Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,241  
The screen went out in Mom's Caddy last year, and it took something like 45-60 days for the dealer to receive a replacement. So, no heat, no radio controls... no nuthin' for a month or two. To GM's credit, the vehicle was still drivable, just not very pleasanty without climate controls in Florida heat.

Not true. In fact, over recent years I've noticed they're reversing course, and adding back most critical functions that had been previously moved to touch screens. Manufacturers have heard loud and clear, that customers and consumer agencies consider a non-tactile screen to be dangerous, for functions you might need to access while driving. If you look at a 2023 model versus a 2015 model, you'll find that on many vehicles, functions that had been once moved into the screen are now appearing again in buttons and knobs.
Well, I'll take you at your word. I haven't driven many 2023 models. Is that the case with Tesla also?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,242  
While some seem to wish for a premature death so they do not have to drive an EV someday, but I'm not in that camp.

I did not sign up for social security until age 70. Therefore, I want to live long enough to make it worth my effort. So I prefer driving the safest car on the road today versus a less than best safe car.
Gale I'm 71, I think you're 72(?) so we're close. I understand 100% why you bought a Tesla and understand your enthusiasm. I hope you understand why EVs not only don't serve the needs of many but some actually find them repulsive!
I'm just like Slim Pickens in this short clip...that's me with all the ICE cars we have.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,243  
It still amazes me how polarizing electric cars are! If yall keep arguing you'll get it figured out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,244  
It's 1888 all over again, the time of "Jack the Ripper" and the all important Westinghouse & Edison feud over AC-DC! As we all know...Westinghouse won out...all at the expense of poor Topsy the Elephant at the 1903 Coney Island demo.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,245  
It still amazes me how polarizing electric cars are! If yall keep arguing you'll get it figured out.
I am predisposed to questioning almost anything the government does that messes with free will and choice. I am smarter than most of our elected idiots. I am not bribed by the elitists with the deepest pockets or getting rich from cashing in on laws passed "for the good of the children".

I can run numbers and can make the best choices for me....just asking the bastards to leave me alone!!!

Mandates and market manipulation for stuff like this are huge red flags for any thinking person. Drinking the Kool-Aid without knowing what is in it is for simpletons and fools. Welcome to Jim Jones and Jonestown...coming to an EV dealer near you.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,247  
Touching that you love my post and your interest in EVs of today and tomorrow. Otherwise, I know you would not be reading the thread and posting anymore than a clear thinking man would go into a bar and complain to the bartender about his serving of alcoholic drinks. :)

Your analogy might work if the bartender had the weight of Federal and State governments backing their push to replace all drink options in the nation with alcohol.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,248  
Your analogy might work if the bartender had the weight of Federal and State governments backing their push to replace all drink options in the nation with alcohol.
Exactly true Tactical ! .....but then Gale's analogies rarely work , but they do have entertainment value ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,249  
Gale thinking back on all the accidents that you or your family have had is there any that the Tesla FSD would have prevented. In other words there are some accident that if you drive defensively you can prevent and then there are some accidents like my last one standing still at a red light and hit from behind that FSD would not have made a difference. I'm sure you do not think all accidents are preventable what % would you say would be prevented by FSD?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,250  
If you're not planning to buy an EV in 2024, ignore.

The ANSI committee rejected NACS and refused to adopt a DC standard way back when Tesla needed to commit to something in order to meet production deadlines for the forthcoming 2012 Tesla Model S.

At the time the ANSI committee didn't believe DC charging was going to be terribly important. "Everyone" but Tesla believed 80 mile commuter EVs would be the 98% solution.

Dr Know-it-all doesn't live up to his name. Paraphrased: "Adapters always lower the voltage so you don't get as fast of a charge as you might without." If the adapter lowered voltage then the difference would be rejected as heat. On 100kW to 250kW lines even the littlest voltage drop would render the adapter too hot to touch.