Backhoe hydraulic repair

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #1  

Swblack1216

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti ck25, Ford 4500
Hello tractor gurus . Kind of a newbie didn’t grow up with this stuff . Bought my first tractor at about 60 years old.own a Kioti 26 and an old Ford 4500 industrial with 755 backhoe .Just pickedup last year for 2 grand .new injector pump starter.added Silverado seat an boat seat for back hoe .running great. Knew I was gonna need new hoses eventually.Welove it
20230822_152331.jpeg
happened , my first attempt at stump removal .was going well two digs got a12” rotten stump .one more dig for roots bam.ok question. I’m gonna replace all those four that go underneath and to the manifold .any advise and suggestions. Question 2 Has anyone changed the four lever control to joystick. I’m never going to get the hang of it.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe hydraulic repair #2  
A set of crow foot wrenches would be a big help changing the hoses on the tower end.

You could probably find a set of wobble sticks in a salvage yard, but to be honest those old 4 stickers are hard to beat. I learned on a 550 ford with the same hoe and loved that thing. Just takes a lot of seat time to get your eye/hand coordination together.

They get a lot smoother doing 2-3 functions at once, with throttle set at least 1/2. It will come in time. Enough seat time that hoe will be like an extention of your hand. Just have to learn to feather the controls, not just pull on them.

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #3  
I also learned on a four stick Ford. No harder than two but hard if using different machines. Think it would be difficult to change to two stick. Did add hand control to thumb foot pedal Kubota M59. Now have a three stick reminds me of the old Ford.

Always dreaded if the hoses ever broke going to the boom. Would take some specialized tools and probably a custom made one or two.

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #4  
Tekton makes some 30 60 (4 way) hydraulic wrench for a decent price. You had to go to snap on before. They are much better at getting at the fittings of a valve stack compared to open end wrenches and even crows feet.

They sell individuals and most machines will only use three or 4 sizes on the whole machine so you don’t have to buy a whole set

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair
Tekton makes some 30 60 (4 way) hydraulic wrench for a decent price. You had to go to snap on before. They are much better at getting at the fittings of a valve stack compared to open end wrenches and even crows feet.

They sell individuals and most machines will only use three or 4 sizes on the whole machine so you don’t have to buy a whole set

Thank you so much more tools yay. Can never have too many wrenches I will get those 3060s every time I use this machine this strength really impresses me. I knew I was gonna have to replace the hoses. I have 10 gallons ready of hydraulic fluid.

A set of crow foot wrenches would be a big help changing the hoses on the tower end.

You could probably find a set of wobble sticks in a salvage yard, but to be honest those old 4 stickers are hard to beat. I learned on a 550 ford with the same hoe and loved that thing. Just takes a lot of seat time to get your eye/hand coordination together.

They get a lot smoother doing 2-3 functions at once, with throttle set at least 1/2. It will come in time. Enough seat time that hoe will be like an extention of your hand. Just have to learn to feather the controls, not just pull on them.
thank you very much. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hello tractor gurus . Kind of a newbie didn’t grow up with this stuff . Bought my first tractor at about 60 years old.own a Kioti 26 and an old Ford 4500 industrial with 755 backhoe .Just pickedup last year for 2 grand .new injector pump starter.added Silverado seat an boat seat for back hoe .running great. Knew I was gonna need new hoses eventually.Welove itView attachment 853596 happened , my first attempt at stump removal .was going well two digs got a12” rotten stump .one more dig for roots bam.ok question. I’m gonna replace all those four that go underneath and to the manifold .any advise and suggestions. Question 2 Has anyone changed the four lever control to joystick. I’m never going to get the hang of it.
Thanks to everybody’s advice and encouragement. Really appreciate it. I have a question. Is it possible to do video on this site? I tried wouldn’t work.

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #8  
Thanks to everybody’s advice and encouragement. Really appreciate it. I have a question. Is it possible to do video on this site? I tried wouldn’t work.
I created my own YouTube page. I download my video's to there, then just copy and paste the link to wherever I want to post it. Takes a while to download and buffer them but once it's done, so easy to copy and paste the link. But I do it all on a PC, others would have to inform you how easy it is to do with a phone if that is what you're using.

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #9  
There is no joystick conversion for the 4500 / 755. You would have to fabricate your own or figure out how to adapt something from a 555 hoe. I would get a set of 1/2" crowfoot wrenches for the working on hydraulic lines. They make it much easier to access what you need. Angle wrenches are nice, but a crowfoot is a requirement. Doing some of the hoses underneath can be a pain, especially if your replacing them after your guerilla of a friend tightened them. To get access on the 550 and 655C I worked on I had to pull the tire off so I could get good access to the lines underneath. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

/ Backhoe hydraulic repair #10  
Hello tractor gurus . Kind of a newbie didn’t grow up with this stuff . Bought my first tractor at about 60 years old.own a Kioti 26 and an old Ford 4500 industrial with 755 backhoe .Just pickedup last year for 2 grand .new injector pump starter.added Silverado seat an boat seat for back hoe .running great. Knew I was gonna need new hoses eventually.Welove itView attachment 853596 happened , my first attempt at stump removal .was going well two digs got a12” rotten stump .one more dig for roots bam.ok question. I’m gonna replace all those four that go underneath and to the manifold .any advise and suggestions. Question 2 Has anyone changed the four lever control to joystick. I’m never going to get the hang of it.

A hydraulic shop or aftermarket hoses will be cheapest way to go.

The 755 backhoe didn't come with 2 lever in North America, but I have a 2 lever setup off of a newer backhoe that you might be able to make work. DM me if you are interested.

Ted