Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #11  
Not sure I agree with this. I have a buddy with an LS XR4155 easily blowing through 2ft of snow with a 96" blower. Another buddy with an 84" on a 35HP Kubota and loves it. Around here I see many 60" to 84" blowers hanging off the back off 30 to 60hp machines. We get lots of snow here in Maine, wet, dry, you name it. I am about to get a Woods 74 inch for my 36HP machine and the dealer says it will run it easily.

I guess if you have all day, you can run any size blower you want to and get away with it. I don't. I want to get out and get it done and get back inside to my wood fire. I find my 10 foot power angle plow to be much quicker and I only need the Lucknow to move drifts the plow cannot handle, which is rare...

Of course I'm nice and toasty in my cab with the FM playing my favorite country music.

Here you go.....:D

Attachments

• 100_0005.JPG
    100_0005.JPG
    540.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 122
   / Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #12  
I guess if you have all day, you can run any size blower you want to and get away with it. I don't. I want to get out and get it done and get back inside to my wood fire. I find my 10 foot power angle plow to be much quicker and I only need the Lucknow to move drifts the plow cannot handle, which is rare...

Of course I'm nice and toasty in my cab with the FM playing my favorite country music.

Yup, listening to music in a toasty cab is therapeutic . I agree plowing is much faster if you have a place to put it. I run out of places to put snow and blowing looks much neater for a residential home :) My comment was only about the size of blowers for the tractor, I don't know why some people think a 35 to 55 hp tractor cannot run a 70 to 84" blower efficiently. I see it done quite often.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #13  
I agree with Fallon. I run a 6 ft blower on a Kubota L5740 which is only about 50 hp at the PTO. For most snows up to about a foot deep I don't even have to put it in low range. For deep and dense drifted snow I can go into low range, creep along, and the engine barely feels it. So my experience is that an L6060 can run a 7 ft blower. I have wheel spacers for tire chains and the 6 foot does not cover my tracks on bends, otherwise it works great.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #14  
I agree with Fallon. I run a 6 ft blower on a Kubota L5740 which is only about 50 hp at the PTO. For most snows up to about a foot deep I don't even have to put it in low range. For deep and dense drifted snow I can go into low range, creep along, and the engine barely feels it. So my experience is that an L6060 can run a 7 ft blower. I have wheel spacers for tire chains and the 6 foot does not cover my tracks on bends, otherwise it works great.
In low low range (HST+) I can get a steady 5' per minute or so to run my 3pt trencher. With patience & a HST you can attack most anything at the right speed for your given HP.

My need for a blower is when we get blizzards here in CO. For reference, the light bar in the drift & on that truck are the same one, before & after. Took forever backdragging a scoop at a time to dig him out. Bucket wouldnt have been any better really. But a blower (72" or wider) would have been a godsend. Ya I would have been creeping no matter the width of the blower, but with drifts you either need a giant machine or patience. A blower will take less patience than a bucket or blade. Still under normal conditions the blade will be a lot faster than the blower.

20171013_101524.jpg20190314_133919-1.jpg20190314_163700-1.jpg20190314_123831.jpg

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #15  
I have to say, my need for my blower has diminished appreciably since I retired. IOW, I say inside and watch it snow.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #16  
Yup, listening to music in a toasty cab is therapeutic . I agree plowing is much faster if you have a place to put it. I run out of places to put snow and blowing looks much neater for a residential home :) My comment was only about the size of blowers for the tractor, I don't know why some people think a 35 to 55 hp tractor cannot run a 70 to 84" blower efficiently. I see it done quite often.

Me, I'm in the sticks so it goes where it goes. I'd sure like to see a small tractor with a blower cut the 8 foot drifts we get out here. Not gonna happen and if it does, would take a week. In drifts, my big Lucknow makes the M9's smoke.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #17  

Boy am I sorry I posted those pictures. I think we will have some repeat performances and not very far in the future either.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #18  
I have a Lorenz 84" double auger 3 pt. blower on my 31 PTO HP LS XR3037HC and it works fine. There is a label on the blower that says 40HP maximum.

Attachments

• DSCN1993 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1993 (Medium).JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN2011 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2011 (Medium).JPG
    170 KB · Views: 101
   / Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?
For the last 11 years I've been using a rear blade for plowing snow and when the banks got too high and the driveway got too narrow I would mount my 74" blower on the back and use that to blow back the banks. My previous tractor had 38 PTO hp and worked fine with the 74" blower for most situations. Of course when the snow banks were packed and got wet I would have to go slower but the blower still worked. The new tractor has 53 PTO hp and will obviously work better. Last winter I got an 8' plow for the front of the tractor and use that until the banks on the sides of the driveway get build up too much. The plow is WAY faster than the blower and I use it until I absolutely need to use the blower. Then the blower goes to work to blow back the banks of packed snow. I only cut the banks back about 2 to 3 feet, which means I'm only using 1/2 the width of the blower. My situation is much different than the one 5030 shows in his pics, which shows a wide open, flat driveway with hundreds of feet of room on each side, to push snow. My driveway is a mile long, winding road cut into the side of a mountain with a ditch and steep banks on the uphill side and steep drop off on the low side. The available plowing width is limited to working between the high side bank and the low side drop off. There are trees everywhere so I don't get drifting snow.

I need / want a wider blower for 2 reasons. The first is, because when I'm reversing down the driveway and having to maneuver around long bends or switchbacks the front of the tractor swings wider than the blower cuts and the front wheels end up going into the back. So I have to jockey back and forth to make those cuts. The second reason is that I want a blower that will process a higher volume of snow and throw it a little further. That means I need a blower with a bigger fan. But not too much bigger or the tractor won't have the power to run it efficiently. That is the reason I'm asking for input from people that have experience with these particular blowers. I think the 28" x 11" fan on the Puma 84 is too big for my tractor but the smaller 26" x 8" fan in the Puma 80 might be fine on my new tractor. A Lucknow 84", single auger blower also has a 26" x 8" fan but the double auger has a 28" x 8" fan which would require more hp to drive it than the smaller fan on the single auger. I'm thinking the 26" x 8" fan might be fine on my tractor. But for now I have one person who says otherwise. However the same person says my new tractor wouldn't run the blower I've been using on the back of my smaller tractor for 11 years. So that input will get weighted accordingly.

Anyone else with experience running an 84" blower willing to chime in?

Here is a video of a guy using a 74" blower on the back of his 29 PTO hp tractor and blowing 20" of snow. I think it's working just fine.
Snowblowing the Blizzard of 213 Nemo - YouTube

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?
I have a Lorenz 84" double auger 3 pt. blower on my 31 PTO HP LS XR3037HC and it works fine. There is a label on the blower that says 40HP maximum.

Thanks for that. I was typing when you posted.

I like those paddles and think they would be better at breaking up packed snow than the typical spiral augers.