Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,491  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,492  
In the foreseeable future self driving cars are nothing but a pipe dream except in scenarios where they are the ONLY vehicles within a system...i.e., there won't be scenarios where self driving cars are using the same roads etc. as human driven vehicles...

What makes you think that? Self driving vehicles are being tested today. And humans are still on the road.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,493  
What makes you think that? Self driving vehicles are being tested today. And humans are still on the road.
They may be testing them but not without humans ready to take control and (legal) responsibility...The main reason we won't see them on the same sections of roads, lanes etc. as human driven vehicles is because of litigious reasons...

Where is the real need for driverless passenger vehicles ?...in reality it does not exist...yes there are some (a few) scenarios where they could be advantageous but the ways will never meet the means...

#1,494  
My late father's advise was to be careful using the words Never and Always.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,495  
My late father's advise was to be careful using the words Never and Always.

It's not about capability or technology etc...we live in (at least here in America) a litigious world...the technology for flying cars has been around a long time but they have not become a reality for that reason...

I will say in the future we can expect certain areas of dense cities to be declared as driverless only vehicles...

If a driverless vehicle causes damage to another entity who is responsible ?

#1,496  
It's not about capability or technology etc...we live in (at least here in America) a litigious world...the technology for flying cars has been around a long time but they have not become a reality for that reason...

I will say in the future we can expect certain areas of dense cities to be declared as driverless only vehicles...

Elon Musk claims the maker of the technology if it is determined to be at fault.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,497  
Elon Musk claims the maker of the technology if it is determined to be at fault.

The keyword there is "claims"...everybody knows whatever name is on a title is at least partially responsible...and if part of the technology is in the road or roadside stations that belong to a whomever owns said road or stations etc will also be at least partially responsible...
...like I said...it's a pipe dream...!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,498  

Human drivers crash all the time, and we have no problem with that when it comes to blame, automatic system will have logs and videos so blame should be easy to sort out, and people are really very bad drivers so it's not a problem with the few accidents automation will make.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,499  
This is all crazy talk. The next thing you know, planes will have auto-pilot. Wait, what? :p

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,500  

I think something like that shows more promise in a limited area and special use application. It's more along the lines of an automated trolley car. If successful, that lends itself to a more gradual expansion of the covered area, but I see that as different from the revolutionary concept of driverless cars on our current roads.

Even on relatively well-marked roads, the current technology isn't that good at even defining the location of the road. I think there needs to be technology in the road itself to make it reliable.

This could also help with high speed safety. The current technology is pretty good at staying with the flow of traffic. It is not so good at detecting a fixed object that is blocking the road at freeway speed. If the road can tell the car that there is a traffic jam coming up, it could do a better job at gradually slowing down, instead of slamming on the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.