Bar and Chain replacement

/ Bar and Chain replacement #1  

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
I have a Husqvarna 455 50cc saw. .325 pitch 18" bar.

What is a good replacement bar and blade? There are so many brands out there. I was thinking of going with Oregon, thoughts? Also, what's the max bar length that saw can handle?

/ Bar and Chain replacement #2  
I have a 450 that has a 20" bar never replaced the bar if I did I would go with Oregon.

/ Bar and Chain replacement #3  

What is a good replacement bar and blade? There are so many brands out there. I was thinking of going with Oregon, thoughts? Also, what's the max bar length that saw can handle?

Look in the manual or look at the max bar length that Husky sold the saw with. That said, there is no sense in getting more bar than you need. I get by with the 18" bar on my 346XP just fine and that includes cutting 2 1/2' to 3' oak logs into rounds for splitting.

/ Bar and Chain replacement #4  
I'd go with an Oregon bar most likely. A Total Super would be good too. I've been liking 3/8 lo profile better than .325 lately, myself. Fewer cutters, and a little narrower kerf. You'd have to swap sprockets too, though. If you haven't done that lately, it'd be good anyways.

Personally, I'd run a 16" .325 or 3/8lp on that saw. Might try an 18" in 3/8lp. At the absolute outside, you could run a 20", but it'll be unwieldy, and underpowered with the bar buried.

/ Bar and Chain replacement #5  

Oregon has different grades of bars, get a better one. I just got one for a 55cc Echo with .325 chain. I didn't think of it time plus I had a bunch of chains for it, but I would go after a better bar that uses a 3/8" chain even though you need to change the sprocket. Better for chewing through wood.

/ Bar and Chain replacement #6  
Oregon has different grades of bars, get a better one. I just got one for a 55cc Echo with .325 chain. I didn't think of it time plus I had a bunch of chains for it, but I would go after a better bar that uses a 3/8" chain even though you need to change the sprocket. Better for chewing through wood.

Regular 3/8 (not lo profile) is a little much for a 50cc saw, in my opinion. Maybe if you're running a 12-16" bar or cutting softwoods.

/ Bar and Chain replacement #7  
I've got a few chains at Frawleys Saw Shop, quite a selection. I run .058 ga. .325 pitch on 18" bar on a Husqvarna 550XP, just them extra 2" on the makes a difference on my back...........

/ Bar and Chain replacement #8  
"IF" your saw needs a bar, it also NEEDS a sprocket too!

I pretty much hate .325 chain!! I MUCH prefer 3/8 chain, and I now have all my saws switched over to it. It stays sharp longer for me, and is easier for me to sharpen...

I use Oregon brand bars and chain...

SR

/ Bar and Chain replacement #9  
Regular 3/8 (not lo profile) is a little much for a 50cc saw, in my opinion. Maybe if you're running a 12-16" bar or cutting softwoods.

I have 3/8 on my 550XP and it runs it like crazy, even in hardwood, like this Beech!

standard.jpg

SR

/ Bar and Chain replacement #10  
I run 3/8 on both of my saws. 3/8 is a little big for the little saw, but it stays sharp longer and is easier to sharpen. When the little saw starts to bog I get my bigger saw. I run 20" bars on both my saws. I have a 28" bar for the 372XP, but it makes the saw nose heavy. It's much better balanced with the 20" bar. The 28 cuts a 21" log a lot faster though. I run a 20" bar on the 353 because I found a deal on chain that fits that bar. Otherwise a shorter bar would be better suited. The 3/8 cuts faster than .385 as long as you have the power to pull it. I hurt the performance of my Husqvarna 353 on stuff bigger than about 8-10" with the 3/8 chain, but I can live with that. The 372 cuts 8" or large stuff way faster regardless of what chain is on the 353.