Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,091  
If you scale up wind production by several orders of magnitude. Right now we are already short on power, and we are faced with decommissioning all those old coal burning plants and nuclear power plants that are no longer repairable. It's not the consumption end of hydrogen that is the problem, it's the production end.
You may note there is a large increase of hydrogen producing offshore wind farms

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,092  
That reminded me of when we took one of our kids to a visit to Purdue while selecting colleges. We spent a couple hours with seniors doing a Q&A session about things they learned at Purdue. I specifically remember one engineering student being asked if they had anything they could do over, what would it be. Answer:

”I wouldn’t have taken thermodynamics my freshman year.”
Thermodynamics is an interesting field. Unfortunately it was well above my pay scale and may be for many of us.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,093  
At least we're adding more than we're taking offline. Continuing to make room for the EVS headed our way.

With the way it has been raining since midnight our two local dams may soon be able to boost output.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,094  
The base version with 220+ mile range for under $20K USD with rebate is perhaps the best USA built EV for a couple with 3 younger kids or daily commutes of 175 miles or less. Going for the longer UEV version for $2K more for 3 more inches in the back seat is a thought. The second gen fire resistant battery should be a plus.

Nissan with less range and no active battery cooling is off my option list.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,095  
43A34D21-82CB-49BC-883F-0807C96C6E38.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,096  
That reminded me of when we took one of our kids to a visit to Purdue while selecting colleges. We spent a couple hours with seniors doing a Q&A session about things they learned at Purdue. I specifically remember one engineering student being asked if they had anything they could do over, what would it be. Answer:

”I wouldn’t have taken thermodynamics my freshman year.”
Ha! As a Purdue engineering grad (graduate school though, not undergrad), that made me laugh. Thermo is usually a Sophomore/Junior level course.

It reminds me of the various versions of this cartoon that circulate the internet.

Did I mention I teach Heat Transfer. :)
2a7b545b12c3dbf0b39c91389e1f979f.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,097  
This highlights how the fast evolution of Tesla's battery packs dates them quickly.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,098  
You may note there is a large increase of hydrogen producing offshore wind farms
Orders of magnitude means hundreds of times as many wind farms. The US consumes 3 million barrels of diesel a day.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,099  
Short course on the three laws of thermodynamics:

1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.
3 You can't get out of the game.

James Clerk Maxwell is not as famous as Einstein, but he gave us thermodynamics, electromagnetic theory, and invented color photography in his spare time. He's right up there with Newton and Einstein in brilliance.