Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,622  
BYD T3 van becomes Australia's cheapest electric car

BYD and Tesla seem to be leading EV OEM players in the world market place. While BYD builds city buses in CA I don't know of their interest in the USA market. Compared to China and western Europe USA EV interest is next to nothing today.

BYD is to be the EV skateboard under the coming Toyota EVs.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,625  
I heard a Camero go by me recently. That big 6.2 V8 sounded nice. How is the faux V8 sound in the replacement?
8F766ED0-4033-4909-B1D9-D916D7C243AA.jpeg

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,626  
No they do a pretty good job of listing them all. Supercharger stations are proprietary to Tesla and only work on Tesla vehicles. Apparently there are no charging adapter standards (the plug or the Voltage/Amps) so its the Wild West. Perhaps one place a government mandated standard would benefit us.
There are plenty of "charging adapter standards". That is the beauty of standards, there are so many to choose from!

The ANSI/SAE committee rejected Tesla's elegant compact design for unified AC/DC on the same pins. Wouldn't agree on DC at all when time ran out and Tesla had to commit to a design for the 2012 Model S. Tesla offered their proprietary plug to the committee who declined. Wussies were afraid of the potential for DC on an AC circuit. AC switches are cheaper than DC. Too short sighted to realize all real EVs would require DC charging.

Eventually the ANSI/SAE committee devised the hideous bastard CCS (Combined Charging System) we see today. Added two pins to the J1772 AC connector hanging off the side for DC. Power limited to 90 kW. Later revisions are rated for 400 kW.

Meanwhile Nissan and the Tokyo Electric Power Company devised CHAdeMO big huge ugly DC-only plug limited to 62 kW. No simple AC. Stood with their hand out expecting to be paid royalties. Only see this plug on Nissan LEAF. Tesla made an adapter to make a CHAdeMO charger connect to a Tesla, I have one. 50 kW (the LEAF limit) is boring.

Tesla's "proprietary" North America plug speaks pure J1772 in AC. Telsa's J1772 adapter is nothing but plastic and metal mating pins with a J1772 socket on one end and Tesla plug on the other. Superchargers do not speak J1772 AC mode.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,627  
What happens if you are on a trip in your EV and while stuck in a typical NYC or WDC traffic jam, your EV battery goes dead? 1000 cars, bumper to bumper behind you and in front of you?
Who/how will they get to you to recharge you?
Cynical, but it’s more of a problem than one thinks.
You can’t just “add a few gallons” to an EV. It takes time to access the vehicle and recharge while blocking traffic.
Others are bound to go dead in the ensuing wait while the original dead vehicle is waiting for/to an emergency charge.
Its not any different than for an ICE. Many ICE vehicles will not restart with a few gallons of gasoline, the fuel system has lost its prime requiring special care (know first hand 2008 F-250 Powerstroke). So just as with an EV, a tow truck is dispatched to bring the vehicle off the road.

OTOH when my Prius ran out of gas I was able to limp on battery to a gas station about a mile away. Filled the tank and car started as if nothing had ever happened. The difference is the Prius shut down when it decided it didn't have enough fuel, not when the fuel pump sucked air.

As for "running HVAC in traffic" unlike an ICE which must consume great overhead to keep the engine running the EV only has to power the HVAC using exactly the same means it alway uses. I have been caught in traffic for hours which made little difference to the range of my Tesla.

Research "Tesla Camp Mode" to get a better idea of how long a Tesla can power its HVAC.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,628  
Given the build it and they will come aspect of Superchargers, I couldn't imagine that Tesla would not list them all.
Every one, including how many active users at the site this moment, is shown on the Tesla navigation system in every car.

And they are all listed right here: Supercharger | Tesla

This independent site is the go-to place tracking known Supercharger building permits: supercharge.info They have a map view but due to costs to host the map view is not the default.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,629  
Sometimes haters have to make things up to have something to hate.

Same law in Alabama. So I purchased my Tesla on Tesla's website on the internet from California. And they shipped it to my house.

I even got a California Temporary Tag. Or what passes as.

Tesla can not sign the paperwork to sell a new car in Texas. Tesla has plenty of showrooms ("galleries" in Tesla-speak) and service centers. Look for yourself: Find Us | Tesla

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,630  
Status
Not open for further replies.