultivator? That is a heavy frame like you would see on a wider, say 7 ft unit. W. Jones

/ Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this?
I first thought of that, but it doesn't appear to be cut down, the frame is square front to back, I would think if someone had cut it down, the frame edges wouldn't be square. It doesn't appear that other than the 3 middle shanks being removed and moved, the outer two remained in place, those bolts all twisted off when I tried to remove them. I will agree it is way over built as far as the hitch is concerned.

/ Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this? #4  
I can cut metal nice and square...usually better than a factory cut.

/ Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this? #5  
JD field cultivator cut down and built up to small unit for sure! ---done several myself and yes it can be made to look factory built!
Yours most likely started life as a 10 or 12 footer and was pull type.
Dont get me wrong,--- yours looks very nice and will be great for smaller areas!

/ Anyone seen a 4' chisel like this?
Well, I am thoroughly impressed with their work whoever it was. I measured the bolt holes with my calipers and all 4 outer holes are within .025" of the edge of the frame and the brackets are within 1/16th of each other.

I will look at it more when I drop it off at Kyle's for sandblasting and powder coating.

Should last me for as long as I will be alive and able to use it.