B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property)

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #1  

bluesky

Tractor
Kubota B2920
Hello from Sydney, Australia.

I was hoping you may be able to steer me in the right direction.. I am in a fortunate position that I operate a helicopter company... For the last few years I've been using a MTD ride on mower (no cutting deck) to pull the aircraft out of the hangar... Anyway it finally died this week which sort of coincides with the purchase of a 25 acre property that my wife & I have just acquired...

The property which is half cleared is on a slight slope and is in need of some heavy duty slashing, so here is my plan...

Buy a B2320 or the model before, the B7510 for pulling the aircraft out of the hangar and then on the 2 occasions a month that we'll drive the 2.5hrs to the property, put the tractor on a flat bed trailer and tow it to the property so it can be worked. (at the moment, there is no dwelling on the land... I'll be putting in a livable shed (14mts x 14mts) sometime in the next 6 months, so the Kubota will come in handy for this I guess - However it's main purpose on the property will be for slashing etc).

My main question is, will the cheaper B7510 do the trick or do you suggest the B2320 (hoping the model numbers are the same in the US as in Australia?)... Initially I won't need a bucket but would like the option later (I understand that the newer model is easier to get the bucket on and off and I won't need a load control valve?). I'll also be attaching a hitch to the front plate of the tractor for towing the aircraft so the bucket can't be on at the same time. I also need to go very slow and have good control over the tractor when pushing/pulling the aircraft. (Is the B2320 better for this?)

Costs as follows.

B2320 - A$16600 or US$12000!

4ft slasher - AU$1530 or US$1100

Front End Loader - AU$4900 or US$3500

And the earlier model.

B7510 - A$15000 or US$10800

(is it worth saving the US$1200 or is the B2320 that much better for my work and property purposes?).

Many thanks in advance.
Mark

(this is a link to the slasher I want to purchase. Howard Slashers Nugget )

Attachments

• Bunderra Aerial 1.jpg
    Bunderra Aerial 1.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 317
   / B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #2  
I think either model would serve you well, but don't rule out the BX line which can do all you describe. My only suggestions would be to a) get the loader b) move up to the 4'6" or even 5' "slasher". If you search on these forums, you'll find numerous examples of incorporating hitch receivers, etc. with the front loader bucket. Also, in the states you can get the 2320 without the valve, but you'll need to add it if you intend to get the loader. And yes the loader is very simple to install and remove. Good luck to you.

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #3  
Bluesky welcome to the forum. I would also think either tractor will work for what you describe. Looking at the photo of the your property it does not look as if the vegetation is overly thick so I would go with a 5' shredder also. The 5' will cover your wheel tracks and only be oversized in very thick grasses. Kubota is conservative when it recommends implement sizing.

MarkV

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #4  
I too think that either model would serve your needs. Some have talked about some "surging" in the two speed hydro on the B7510, so you might want to do a search to see what those comments are. The three speed hydro on my B2620 is very smooth, and it's possible that the low range is geared a bit lower, and might be a bit smoother than the B7510 transmission. The newer model is also can be had with a matched backhoe, and you might find that very useful on your new property for drainage, stump / rock removal etc. The older model can be fitted with an aftermarket backhoe also. Both can be removed in minutes, and don't interfere with the tractors other uses. I would try to drive both if you can since they do feel different. Bottom line though, they both are fine.

Long ago, and far away I helped muscle Bell UH-1B, and UH-1D choppers around using a hand dolly, so I do understand your need for slow, and smooth movement. I visited your country then too, and still remember the warmth, and friendly welcome that I received there.......... Thanks to your countrymen again!

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #5  
Are these HST or gear?? You can search for people who have put hitches on the FEL so you can pull up, attach and drag a trailer without getting out of the seat. (although, I still get off and lock the ball in). You'll find more uses for a FEL and I would not want to be without one.

I like that word "slasher" instead of "Shredder"

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #6  
I agree with everyone else, either will do the job. The FEL on the B2x20 series are extremely easy to disconnect/connect. The property looks great!

Good Luck,
Steve

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property)
Thanks for all your great comments and the warm welcome to your forum - The property is half cleared (other part is the wooded area at the top of the picture) - So only about 12 acres will need slashing etc...

Out of interest how do the Australian prices compare to the US prices for the two tractors I originally asked about?

All the best for now... and thanks again for your input.

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #8  
I would definitely go with a hydrostatic transmission if you can and get the loader you will not regret it

fall 2008 I prices a 2320 with loader and mid mount mower and it was around 12,000 canadian if I recall correctly so i think your prices are a little higher.

