Forestry mods

/ Forestry mods #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
In another thread in the NH Owning/Operating section, wolfie1959 asked about the forestry mods I've done to my tractor. Rather than drift way off that topic, I've started a new thread here. Most of this is already up here on TBN somewhere.

I'd love to hear from others what they've done to their tractor for working in the woods.

Here's my set-up. My tractor, A NH TC33D is on the small side for this type of work, but I'm not trying to make a living at this. It fits my needs and gets the job done. I can also get in to tighter spaces and work on smaller trails than I could with a larger tractor. If I were starting over, I'd probably go one frame size up (I was debating about a TC40 when I ended up buying this TC33D back in 2001.)

This photo was taken during a neighborhood effort to clean up storm damage after a big wind storm in late October 2017:

Storm clean-up Pine log.jpg

Sundown GR40 Forestry Grapple on the front (looks identical to the Frostbite Grapple, but as I learned later, the Frostbite is a bit better built. However, I've had no problems with the GR40 - it can handle far more than my tractor can anyway.) The narrow profile makes maneuvering in tight spaces in the woods a lot easier than with my bucket or a wider grapple on. Grapple function is operated by some hoses run up from one of my rear remotes. I probably should have gone with adding a 3rd function to the joystick, but I already had the remotes, so this was an inexpensive way to go.

Uniforest 35E logging winch on the back 230' of cable, 7700 lbs pull. The size is a good match for my TC33D tractor. (Uniforest has since updated the 35E to the Model 35M: similar specs, with a few improvements.) The model 35E did not come with their removable trailer hitch, so I bought one from a larger Uniforest winch (the 35M comes with the hitch). It turned out the 35E was already drilled to accept it. I substituted pins for the mounting bolts that came with it, so I can get it on and off without tools. That hitch was designed for a pin hitch. I had a local fab shop make me up a 2" receiver hitch, which I now use instead of the factory-made hitch. Original and new receiver hitch:

original winch trailer hitch.JPGWinch receiver hitch.JPG

The limb risers and FOPS (falling object protection) were done by a local fab shop a few miles down the road from me. You can see the limb risers angling up from the front of the tractor. The part over my head has expanded metal to protect from falling objects. I used expanded metal so I could still get a good view of what is above me. If I were doing it over, I'd probably use solid metal - or maybe mostly solid with a short section of expanded metal along the front edge for upward visibility. I added this a few years ago when driving along one of my woods trails and a branch fell, bouncing off my roll bar and grazing my shoulder on the way to the ground. It was not a windy day, and I had not been out doing any logging activities. I did not bump the tree - it was just a random dead branch falling. If the timing had been a split second different, it would have landed square on my head, and I wouldn't be writing this today. I decided the woods had given me a "friendly warning".

There is a belly pan underneath made of 1/2" steel plate. (I'd have been inclined to go thinner, but the guy at the local fab shop has done a number forestry mods on various tractors, and he strongly recommended it.) Most of it is mounted on the subframe for my Woods Backhoe, which simplified the design & mounting a good bit. Ahead of the main pan is a smaller piece that attached to the front of the main pan with a tongue & groove. The font edge of that connects with two bolts to the tractor. It's light enough to remove easily when I need to change the filter it protects. All of this was done by the same fabrication guy who did the FOPS/Limb Risers. He is a really thoughtful fabricator for things like this.

The chains on the rear tires are studded OFA EKO 8 (a.k.a. "Euro-style" chains). I've tried V-bar studded Ladder Style, and V-bar Duo-grip chains. The OFA EKO chains are more expensive, but are a far better chain for my needs.

Added tire valve stem protectors on the front wheels, so I don't rip them out when driving through brush. They are made from a piece of metal pipe welded on to the rim. I'll try to get a picture of these at some point. My rear tires are Calcium Chloride filled (no one around here had Rim Guard back when I bought the tractor). If I ever have to replace the tires, I'll have the valve stem protectors added to the rears as well.

/ Forestry mods #2  
Here are a couple of little things I did to make thinks more convenient out in the woods.

Mounted a key retractor on the ROPS to keep the winch control rope from dragging on the ground or catching under a tire when I forget to stow it properly when I readjust the tractor position.

WinchRope1.JPG

WinchRope2.JPG

Made some brackets to mount the cant hook on the winch where it would be easy to grab.

