Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #211  
I use an Ego 56 volt 18' bar saw. I also have the weed trimer, leaf blower and lawn mower. Next is a snow blower. They also have a riding mower now. My Cub Cadet still has plenty of years in her so won't go there. They all use the same battery mount. So if I run one down I just grab one of the others while I have the other in the quick charger. It uses an Oregon chain so all my old chains form the gas models fit it. No longer have the gas versions of any of the Egos. I really like not having to due spring tune ups. Just plug the battery in and go to town.
You'll like the snow blower...
Planning on the self propelled machine?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #212  
Self Propelled, is there really any other way? :)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #213  
One other factor that can cause thrown chains: On some chainsaws, the chain tensioning method is less "robust" than others. It seems to be a real issue on some battery saws, which can have lighter-duty chain tensioning and bar mounting methods (some smaller gas saws have the issue as well). Some of the early tool-less tensioning systems were a big problem in this regard. When you combine a bar mounting tensioning system that allows things to drift a bit with the more flexible narrow-kerf bars, you get a saw that is more prone to throwing a chain. Keep the chain tension properly adjusted and be aware of avoiding putting any kind of twisting or bending motion on the bar in order to minimize the chances of this.
I totally agree and this has clarified what I've been trying to write about.

Avoid the "tool-less" tensioning system. I suspect that normal 'vibration', combined with chain oil are also contributing factors to the "tool-less" bar (and chain) system. You really need to keep your eye on it.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #214  
Were did you get the adapter? I have some 19 volt Craftsman tools that still work great but could use a new battery
Ebay, there are more there now than when I got mine. we have used the usb connector while camping.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #216  
Well - I had to break out the gas saw last weekend! I was doing some tree line cleaning and cut up large branches and such with my little Milwaukee. Cut down a good sized poplar too (it didn't seem big until it shook the ground on landing!) and cut it up into firewood sized pieces.

I cut stuff for about 4 hours and used up my three 6mA batteries. Ran out of juice right before cutting the stump flush. So I had to fire up my nearly brand new Stihl. I've had it about 5 years and probably used it for a combined 3hours. When its running, it is wonderful. But it starts horribly. I could have chewed through the stump faster. But I did get it fired up and the stump cut. Put both away and will sharpen them this weekend.

Each have their place. I love my gas backpack blower. I love not having to stop and go get another battery or wait until one is charged to keep working. But for small tasks, the battery rigs cannot be beat.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #217  
My 60v greenworks doesn't throw chains often but when it does it the drive gear messing them up and they're no longer usable.

It also works much better with the 5ah batteries than the 2ah batteries. Not meaning run time but cut power.
Is it a thin kerf chain? I had a Stihl 160 which did the same thing, no matter how tight I would it down. I was doing a precommercial thinning in trees 20-40 feet tall, 2-5 inches on the butt; and would throw several times per tankful. I bought a "pre-stretched chain" and never had another problem.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #218  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
I have a Makita Dual Battery Brushless 16" (XCU04Z). I haven't used the 18 inch 2-Stroke in over 2 1/2 years. For all smallish jobs, like pruning, branch cutting/trimming, trees up to 8 or so inch's. It is my go to. Sure for BIG jobs a big gasser is needed, but I am so impressed with the Makita and it is always ready. Check Chain oil, snap in batterys. Off you go. Carry a spare set of batteriesif its a realitively big job. I've even trained the wife and last son to use it, where they didn't like the 2-stroke at all. Have sinvce added a weed wacker and blower, both the same brushless 2 battery. Again, haven't touched the gas wacker or blower since.

They really are nice to use and crazy convenient.

Would I recommend it/them, 100%. Several friends have since gotten them and so far still talk to me.

Max

/ Battery powered chainsaw #219  
I picked up a five tool 40V Ryobi kit, lawn mower, trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw. Haven't done much with the saw yet, but for all intents and purposes, it looks and feels like a gasser ... same chain, bar, etc. Can't remember off hand if it's an 18 or 20" bar. I'll be using it for the occasional branch down or light trimming. I gave up on firewood work for other reasons and I have a gasser if I need it.

I like the idea of no fuel and not having to leave it idling, or trying to restart it.

Can't give a long duration comment or speak to battery run time , but what little I've done is OK.
It will run 3 to 4 hours with light work so I usually go out with 3 batteries for the chainsaw and the blade should be a 18. I am clearing maleluca trees on 10 acres and it slices through them nicely...

/ Battery powered chainsaw #220  
It will run 3 to 4 hours with light work so I usually go out with 3 batteries for the chainsaw and the blade should be a 18. I am clearing maleluca trees on 10 acres and it slices through them nicely...
I had to look them up. Yet another invasive which seemed like a good idea to import at the time.