I work at the Pratt&Whitney service center in canada and we overhaul turbines and gearboxes for helicopters and small planes

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #9  
Hello from Sydney, Australia.

I was hoping you may be able to steer me in the right direction.. I am in a fortunate position that I operate a helicopter company... For the last few years I've been using a MTD ride on mower (no cutting deck) to pull the aircraft out of the hangar... Anyway it finally died this week which sort of coincides with the purchase of a 25 acre property that my wife & I have just acquired...

The property which is half cleared is on a slight slope and is in need of some heavy duty slashing, so here is my plan...

Buy a B2320 or the model before, the B7510 for pulling the aircraft out of the hangar and then on the 2 occasions a month that we'll drive the 2.5hrs to the property, put the tractor on a flat bed trailer and tow it to the property so it can be worked. (at the moment, there is no dwelling on the land... I'll be putting in a livable shed (14mts x 14mts) sometime in the next 6 months, so the Kubota will come in handy for this I guess - However it's main purpose on the property will be for slashing etc).

My main question is, will the cheaper B7510 do the trick or do you suggest the B2320 (hoping the model numbers are the same in the US as in Australia?)... Initially I won't need a bucket but would like the option later (I understand that the newer model is easier to get the bucket on and off and I won't need a load control valve?). I'll also be attaching a hitch to the front plate of the tractor for towing the aircraft so the bucket can't be on at the same time. I also need to go very slow and have good control over the tractor when pushing/pulling the aircraft. (Is the B2320 better for this?)

Costs as follows.

B2320 - A$16600 or US$12000!

4ft slasher - AU$1530 or US$1100

Front End Loader - AU$4900 or US$3500

And the earlier model.

B7510 - A$15000 or US$10800

(is it worth saving the US$1200 or is the B2320 that much better for my work and property purposes?).

Many thanks in advance.
Mark

(this is a link to the slasher I want to purchase. Howard Slashers Nugget )

Greetings, welcome and Happy New Year.

On the subject of slashers- I really want you to look at the postings on the web site about flail mowers- one of your countryman-"Inferno knight" I belive has several excellent postings about slashers and the trouble he had with them untill he bought a flail mower chopper for his work and custom work jobs- he really has a hair raising true story you must read about the slasher he traded in for a flail mower chopper.

A four foot hammer knive equiped flail mower will last you forever and the blades are easy to sharpen and replace when needed and the the mower throws all debrid downwards not "out and a way" when you read Inferno Knights posting about it you will understand why I am telling you this I also have used and owned flail mowers for 20 plus years and they are sweet to use as they will not plug or jam easily and recut and recut and recut etc.
The brush and weeds will rot much faster as well too..

Here is a link to Land Pride they build the flail mowers ands rototillers for Kubota here in the states.

The key is buying a flail mower with hammer knives in your situation as they will cut everything and come back for more with much less strain on the tractor. The rotor which is what holds holds the knifes is a huge generator of centrifugal force and impact energy and that is a lot of useable energy to shred anything including heavy brush and small saplings-which ever one you decide upon and still be able to mow a nice lawn too.

The 7510 is the narrow version of the 7610 isn't it? this may be a problem unless you have the wheels loaded as it may tip over sideways unless you use dual wheels in the rear. moving aircraft you would want R4 tires and a weight box over the rear axle too.

I dont think you can widen the wheel base on that one either- I may be wrong about that too.
:cool:

leon

In all sincerity-please be sure to look at the postings about flail mowers and inferno knights discussions too as it will give you a better idea of things as you may have the same species of brush he deals with on a dail basis

/ B2320 or B7510 (Duel purpose usage - Aviation & property) #10  
If the B7510 is NOT the gear version and NOT the narrow version, then I think it would work as well as the B2320 for you. In other words, it should be the normal HST B7510.

I would be a mite leery of going to a 5' slasher, however. It's heavier than the B7510 is rated for. The tractor will lift it OK, but you'll need the loader or weights on the front to keep the front wheels down. Better run that 5' idea past your dealer before committing. Don't forget, the CG of a 5' slasher is about 2.5' behind the 3 pt. hitch balls and the weight acts through a long moment arm when raised clear of the ground.

My B7610 was pretty happy with a 4' slasher. Might've handled 4.5'; 5' seems iffy. Mowing 12 acres with a 4 footer will be painfully slow, however. Maybe look into a heavier 30HP B7800 with HST if you really want a 5' slasher. The larger wheels of the larger tractor will make the ride much more tolerable as well. Going slow enough to keep from being bounced off makes for a long day.
FWIW
Bob