Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #31  
for what its worth my impeller is 26" and drum depth is 10.5 so kinda like the diameter of the puma 80 but the depth of the 84 regardless it seems very efficient

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?
for what its worth my impeller is 26" and drum depth is 10.5 so kinda like the diameter of the puma 80 but the depth of the 84 regardless it seems very efficient

That's the kind of information I'm looking for. My current blower has a 21" x 7" fan (Drum is 22" x 8") and is too small. The Puma 80 has a 26" x 8" drum and the Puma 84 has a 28" x 11" drum. I think the 84 might be too much for my tractor and think the 80 might be good.

What size tractor are you running that blower on?

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #34  
My Mahindra 2565 (50 pto hp) handles my 78" Wifo snowblower just fine. The impeller dia is 27" by 10" deep.

My Mahindra 2565 (50 pto hp) handles my 78" Wifo snowblower just fine. The impeller dia is 27" by 10" deep.

That's a BIG impeller and must throw a big volume of snow. Glad to hear it is working well for you on a similar hp.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #36  
Just curious how you like the electric deflector. I am debating on spending the money for running more hydraulics to the back or an electrical hookup. I've heard people questioning the longevity of the electricals on deflector. Thanks

I cant say about a blower, but I've used linear actuators on other projects. Probably only relevant for the deflector & not rotation, guessing that's not a linear actuator. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/321704-linear-actuator-power-ssqa.html

Cheap linear actuators are going to be $30-50. I've used cheap ones daily on a chicken coop door for a couple years. I had one for the power SSQA before upgrading to a bigger $100 for faster speeds. Both lasted until I sold the machine. At those prices & commodity status they would be easy to replace every few years if they didnt last. I'm sure they are less durable than hydraulics, but probably not worse on a bang for the buck basis.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #37  
its on a jd 3720

it's a bit heavy for the tractor, but at a the time was the smallest commercial grade blower i could get
a 4720 would be a better fit- or a 6060

here's the combo- i think about 4-5 inches of somewhat dry snow
pronovost p-74-inv on a jd 372 on Vimeo

That's the kind of information I'm looking for. My current blower has a 21" x 7" fan (Drum is 22" x 8") and is too small. The Puma 80 has a 26" x 8" drum and the Puma 84 has a 28" x 11" drum. I think the 84 might be too much for my tractor and think the 80 might be good.

What size tractor are you running that blower on?

Last edited:
   / Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #39  
I cant say about a blower, but I've used linear actuators on other projects. Probably only relevant for the deflector & not rotation, guessing that's not a linear actuator. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/321704-linear-actuator-power-ssqa.html

Cheap linear actuators are going to be $30-50. I've used cheap ones daily on a chicken coop door for a couple years. I had one for the power SSQA before upgrading to a bigger $100 for faster speeds. Both lasted until I sold the machine. At those prices & commodity status they would be easy to replace every few years if they didnt last. I'm sure they are less durable than hydraulics, but probably not worse on a bang for the buck basis.

The chute rotation on my puma 64 is driven by a hydraulic cylinder which pivots a round fabrication which rotates the shoot by means of a cable wrapped around it. It works well. The hydraulic cylinder is kind of overkill as far as power goes. It would be simple to substitute a linear actuator there, if someone didn't already have rear hydraulics to power the cylinder.

My deflector is manual, and I never move it. It would also be pretty simple to drive with a linear actuator, if I ever felt the need

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #40  
The chute rotation on my puma 64 is driven by a hydraulic cylinder which pivots a round fabrication which rotates the shoot by means of a cable wrapped around it. It works well. The hydraulic cylinder is kind of overkill as far as power goes. It would be simple to substitute a linear actuator there, if someone didn't already have rear hydraulics to power the cylinder.

My deflector is manual, and I never move it. It would also be pretty simple to drive with a linear actuator, if I ever felt the need
The cheap ones are generally rated at 100lbs or 300lbs. They are the same mechanism & construction, just different sized gears trading speed for power. Some of the slightly more expensive ones are rated to 1,000lbs. Those pull more amps but are still pretty slow relying on gearing rather than power to do the work. Depending on the setup & mechanical advantage I'd bet even the 100lbs ones could do the job under good conditions. Might be a bit challenging when things are frozen up for the lightest ones.