Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #41  
Since it's dead, Once it was trimmed down to this I would have seen if the loader would lift the end off the shop just a little and trim more off until maybe it cleared the barn.
Maybe even cut sections out of it to reduce weight more.
Not a snowball's chance in hell that loader would have lifted the end of that tree off that building. That looks like a pig hickory. If it is, at that size, we're looking at a tree that could easily weigh as much as that tractor does, or more.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
Not a snowball's chance in hell that loader would have lifted the end of that tree off that building. That looks like a pig hickory. If it is, at that size, we're looking at a tree that could easily weigh as much as that tractor does, or more.

It's an oak and, yes, my tractor couldn't have lifted 1/4 of it. I cut it at about shoulder height, hoping it would drop to the ground and the top wouldn't hit the barn too hard. If I could have safely cut it up by the gutter, as someone suggested, the full weight would have dropped into the wall and probably gone right through it.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #43  
That's how you would handle it, "friendly chat about rats"? For some reason I doubt that.

Rats are colony critters. There aren't individual rats just roaming around the countryside looking for a place to live.

They only spread because of over population within the colony. My Brother was the only neighbor close. And my Brother's property was rat infested. Pretty simple.
I certainly wouldn't go over to a neighbor and start threatening bodily harm because if a neighbor did that to me I would tell him never to step foot on my property again.

Of course I have 3 outdoor cats with a few visiting cats that help hunt around my property.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #44  
It's an oak and, yes, my tractor couldn't have lifted 1/4 of it. I cut it at about shoulder height, hoping it would drop to the ground and the top wouldn't hit the barn too hard. If I could have safely cut it up by the gutter, as someone suggested, the full weight would have dropped into the wall and probably gone right through it.
Yup. I did this stuff for a long time. As a tree guy, if I'd have shown up to look at that job, my goal of course is to do it with zero further property damage, which is why I would have brought in a bigger machine. I knew that tree would more than likely hit the side of the building if you tried to do it as you did. As the property owner though, you've got the option to accept further property damage that ultimately will be cheaper than the bigger machine would have been, particularly if you're able to do the repairs yourself. Glad you got it down safely. (y)

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #45  
Have had huge success with using this. When I got mine it was only 2 bills. ($200) All you have to do is get a line high up into the tree, then you have a lot of leverage. Notch tree, put strain on it with a rope, and pull it into the direction you want.
Rope puller was $125 with 200 ft rope when I got mine. Paid for itself first time I use it.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #46  
In the court of Judge Judy, she would side with you on the neighbor owing for damages. And the reason is because it was dead for a while and the neighbor knows it and is liable. It's not an "act of God" in that case. Which is what the insurance company is looking at. I just had two dead pines removed of which one was right next to the neighbors house. It had been dead for 2 years and was at the point of needing removal due to getting weak. $1500 for two trees over 100ft tall and ground up and hauled away along with a brush pile from Decembers tree that I did that was 100ft and 20" at the base (all my EFCO 20" could handle). The one they did was about 24" and the other about 20". Two truck loads of ground up trees and branches. Nice looking job they did too. I can't complain at all. Even raked the yard afterward and fixed all "divits" of grass. Pros do that kind of thing. Me, I just left it all lol. I am chainsaw certified though by the Pa DCNR state group. A plus IMO.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #47  
No. My Brother ignored a rat problem. So bad they migrated 1/4 mile to the neighbor's farm. My Brother got adjusted by the neighbor and took care of the problem....
How did he take care of the problem? I had traps set by his hole all last summer. I don't want to use poison... I have too many animals around. They seemed to have moved by fall.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #48  
How did he take care of the problem? I had traps set by his hole all last summer. I don't want to use poison... I have too many animals around. They seemed to have moved by fall.
Poison. Contained so nothing bigger than a rat could get to it.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #49  
MORE THAN LIKELY YOUR HOME OWNERS INSURANCE HAS TO PAY IT BUT IT WILL THEN BE A CLAIM AGAINST YOU...BETTER TO TRY TO ASK YOUR NEIGHBOR TO PAY FOR IT---SHE DOESNT HAVE TO ,BUT ITS WORTH A TRY

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #50  
THE STATE OF FLORIDA SAYS TO USE A 22 RIFLE WITH RAT SHOT TO SHOOT THEM..EVEN IN THE CITY..BUT YOU HAVE TO BE QUICK AND STANDING AT THE HOLE WHEN YOU SHOOT