Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,381  
Her measurement is pretty flawed. She didn't track how many miles were actually driven. The car uses electricity for everything including AC, radio, etc. In order to really understand it we need kWh used to charge and actual miles driven. Really bad video.
A real simple way that I prefer is to use miles per kWh of battery usage. In my case dogging it that comes out to be 3.5 miles which is 3 cents per mile to go to town. Interstate driving is more costly.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,382  
A real simple way that I prefer is to use miles per kWh of battery usage. In my case dogging it that comes out to be 3.5 miles which is 3 cents per mile to go to town. Interstate driving is more costly.
Yes that works, but if you want to know the cost you still need to know how much you charged over a time period, and the $/kwh. If you were in a Northern state in the Winter, it would be much lower than 3.5mi per kWh.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,383  
Yes but it is a good starting place. Anyone that is serious about energy conservation should be measuring their own loads, period.

You are talking to someone that lives off grid my friend. I monitor every single load on my system. Unlike most grid tied folks that blindly do whatever they want...I pay attention to the loads.

The article is for grid tied people who are ignorant to their usage...as they are most likely to be duped.
The agency is the one being fooled and passing on faulty information to the consumer. It was my understanding that the agency does no testing on their own and relies solely on what is presented to them by manufactures.

I myself am "on the grid". My electric bill averages about $80 per month for 800kw. Many months I pay more for delivery than power. I will never say "never" but at this moment it doesn't make monetary sense to consider getting "off the grid".

BTW, This was my 1,000th post, averaging about 55 per year. LOL

Kevin

#3,384  

Past on this one unless you have a tool and die background and/or are interested in how Tesla builds the safest car in the world and at 30% less cost than the competition.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,385  
Hah no it uses a front facing camera in the dashboard. Apparently it can tell when you close your eyes for a few seconds, or when resistance is taken off the steering wheel.
My 2017 Dodge has an option for lane control, it will bump the electric steering to keep car in center of lane, if it has to correct to often it will give warnings.

Don't use that feature but the adaptive cruse is a nice feature for driving the interstate.

It also have adaptive breaking that gives "Brake" warning if you get to close, this happens when a car in turning in front of you, but it calculates your closing speed is to fast.

It also has the go sideways button, turn off traction control and just punch it. :)

Dave

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,386  
The agency is the one being fooled and passing on faulty information to the consumer. It was my understanding that the agency does no testing on their own and relies solely on what is presented to them by manufactures.

I myself am "on the grid". My electric bill averages about $80 per month for 800kw. Many months I pay more for delivery than power. I will never say "never" but at this moment it doesn't make monetary sense to consider getting "off the grid".

BTW, This was my 1,000th post, averaging about 55 per year. LOL

Kevin
Sounds like you are a responsible electricity consumer 800kwh is a good number for grid tied! We are at about 450kwh. The girl in the posted video used 2400kwh In a month!

I am not necessarily off grid by choice…I am far enough away that it made more sense to go off grid than pay the USFS $15k for a purple spotted frog ecological impact study to drop a power pole over 50 ft of USFS property. Then we had another few miles to drop poles, on our dime. Total cost was about $45k. I just told them to shove it and went off grid. We don’t regret it.

Oh and congrats on 1000 posts! Now on to 10000 ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,387  
Quick answer at 5:21. At 23 cents per Kwh - 700 miles - $36.14
23 cents a kWh? I didn't watch the video so maybe I missed something but that seems crazy high. I'm paying less than half that.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,388  
23 cents a kWh? I didn't watch the video so maybe I missed something but that seems crazy high. I'm paying less than half that.
my brother gets hit with up to $0.45 at peak usage in calif.

i feel blessed that we pay a base rate of 6.5cents plus the usual utility taxes. i love hydro power.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,389  
She is in the city of Los Angeles. Her bill shows 3 tiers .17, .23, and .24 per Kwh.

#3,390  
Sounds like you are a responsible electricity consumer 800kwh is a good number for grid tied! We are at about 450kwh. The girl in the posted video used 2400kwh In a month!

I am not necessarily off grid by choice…I am far enough away that it made more sense to go off grid than pay the USFS $15k for a purple spotted frog ecological impact study to drop a power pole over 50 ft of USFS property. Then we had another few miles to drop poles, on our dime. Total cost was about $45k. I just told them to shove it and went off grid. We don’t regret it.

Oh and congrats on 1000 posts! Now on to 10000 ;)

She is in the city of Los Angeles. Her bill shows 3 tiers .17, .23, and .24 per Kwh.
Does anyone know what she was talking about when she said she could get a cheaper rate if she put in another meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.