Bad news big repair

/ Bad news big repair #312  
@Henro
Agree in general, but if that’s your accusation, could you find anywhere where I rejected anyone’s reasonable suggestions?
Heres my post on Saturday when the tread was started:
I don't think I was pointing that comment at anyone in particular.

Sorry if you took it that way...not my intention.

/ Bad news big repair #313  
Yeah thats true.
I will add it to the list of possibilities
Going to try to see if corrosion of the ECU and plug fixes it first. If it doesn’t, will pursue on board DIY glow plug set up or maybe a generator to power a block heater.
I really should buy a small portable generator one of these days….
I don't know how you plan to take care of the corrosion but I do have a suggestion. I use some stuff called Deoxit. It comes in several formulations. I use the D5 stuff on the connectors in my CNC machines. The stuff actually works and all sorts of electronics repair folks use it and have done so for years. It has a very good reputation. It is made by Caig Labratories, according to my can.
Eric

/ Bad news big repair #314  
That .58 volt reading should be considered spurious. Because modern digital meters put almost no load on the circuit being tested because putting a load on a circuit will cause a voltage drop. This means a voltage could be present from just plain leakage through dirt and humidity. Dust on surfaces can conduct electricity if there is enough moisture in the dust from ambient humidity. It will not conduct well, the resistance will be sky high. The resistance in your digital meter is also sky high. So even though some voltage will pass there will be no current to speak of. Anyway, when you see voltages like that .58 volts in an automotive type circuit that is controlling a relay you can pretty much discount it as anything important.

/ Bad news big repair #315  
I believe in supporting my local dealer but I have to draw a line somewhere. I'm sure he didn't pay that much for it and the one I removed wasn't even labelled Kubota. Was labelled Nippon Denso. So was the replacement.

/ Bad news big repair
For the heck of it, I tried a jumper wire for 10 seconds and the tractor started like a champ.
I guess it’s pretty close to “wire up a switch“ time.
Yeah, I know like 30 people suggested it and it always was my “end game” if I couldn’t fix the OEM system (without spending 6k replacing ECU).

I‘m still convinced something else could be wrong other than the ECU, but there’s only so much time I can steal from working in the fields. It needs to be worked on when it’s cold to get the GPS to work and that gets old pretty fast.
I appreciate all the suggestions and the effort by some. Even with the few trolling, it was worth it.

Last edited:
   / Bad news big repair
I believe in supporting my local dealer but I have to draw a line somewhere. I'm sure he didn't pay that much for it and the one I removed wasn't even labelled Kubota. Was labelled Nippon Denso. So was the replacement.
Denso is one of the biggest automobile assembly producers in the world. Electronics is their wheelhouse.

/ Bad news big repair #319  
For the heck of it, I tried a jumper wire for 10 seconds and the tractor started like a champ.
I guess it’s pretty close to “wire up a switch“ time.
Yeah, I know like 30 people suggested it and it always was my “end game” if I couldn’t fix the OEM system (without replacing ECU).

I‘m still convinced something else could be wrong other than the ECU, but there’s only so much time I can steal from working in the fields. It needs to be worked on when it’s cold to get the GPS to work and that gets old pretty fast.
I appreciate all the suggestions and the effort by some. Even with all the trolling, it was worth it.
On your first post, you mentioned that you replaced both water and air sensors. If you still have the "old" sensors around, you could plug those up and put them on a cup of cold water/ice to trick the ECU thinking it's cold weather. This would be helpful for the troubleshooting process.

/ Bad news big repair
On your first post, you mentioned that you replaced both water and air sensors. If you still have the "old" sensors around, you could plug those up and put them on a cup of cold water/ice to trick the ECU thinking it's cold weather. This would be helpful for the troubleshooting process.
That’s a great idea. I did save them. I just don’t have the time as these tractors are badly needed for work. I don’t know if it’s worth falling behind much further to mess with it.