Baked Apples?

/ Baked Apples? #12  
Not a bad idea SR . . . juice them up quick.

From what I've read, apples were pretty important from the beginnings of this country. They were not too difficult to cultivate, and folks drank a lot of hard cider and other alcoholic beverages. I suspect they were not as strong as some of the stuff we have today, but it was there nonetheless. In years past, I have noticed that a lot of the old abandoned farm homes had a small orchard, remnants of which still existed.

/ Baked Apples?
^^ Ol' Johnny got around much of the northeast for sure....

johnny_appleseed_in_color-184195226_std.jpg

(That one could go in the 'old' thread for those that remember.)

/ Baked Apples? #14  
We make baked pears once in a while. Really simple.

Peel, cut in half lengthwise and core. Place in baking dish.

Cover with the following mixture:
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fine sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp grated gingerroot

Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes, basting from time to time

/ Baked Apples? #15  
I used to come home from school every day and eat 4 baked apples. I believe that I just cored them, filled the center with brown sugar; added a sprinkle of cinnamon and dab of butter, and nuked them until they glowed. ;) While they were cooking I would eat a couple of hot dogs, and probably finished topped the apples with a scoop or two of ice cream.
Don't I wish that I could eat like that now.

/ Baked Apples? #16  
I used to come home from school every day and eat 4 baked apples. I believe that I just cored them, filled the center with brown sugar; added a sprinkle of cinnamon and dab of butter, and nuked them until they glowed. ;) While they were cooking I would eat a couple of hot dogs, and probably finished topped the apples with a scoop or two of ice cream.
Don't I wish that I could eat like that now.

:) There was no nuking them when I was in any school.

/ Baked Apples? #17  
^^ Ol' Johnny got around much of the northeast for sure....

(That one could go in the 'old' thread for those that remember.)
I have an apple tree that is a graft off of a Johnny Appleseed tree. Not much of an apple flavor wise, but it produces well.

/ Baked Apples? #18  
My wife works at a cold storage owned by a bunch of apple growers. Needless to say we have access to apples :D Will have to give this one a try, both in the oven and in the traeger. Sounds yummy.