Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #61  
I know you’ve already removed the tree, but as a suggestion to others always have the insurance company come out to assess the situation. You don’t have to file a claim if you don’t want to, but they will let you know what they will or won’t cover and the estimated cost for tree removal and repairs.

I had a perfectly healthy walnut tree land on my neighbor’s house in a storm. I called my insurance company, they called theirs. My insurance company said as it was a healthy tree that came down in a storm event, I was not responsible and my neighbor’s insurance would have to cover it.

They said a hazardous tree is another story, if a tree is dead or unhealthy and there are assets of value it could potentially fall on, it is the property owner’s responsibility to remove it. If the property owner does not remove the tree and it strikes an asset, they are responsible for damages.

And they also explained that “known hazardous tree” means that someone could look at the tree and see that it was dead or unhealthy. It does not mean the property owner was aware the tree was dead or unhealthy prior to it coming down.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #62  
Good Job getting the tree down with minimal wall damage. rental of equipment to lift the tree would have cost more than than the wall panel. $4000 insurance deductible is really high , is your premium low? if not maybe get some quotes when it comes due.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #63  
Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
If it was on your neighbors property I would think it would be his responsibility to contact insurance or foot the bill to remove the tree. You seem to be on good terms with the neighbor the two of you should be working together to resolve this. How close to the corner is this and what is the angle of the tree. Is the root ball still attached. A crane or excavator would be best lift it off the roof , but at $75 an hour or more it can get pricy

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #64  
If you have Farmers ins, your screwed. Unless there are hole, holes, it is not covered. I had large hail damage on metal shop roof, not covered because hail did not make a hole. Im still fighting with Farmers on claim I filed 11 months ago. Stay away from Farmers ins. I canceled my policy. I have had to fight for every penny, so far have collected 10,000.00 more due to their so-called mistakes. Deliberate mistakes. Almost a year now, metal roof, home shingle roof, siding, windows all damage. Just because they give you an estimate does not mean you have to accept. Do research, get estimates, do not be intimidated, argue, fight for what you are intitled too. They will low ball and tell you things are not covered, when actually, they are. (Read your policy).

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #65  
Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
I know it’s a friendly neighbor. But your insurance company isn’t going going to cover that damage if the tree was on his property. It’s his responsibility

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #66  
I'd cut it near the stump and let it roll off. I've done it many times. Highly doubtful it will do anymore damage.

I agree, I wouldn't touch it until an adjuster looks at it. If they want to pay for a tree service, I'd let them. I'm sure they work with one. Tree services do emergency jobs like that all the time on short notice.
I helped a neighbor last year who had a pine go down on their single story home. I cut all the branches off, then was able to cable back to with a sheave at the roof then pull with my kubota. That gave me 2 times the lift and moved it off the roof by swinging it then lowering. That one had broke off about 12 ft high so i used that for the dead man. If you had another tree close maybe that would have worked.

Bill

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #67  
MORE THAN LIKELY YOUR HOME OWNERS INSURANCE HAS TO PAY IT BUT IT WILL THEN BE A CLAIM AGAINST YOU...BETTER TO TRY TO ASK YOUR NEIGHBOR TO PAY FOR IT---SHE DOESNT HAVE TO ,BUT ITS WORTH A TRY
Looks like your caps lock button is on, FYI. ;)

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #68  
I always cut down trees within striking distance of my structures no matter how healthy they look.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #69  
If neighbor was aware that the tree was dead and that it was a threat, his/her insurance company should cover it. It's only an 'act of God' if the tree is alive and then it's your responsibility. For $4000 deductible, I'd have a conversation with neighbor about it and have their insurance cover it. You don't have to 'go after' the neighbor to have his/her insurance cover it.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #70  
Why on earth are you all writing about the insurance? Tree is down and cleaned up. No one was hurt and the damage was minimal.

Each state as it's own set of rules for dealing with the responsibilities of tree damage. That issue is also mute.

The cost of the clean up and repairs was less then the deductible. The insurance would not have been useful anyway. Plus the OP avoids a black mark on his insurance record. And yes the companies share info about who files claims.

The OP did a good job of dealing with a bad situation and should be commended for dealing with the problem at hand. On his own like a person should.

I find it very aggravating that so many people want to run their lives according to what the insurance companies want. The often stated comments about using your tractor to help a neighbor must be approved by the insurance company or you can not drive your tractor down the street because insurance blah, blah, blah.

Get a grip, you can not buy insurance for everything.

Wait wait! Should I get a policy to protect myself from arguing against insurance companies ruling my life?