Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #201  
Hi, I had the Makita, two battery version when it just fot out, it was OK for what we used it for, pruning vineyards. It is gone now, replaced by a Husqvarna 40V, this saw is OK but the whole system from Husqvarna is junk. The batteries act up all the time, you never know when it will work and when wont it I had. 8 batteries, within the last year they all started acting up…

Ditching it all. I have the Husqvarna gas tools, they re great, but this, this should not be called Husqvarna but Chinesium.

Attachments

• 9F3AE30A-A28F-475F-916C-8D96D48F5D95.jpeg
    9F3AE30A-A28F-475F-916C-8D96D48F5D95.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 67
   / Battery powered chainsaw #202  
Has anyone experienced their battery chainsaw throwing the chain? My green works 40 v has thrown the chain more often then my gas saw. Had it tightened and lubed. Power last long enough and like the idea of not having to screw around with hard starting and fuel issues. Thanks

I've thrown the chain a few times, but I think my wife has done it as much as I have and she's used it maybe 5% of the time. Every time I've ever derailed it, it was due to something binding at an odd angle. My theory is with the narrower chain, you just have to be more careful about getting it into a bind that will twist or put side load on the chain.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #203  
Has anyone experienced their battery chainsaw throwing the chain? My green works 40 v has thrown the chain more often then my gas saw. Had it tightened and lubed. Power last long enough and like the idea of not having to screw around with hard starting and fuel issues. Thanks
The bars used on most battery chainsaws are "narrow kerf" bars. They are thinner than those on most gas chainsaws (especially gas saws of 50cc and up. You do see some narrow kerf bars on smaller gas saws.) The narrow kerf takes less power when cutting, which helps the battery life. However, the bars are more flexible. You definitely need to be more careful about putting a slight twist or bend in the bar when operating, which can contribute to throwing a chain. THe longer the bar you are using, the more careful you need to be.

Chain stretch can be an issue, especially with newer chain. It's important to check the tension frequently when breaking in a brand new chain, However, while stretch does vary from brand to brand of chain, it's not really different when using the same chain on a gas vs battery chainsaw.

One other factor that can cause thrown chains: On some chainsaws, the chain tensioning method is less "robust" than others. It seems to be a real issue on some battery saws, which can have lighter-duty chain tensioning and bar mounting methods (some smaller gas saws have the issue as well). Some of the early tool-less tensioning systems were a big problem in this regard. When you combine a bar mounting tensioning system that allows things to drift a bit with the more flexible narrow-kerf bars, you get a saw that is more prone to throwing a chain. Keep the chain tension properly adjusted and be aware of avoiding putting any kind of twisting or bending motion on the bar in order to minimize the chances of this.

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #204  
I own a Milwaukee M18 battery chainsaw. i purchased this for two reasons: it got good reviews, and I already owned a lot of Milwaukee M18 cordless tools, so batteries will interchange. I also appreciate that the bar mounting system is similar to that of my gas chain saws: a two bolt system, rather than the single bolt or single bolt plus stud that some battery saws use. (I'm not a fan of the tool-less bar mount and tensioning system I've seen - whether on gas or battery saws.)

With the proper batteries, the Milwaukee cuts like a good-quality 40cc gas chainsaw. It comes with a 16" bar, which is a pretty good match for its cutting power. (I never have understood the stores that sell 40 cc gas saws with 18" and 20" bars: the balance is off, and that's just too much bar for the saw, especially when cutting hardwoods.) The 40 cc equivalent is a bit small for most of my needs, but it does have it's uses. I have used the Milwaukee for felling 12" hardwoods. It works, but it's not my first choice. It is very handy for clearing trails when a bunch of limbs have come down in a storm. Being able to just pull the trigger and go makes the process a bit less of a pain in the butt. (climbing on and off the tractor every 50 feet or so does get old. At least I don't have to keep restarting the saw.)

