Ballast box

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
Titan says the box holds 5.3 cu ft and has an 800 lb capacity. 5.3 cu ft of concrete weighs about 800 lbs. I've been using a ~500 lb box blade as ballast but with the grapple I recently got I'd like more weight. The tractor handles ok with a 1000lb chipper on the back so it'll be able to handle 930 lbs of ballast box that's closer in to the tractor. Therefore I plan to fill the whole thing with concrete, with a couple eye bolts embedded so I can hold down a box I'll make to carry chainsaws and associated gear.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
I'd make sure the vertical tubes have drain holes in the bottom.

Since you are using removable ballast I wouldn't worry about it too much. Adjust to suit your needs.

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I got a koyker #5 loader. It will lift about 3000 lbs. I always put a big round bale on the back of the tractor. It males a great ballast/counter weight.if I need more weight than that, it is time to stop and rethink what I'm doing. I have never figured out why a person would buy a ballast box. Just get a 3 point bale mover and you got more options. I set bales with the big tractor. Slide a pallet on it for a 3 pt carry all. Build you ballast weights on another pallet setup and one attachment serves 3 function. Just use you bale mover like pallet forks. With the allis I set bales, with the massey I'm using it to hold the back of the tractor down.

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD D110
I got a koyker #5 loader. It will lift about 3000 lbs. I always put a big round bale on the back of the tractor. It males a great ballast/counter weight.if I need more weight than that, it is time to stop and rethink what I'm doing. I have never figured out why a person would buy a ballast box. Just get a 3 point bale mover and you got more options. I set bales with the big tractor. Slide a pallet on it for a 3 pt carry all. Build you ballast weights on another pallet setup and one attachment serves 3 function. Just use you bale mover like pallet forks. With the allis I set bales, with the massey I'm using it to hold the back of the tractor down.

Well, you & I (and our tractors) are employed for round bale movement. A lot of owners don't.

I also utilise the ballast box when I'm fetching/carrying/loading round bales during haying season. Yes, I could balance one front/back but I'd be unbalanced at times, especially when loading onto a lorry. And my haying doesn't take place on a flat prairie, it's fairly 'hilly' in Pyengana, Tasmania.

Then there's those who are using their tractors in the bush/woods... things can get 'tight', manoeuvring-wise. A ballast box is ideal as it doesn't hang out that far.

Eric102

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere X739
Then there's those who are using their tractors in the bush/woods... things can get 'tight', manoeuvring-wise. A ballast box is ideal as it doesn't hang out that far.
That would be me, used to use a box blade or backhoe for ballast but that got old quickly whenever they would hang up on a tree or stump. Switched to a Titan ballast box recently and its been a huge improvement for working in the woods and also around buildings and fences.

Attachments

• IMG_20170524_172605728.jpg
    IMG_20170524_172605728.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 100

varmint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
That would be me, used to use a box blade or backhoe for ballast but that got old quickly whenever they would hang up on a tree or stump. Switched to a Titan ballast box recently and its been a huge improvement for working in the woods and also around buildings and fences.

I built a ballast box because I got tired of worrying about whacking things with a big box blade out back. Then, I discovered how handy it is to carry chains on it, and with a trailer hitch as well, it serves me nicely. I wanted removable or adjustable weight, for depending on the task, and stones work for that, plus it's a lot easier to remove or install when it doesn't have a full load in it. Had I known you could buy one like the OP's, for just over $200, maybe I would have gone that route?

P1010910.jpg

Eric102

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere X739
I built a ballast box because I got tired of worrying about whacking things with a big box blade out back. Then, I discovered how handy it is to carry chains on it, and with a trailer hitch as well, it serves me nicely. I wanted removable or adjustable weight, for depending on the task, and stones work for that, plus it's a lot easier to remove or install when it doesn't have a full load in it. Had I known you could buy one like the OP's, for just over $200, maybe I would have gone that route?

View attachment 531351

Nice job on the box and chain storage! Like you I think its a good idea to having adjustable weight in the ballast box. I'm using iron suitcase weights in mine which leaves room in the box for other stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_163014232.jpg
    IMG_20170920_163014232.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95