B2650 - First tractor

/ B2650 - First tractor #1  

Apogee22

Tractor
Kubota B2650
Hello everyone. I‘be joined this group as a recent purchaser of a 2019 Kubota B2650 ROPS. The tractor has 330 hours on it and was a part of a package with a FEL, B2728B Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, PFL2042 Forks and RB3596 Back blade. We’re in northern Michigan and primarily bought for 12 acres were closing on for constructing a large garden, house and driveways. For now at our current house it’ll be complete overkill as a snowblower.

I’ve worked on the tractor the last couple days, buffing out the paint, checking fluids, greasing everything and learning whatever I can. I haven’t found anything major that’s wrong with the tractor, just plenty of hoo d dents from the previous owner. Tomorrow is finding all the grease zirks and greasing those, plus putting the three point hitch pieces on and figuring that out.

Some questions that have come to mind as I start prepping for winter:
  1. Any advice for a first time tractor owner? Anything on these B2650s to watch out for?
  2. Anyone use a GMC Sierra 1500 to pull a B2650? Does it work ok? Mines rated at 9100lbs towing and estimate the trailer we need to get is about 1800-2000 by itself.
  3. I see people suggest the ShelterLogic and Harbor Freight temporary garages for storage. I’ll be putting the tractor in a paved side driveway against my garage. I’m hoping a temporary garage like this will work. Any input?
  4. Though I wish I could get a cab, it just didn’t make sense to spend $7K more. Plus the local dealer has about a 2 month wait on service availability. Is a soft cover worth the $1500 or best to invest in a solid set of Carhartt winter apparel?
  5. I plan to cover the BH77 over the winter. Is a special cover needed for these or will a general blue tarp work? Or maybe even no cover at all?

FWIW - I had a fair amount of success returning the faded hood and wheel well paint to shiny and smooth by hand rubbing with some turtle wax rubbing compound, followed by a liquid hard shell wax. Buying a pack of cotton rags from Costco sure comes in handy.

Appreciate any help in advance. Will be hanging around this website for the foreseeable future.

/ B2650 - First tractor #2  
I just put a tarp over it held down by bungees, mainly so I don't have ice and snow in the drivers area.

I would wear clothes that are as warm and waterproof as possible when snow blowing. I used to use a snowmobile helmet.

check to see if you have a block heater on it. If so, plug it in a few hours before dniwblowing on real cold days.

just take everything slow and easy and you'll be fine.

good luck!

/ B2650 - First tractor #3  
I owned a Kubota B3300SU for two years, a predecessor to B2650 without the mid-PTO but with a factory loader standard.

For its considerable power versus light weight I found my 'B' to be pretty tippy. I had air inflated tires. I recommend liquid filled rear tires for stability.

If you tarp the tractor use a permeable canvas tarp. A plastic tarp will condense moisture under the tarp on the tractor. TSC sells light canvas tarps but I prefer the heavy 18 ounce offerings from Chicago Canvas, as they are heavy enough to remain in place without being tied down. Purchase 12" wider and 12" longer than you think you will need.

I garage my tractor but my multitude of implements are outside under Chicago Canvas cotton tarps.

LINK: chicago_canvas | eBay Stores

/ B2650 - First tractor #4  
I don't know Shelter Logic but I do know (from experience) the Harbor Freight offering is prone to blow down in the wind. You may be able to add a lean to to the side of your garage.

/ B2650 - First tractor #5  
Welcome to TBN. Larry

/ B2650 - First tractor #6  
Pull my B2650 with F250. 2nd fluid filled tires however, if tire chains may be needed 1.5 - 2" wheel spacers should be installed before filling tires. Use a temp garage for BH77 this winter, may need sheet of plywood under it to keep it level and easier to reconnect. Anti-gel additive is a must have (in the tank). If your fuel is biodiesel, an algecide is also needed.

Extra lights?

Ideas if you decide its a keeper

/ B2650 - First tractor #7  
....For its considerable power versus light weight I found my 'B' to be pretty tippy. I had air inflated tires. I recommend liquid filled rear tires for stability.....

Jeff good suggestion on the canvas cover but I'm not sure about liquid filled tires on a B with a backhoe. I owned a B2650 and seem to recall somewhere, maybe in the tractor or hoe manual, that it wasn't recommended. I agree that it could get a little tippy on side slopes or going through deep rutted terrain. I don't know what terrain Apogee is on up there but since it doesn't have a mid mount mower if it feels tippy I think I'd add 2" rear spacers. Actually I did this on both my L2501 and JD 3520.

/ B2650 - First tractor #8  
Information about hauling should include - GVW - Gross vehicle weight, GCVW - Gross Combined vehicle weight, (weight of truck, trailer, tractor, and payload) everything the truck just move - Tongue weight (10-15% of trailer loaded weight) is also included in truck payload. GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating - both front and rear. Do not exceed any of these ratings For discussion regarding binding, might see this thread also. nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?
Also, the GCVW should be less than the max of your license plate. Mine is 18K.

Also, for more information about loading weight, might also look here: Towing capacity

Binding and loading it not only about traveling comfortably, but the ability to do no harm to others in and accident. You are smart to ask first. By the way, the Tow Rating of my truck is 11,340, the trailer is a 20' tiltbed, 3700 pounds, trailer load including implements and tractor, binders, chains, and took box 6000.

Hope any of this helps. Best Wishes.

Attachments

• Orange Peel.JPG
    Orange Peel.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
   / B2650 - First tractor
I just put a tarp over it held down by bungees, mainly so I don't have ice and snow in the drivers area.

I would wear clothes that are as warm and waterproof as possible when snow blowing. I used to use a snowmobile helmet.

check to see if you have a block heater on it. If so, plug it in a few hours before dniwblowing on real cold days.

just take everything slow and easy and you'll be fine.

good luck!
Thank you Seville. Yes it does have a block heater, so I’ll put that to use.