Milwaukee's 12 Amp-hour battery will easily outlast the bar oil in the tank, so I do need to remember to keep an eye on that. I'll probably switch to their high-output 6 AH battery in order to better match battery life to the oil tank.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #205  
Kobalt 40V. I highly recommend it. Battery life is amazing. The same batteries also power my circular saw, miter saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, and power washer.
Bought a 80V Kobalt saw at Lowes nearly 5 years ago with an extra battery thrown in. I told my hired handyman to use it like a regular saw to see if it would hold up. His first day he cut down and into pieces an oak tree with a 12 inch butt diameter, before needing a charge. Impressive! Since then I have bought a pile of 40V Kobalt tools including string trimmers, hedge trimmer, chain saw, leaf blower, and pole pruner. All came with a 5 year machine/3 year battery warranty which I used twice for string trimmers and once for a pole saw.
Simply call the Kobalt phone number and they either send a replacement part for a minor problem or authorize a replacement/refund at Lowes for a big problem. Motor went out on the pruner, housing cracked on one trimmer with the motor burning up on the other. Only return issues were the models had changed and I was given a gift card for the original purchase price for one of the trimmers.
The 80V chainsaw and the 40V both work well, get good mileage from the batteries for the first couple of years anyway. As someone else posted, the chains seem to loosen quicker than gas models, but otherwise, I am more than satisfied with Kobalt, especially when I used to have to take my gas chainsaw, pole pruner and string trimmer to the repair shop each Spring to get them started. (Mechanically challenged.) No problems with any charger after about 7 years so far. Batteries for the 80V are expensive but I have 3 now, including the original 2 and all work, just peter out in about 30 minutes.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #206  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
I have a 12" and 16" 40v from Worx. I'm not a lumberjack and mainly use them to clear low branches and cut up fallen trees. But I do love them. Still amazed at how long the batteries last. I cut up 2 trees about 8-10' tall and about 6" diameter into 24" slabs for splitting. I put the batteries on the charger after that. Not because they said I had to (indicator showed 1/2 charged ... but I don't trust those), just because I felt it would be better to have a fresh charge for next time.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #207  
Don't recall throwing any chains on either the Kobalt 40v, Stihl MSA-120 nor the Ryobi 40v 14 inch. The Stihl has an easy adjustment to the chain tension. The Ryobi requires a tool (have to strap it to the stop bar) to loosen the 2 nuts and no screw to tension the chain: just pull the bar out some. Don't recall what the Kobalt had.

Wife wore out 2 Kobalts. They went on recall and could not get any. Had gotten the 2nd one on warranty. First one wore out the brushes. Next one broke a gear inside. This is the wife cutting up a 100 yard long pile of debris and then doing war on our downed trees among invasives.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #208  
I have a greenworks pro 80v. I also have a sthil ms360 (60cc midsize saw), and a dewalt 20v short bar (a toy, but great for awkward delimbing etc)

last year I used the greenworks for clearing a third of acre of pine, 3"-16", rather dense (>100 trees). It was spectacular for my use case compared to the sthil. Quiet. No starting it, no deciding if should idle for next cut or shut off. Lighter. I also limbed and bucked a number of the larger trees.

I would HIGHLY recommend the greenworks 80v IFF your use case is appropriate and if you have a few batteries.

FWIW, for our city yard and garden, the whole greenworks 80v line is fantastic; I no longer have to maintain any gas engines at all at our city property which is a big yearly time saver.

The downsides are, realistically it's less capable saw than my 60cc sthil, it requires about the same upfront investment, and the chain is the narrow pattern (although it's held up fine w/ sharpening for what I asked of it).

Note that costco has two 4ah batteries for $280, which per battery is roughly the all time low amazon price.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #209  
I still have a few craftsman 19V tools and have not bought a battery for them in years, I switched to Milwaukee and bought an adapter to run the Milwaukee batteries on my craftsman tools. I only have a few craftsman left but the adapter will also allow me to plug in my cell phone.
Were did you get the adapter? I have some 19 volt Craftsman tools that still work great but could use a new battery

/ Battery powered chainsaw #210  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
I use an Ego 56 volt 18' bar saw. I also have the weed trimer, leaf blower and lawn mower. Next is a snow blower. They also have a riding mower now. My Cub Cadet still has plenty of years in her so won't go there. They all use the same battery mount. So if I run one down I just grab one of the others while I have the other in the quick charger. It uses an Oregon chain so all my old chains form the gas models fit it. No longer have the gas versions of any of the Egos. I really like not having to due spring tune ups. Just plug the battery in and go to town.