Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller
...... Seems like one of those things that you only need for a little while. Once all the crap trees are gone seems like it would become obsolete.

I wish. I figure pulling out rose and olives will be never ending, which is why I invested in this.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #22  
When I went to pickup the Intimdator, two coop employees wanted to rent it. Like the land plane several neighbors and friends bought one after seeing what they can do. I’ll run out of years before I will run out of trees

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #23  
What you are asking about are called "Limb risers". They are common on forestry equipment. The work really well for sliding limbs up and over the operator station. Easier on the operator, nd easier on the trees than hoping the limbs will bend sideways around you.....

.....Let me know if you want any more detail shots. Also check out this thread I started a while back about Forestry Mods - lots of good ideas, big and small, from several members here for making work in the woods easier.
Thank you for all this. I'll see ya on your other thread. It looks good.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #24  
It is a Titan tree puller but it will be used by me as a bush and bramble puller and so far I really like how well it works. (I haven't had much success on this stuff with the grapple.) I first tried this small olive w/o any ballast just to see and all that happened was the rear of the L2501 raised, but after connecting the ballast box, even though the ground was hard and dry, it had no problem yanking it out along with a few barberry, rose and other small to medium olives.

I started spraying the multiflora rose with round up .that stuff is horrible it will take over your whole place if left unchecked

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #25  
For the poor mans version of a brush/bramble/sapling puller, I copied downloaded this picture from somewhere here on TBN. I've lost track of who originally posted it. If I recall, the called it a "TreeGetter" or a "TreePuller". The poster stated that it worked well for pulling saplings and brush. He had luck with trees up to 3" diameter, depending on species and ground conditions. He adapted the design from something he saw that was meant to mount on an FEL, but made his a 3 Pt Hitch mount, due to the greater lift capacity he had on the 3PH of his small tractor.

I keep meaning to build one and try it out for myself, but have not gotten around to it. If I were to build one, I would probably add some diagonals to strengthen that inverted T design.

Attachments

• treegetter.jpg
    treegetter.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 663
  • treegetter closeup.jpg
    treegetter closeup.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 682

I started spraying the multiflora rose with round up .that stuff is horrible it will take over your whole place if left unchecked
I've had mixed results using Roundup Brush Killer, sometimes it works but most of the time for me it just weakens some of the plant or none at all. I even mix it a little stronger than it calls. More recently I used a brush killer from TSC (I forget the name) and its directions list a regular dilution and stronger dilution for "tougher to kill" stuff. I mixed up a couple sprayers full making it even a bit more concentrated than that and it seems to have done better than anything I've tried so far. A neighbor advised me to spray it when, or right after, it flowers as the plant has expended a lot of energy and will be in a weakened state, so I plan to do that next year.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #27  
I spent two days at the family homestead, cutting Autumn Olive and stump treating it with glyphosate. That was 3 years ago and I've only had a minimal amount come back. I do need to hit it again, but Covid and minor health issues have put that on the back burner for another year.

Good to hear only minimal olive has come back. I have probably pulled out 60-70 olives so far, most smaller than the images I posted. I don't think there are that many more remaining of much size, but there are a couple areas with a LOT of rose with small olive trees interspersed that I need to attack.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #29  
I use my Land Pride SGC1560 grapple. Wide open - lower jaw level with the ground - push them all together - lower and clamp with the upper jaw - lift straight up. The only brush I have - - Buck brush. Two feet high - big around as your little finger.

IMG_0011.jpeg

I love my grapple and tried different ways of using it on these invasives. It kinda worked when getting under larger bayberry bushes but not on the smaller ones, and was an exercise in frustration on rose. The puller has no problem grabbing on to them even the smaller ones. I have some areas so dense with trees I can't get the tractor through but the ones there are getting a nice dose of herbicide brush killer come Spring.