Are you this old?

/ Are you this old? #31  
I grew up on my grand parents farm. Learned at a young age that you never had an ailment when you were staying at her house. Her remedy for anything from a common cold to appendicitis was Black Draught, affectionately known as "liver medicine". I never figured out what it had to do with the liver. Just the fact that you knew it was in the medicine cabinet was enough to cure anything that was wrong with you.

/ Are you this old? #32  
Riding in a sleigh box of hay covered in blankets with feet on a foot warmer when going to town, or anywhere else for that matter, in the winter.

/ Are you this old? #33  
Old enough to still use this
image.jpg

/ Are you this old? #34  
Are you old enough to remember the connection?

View attachment 726674
No one answered it, but I presume the penny was to put on the headshell of the arm for additional weight when the needle started to wear out, and records skipped. I used to use a nickel myself.
I grew up on my grand parents farm. Learned at a young age that you never had an ailment when you were staying at her house. Her remedy for anything from a common cold to appendicitis was Black Draught, affectionately known as "liver medicine". I never figured out what it had to do with the liver. Just the fact that you knew it was in the medicine cabinet was enough to cure anything that was wrong with you.
My mother used to give us cod liver oil when we complained about various ailments (often as an excuse to skip school, church, etc.). After one dose, you thought twice before "feeling sick" again. Nasty stuff.

/ Are you this old? #35  
Never had cod liver oil. Black Draught is so bad if you take it you best be headed out the door to the out house or you won't make it in time.

/ Are you this old? #36  
   / Are you this old? #37  
I remember most of those. I was 9 when we got our first TV which was black & white. I also remember running the raw milk from the cow thru the cream separator and setting the milk cans out by the road for pickup. Do you remember the milk deliveries in the glass bottles with the cardboard pop top? That would never be allowed today.

I also remember:
- The outhouses in the backyard at houses in town & had to go outside to use the bathroom.
- I remember having to pump water by hand at the kitchen sink.
- I remember ordering things thru the Sears catalog because we couldn't get them locally. (That seems to have morphed into Amazon - we're back to where we were 50 years ago with retail shopping)

/ Are you this old? #38  
Two long and one short ring for us, if I remember right (and I wouldn't bet on that). Funny how we remember certain things from our early days. My mother was on the phone with someone when the guy down the road came on and asked her to hang up because he had an emergency call to make. She hung up, but said she got to wondering if someone was hurt and she might be able to help, so she picked up the phone again. That neighbor was telling a friend about his new calf that was born during the night. Mother said she'd never hang up for him again. :ROFLMAO:
Our phone number was 228 which was a long ring and then two shorts. Six shorts was a "line ring" where everyone in the community could pick up and listen to an emergency or community event announcement. Better technology back in the 50's? What would be the equivalent today?

/ Are you this old? #39  
Six shorts was a "line ring" where everyone in the community could pick up and listen to an emergency or community event announcement. Better technology back in the 50's? What would be the equivalent today?
Well, there's reverse 911...we've gotten a couple of those, mostly flood warnings.
There's also the National Weather Service alerts that interrupt radio/tv programming and at least some are sent to cellphones.

/ Are you this old? #40  
When we were very young, any time we got sick my father would give us sulfur and soda tablets. The sulfur was the cure, and the soda was to keep your stomach from getting upset from the sulfur. I don't remember us ever being sick too long or very often, so I guess it helped.