PeaveyBrackets1.JPG

PeaveyBrackets2.JPG

gg

/ Forestry mods #3  
Also some bolt-on choker hanger brackets

ChokerHanger1.JPG

P1180537.JPG

A saw vise for holding the saw while sharpening. Made from a stump vise.

P1160800.JPG

P1160803.JPG

Valve stem protectors that bolt on by sandwiching the rim so I didn't have to break down the tires and weld them on.

P1170879.JPG

P1170863.JPG

gg

/ Forestry mods
Thanks, Gordon. I think I saw your stump vise and the Cant hook mods a while ago. I was meaning to copy them on my tractor, but never got around to it. Hopefully this time I'll be inspired to get around to it.

I need to find a better place to store my chokers. Up to now, I've been putting the hooks in my safety screen, and taking up excess slack by hooking the ends on the chain grab/tow slots built in to the winch. It works well until the chain bounces out of the slots and drags on the ground - then when I back up, I tear up my guard screen when I drive over the chain end and yank on the hooks attached to the screen.

/ Forestry mods #5  
^^^^
I haven't done it with this winch yet, but on my last one I cut notches into a piece of angle iron to hold the chains, then welded the angle-parallel to the ground- onto the winch frame. The ends looped over a piece of rod welded onto each side of the winch.

I feel left out, I have a 35M but didn't get the hitch. :D It must be something they've just started. It did come with a decent chainsaw holder though... which I quickly numbed with a log. luckily my saw wasn't in it.The Uniforest is a good winch, the only thing it's lacking is a decent owner's manual.

I would like to see how some of you have attached your limb risers to the existing ROPS. It's something I need to do but don't want to drill or weld on it. If you saw my welds,,, AKA "bubble gum" you would understand.

/ Forestry mods
I would like to see how some of you have attached your limb risers to the existing ROPS. It's something I need to do but don't want to drill or weld on it. If you saw my welds,,, AKA "bubble gum" you would understand.

Here are some shots of how mine is attached:

FOPS to ROPS 2.jpg
FOPS to ROPS 1.jpg

I think there were pre-drilled holes there, possibly to mount lights (I could be wrong about that. If he did drill new holes, I'm a bit bummed about that, but I'm not really worried about any adverse effect on the strength of the ROPS). However, it would not be difficult to extend the tabs further back (and maybe add a couple of bends to partially close them up behind the ROPS, then run the bolt through the overhanging part, so it clamps onto the ROPS, rather than bolting on. I thought the idea of using a round pipe for the FOPS frame (with the rounded clamp), rather than square tube was a good one: it meant not having to match up angles. He mounted the pipe to the ROPS, built up the rest, then when all was in it's final position, he welded the pipe to the bracket.

/ Forestry mods #7  

I have seen a couple excellent threads in the BuildItYourself section on this. I am trying to remember enough to do a search. One guy who posted a great thread and does quality work is from Va and cuts locust fence posts and bush hogs some very steep ground. I know his name but can't think of it now.

I made some ROPS clamps from 1/4" bar stock to mount a tool box rack and saw holder.

SawShelf1.JPG

SawShelf2.JPG

SawShelf3.JPG

ToolBox.JPG

gg

/ Forestry mods #8  
This reply is to Mr.G.G.,I have the same grapple and like those red extenders you have there. Are those custom made? Do they interfere with the bolt on rock plate?

/ Forestry mods #9  
This reply is to Mr.G.G.,I have the same grapple and like those red extenders you have there. Are those custom made? Do they interfere with the bolt on rock plate?

They are an option offered for the Igland GR20 grapple which is very similar to our Frost Bite. The hole spacing was perfect but I had to grind just a little as the flange on the Frost Bite is different. I don't see why the rock plate won't go on there with some longer bolts. I have not used the rock plate yet.

FrostBite3.JPG

FrostBite4.JPG

gg

/ Forestry mods #10  
I have seen a couple excellent threads in the BuildItYourself section on this. I am trying to remember enough to do a search. One guy who posted a great thread and does quality work is from Va and cuts locust fence posts and bush hogs some very steep ground. I know his name but can't think of it now.

gg

I was sitting having coffee with the wife and DieselCrawler jumped into my mind.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/346672-jd-3005-full-cage-rops.html?highlight=

gg