Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw
impressed with this Ryobi 14'' battery powered chainsaw !
Cut several good size trees today and cut them up before the battery needed charging.
If it holds up, I think it's a winner !

/ Battery powered chainsaw #223  
Since I was already deep in the M18 system, I bought the Milwaukee pole saw (with extension) last year, and this year purchased the 16" chainsaw. They both work well. I still have a gas-powered Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar, but prefer to use the Milwaukee whenever I can. The on-tool scrench storage is a nice touch.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #224  
I just saw this thread and I'm not reading the whole 23 pages before I respond, I will later though.
I bought the Greenworks Pro 80V lithium saw and for my uses it's been fine. I don't cut for hours at a time so I've never even had the battery run out of charge. I bought several 4 amp hour batteries because I was afraid they wouldn't last long but I was wrong!

I've also got their backpack blower and I just love that thing! The blower does use more juice so I use the 6 amp hour battery on that and can get my whole area cleaned before running on empty. It's great though, get into the harness, squeeze the trigger and off you go - quiet, light, and powerful. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about going green.

/ Battery powered chainsaw
Each have their place. I love my gas backpack blower. I love not having to stop and go get another battery or wait until one is charged to keep working. But for small tasks, the battery rigs cannot be beat.
I will not be getting rid of my 372xp any time soon (y)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #228  
I will not be getting rid of my 372xp any time soon (y)
I don't think anyone is suggesting that current battery saws are even close to being a good replacement for a 70cc saw. Most of them are lucky to match a good quality 40cc saw. Some are approaching a 50cc saw, but suffer from short battery life and heavy weight (especially as compared to pro-level 50 cc saws). With enough batteries, you can make them work for a full day's use, but that gets cumbersome.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #229  
I don't think anyone is suggesting that current battery saws are even close to being a good replacement for a 70cc saw. Most of them are lucky to match a good quality 40cc saw. Some are approaching a 50cc saw, but suffer from short battery life and heavy weight (especially as compared to pro-level 50 cc saws). With enough batteries, you can make them work for a full day's use, but that gets cumbersome.
Not disagreeing with you...
Battery saws have their place, just as gas powered saw do...
In no way would I expect my EGO saw to do what a gas saw can do, but the convenience of a battery saw in my circumstances (rural/residential to maintain around the property) outweighs the advantages/disadvantages of a gas powered saw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #230  
Not disagreeing with you...
Battery saws have their place, just as gas powered saw do...
In no way would I expect my EGO saw to do what a gas saw can do, but the convenience of a battery saw in my circumstances (rural/residential to maintain around the property) outweighs the advantages/disadvantages of a gas powered saw
Agree completely. I own a Milwaukee M18 battery saw. It's handy around the house and yard. Sometimes I'll toss it in when touring our trails after a storm to clear the odd limb or tree that blew down across the trail. However, if I'm out working for a day in the woods, it gets left at home and the gas saws come along.

I have used the battery saw to fell and buck a couple of 12" hardwoods, but that was more just to see if it would work - it's not a practical choice to do much of that. Even my small gas saw (a 50cc Jonsered 2152) is much faster at that sort of work and significantly lighter. However to make quick work of a few downed limbs around the house, that battery saw certainly is handy.

Last edited: