Battery Tester Analyzer

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #1  

goeduck

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
It seems cars and trucks are not as tolerant of a battery on its way out which makes complete sense but it can also leave you stranded with little to no warning. Which is what happened to me for the second time in a little over a year (different vehicles). Our mild climate allows our batteries to easily last 7 to 10 years so they can be overlooked (out of sight out of mind).

Anyone have a battery tester analyzer they would recommend? A quick search turns up some very inexpensive ones to ones you would need to have a mechanics shop to justify. I would rather spend a few bucks than have my wife stranded someday. I never buy bottom of the market for quality reasons but found this one that seems reasonable (BT715 model) for $119 US

Search Result: BT715

Foxwell BT-715 Battery Analyzer Tests Multiple Battery Types

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #2  
I’d would recommend a load tester, I paid about $60 for mine and got it at Oreilys.

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #3  
I became accustomed to carbon pile load testers such as Sun VAT 28 while in automotive school, even well used those are expensive. I trust carbon pile more than digital handheld units. I bought a carbon pile tester at Harbor Freight for a decent price, don't remember...might have been 50-60 dollars. They are pretty simple, not much to go wrong. Make sure the battery is fully charged, load at 50 percent of rated cold cranking amps for 15 seconds, if the voltmeter on the unit reads 9.6 or more you're good....less then it's new battery time.

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #4  
It seems cars and trucks are not as tolerant of a battery on its way out which makes complete sense but it can also leave you stranded with little to no warning. Which is what happened to me for the second time in a little over a year (different vehicles). Our mild climate allows our batteries to easily last 7 to 10 years so they can be overlooked (out of sight out of mind).

Anyone have a battery tester analyzer they would recommend? A quick search turns up some very inexpensive ones to ones you would need to have a mechanics shop to justify. I would rather spend a few bucks than have my wife stranded someday. I never buy bottom of the market for quality reasons but found this one that seems reasonable (BT715 model) for $119 US

Search Result: BT715

Foxwell BT-715 Battery Analyzer Tests Multiple Battery Types

No particular need to buy a battery load tester.
Many auto parts stores will load test your battery for FREE!

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #5  
I was excited about the Foxwell at first, thinking that they tested batteries from 6V - 24V. But - after re-reading the description, I see they're only made to check 12v batteries with voltage as low as 6V. I'd like to find one that would also test my golf cart batteries - which are more expensive than car batteries.

My solution was to buy an inexpensive emergency jump starter for each vehicle, and just leave them in the car/truck. As far as load tester, I've had two that really didn't produce reliable results, and ended up sending both back.

Good luck on your search for

I am simply relying on a hydrometer tester for all of my batteries. It's probably just me, but batteries don't seem to last for me more than 4-5 years at best. I envy those that are getting more than 7 years out of their batteries.

Good luck on your search for the analyzer.

/ Battery Tester Analyzer
No particular need to buy a battery load tester.
Many auto parts stores will load test your battery for FREE!

Yes, but the out of sight out of mind factor precludes me even stopping at the auto parts store to check them. Plus I would have to road my tractors there :cool:

/ Battery Tester Analyzer
I became accustomed to carbon pile load testers such as Sun VAT 28 while in automotive school, even well used those are expensive. I trust carbon pile more than digital handheld units. I bought a carbon pile tester at Harbor Freight for a decent price, don't remember...might have been 50-60 dollars. They are pretty simple, not much to go wrong. Make sure the battery is fully charged, load at 50 percent of rated cold cranking amps for 15 seconds, if the voltmeter on the unit reads 9.6 or more you're good....less then it's new battery time.
That is a good option. Simple. Do you have to take the battery cables off to use them?

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #8  
I got a Topcon ArtiBattery Topcon ArtiBattery 101 from Ebay for $37, after my Subaru wouldn't start when picking up takeout. Had a lithium battery so was able to start it. Not surprisingly, the tester said i needed to replace the battery. I saw a few reviews about them and decided to take the chance. Oh, and it can do in vehicle and out of vehicle test as far as the battery is concerned.

/ Battery Tester Analyzer #10  
had a automotive shop for 30 years. I can count on one hand the number of batteries that failed before their service time was up. (50 month, 60 month etc). Most all failed batteries that we had calls for were peoples cars that were beyond their designed life.

being said most failing batteries will give some indication something is wrong. a few happened overnight. Battery testers also can be tricked and show good readings. Have had a few customers who went all over with problems that couldnt be solved(mostly starter issues) Battery checked at each place. We simply tested and ignored the readings. Wenyt on how the battery reacted to cranking test and the way it took a charge. Put a battery in...problem solved.

You really dont need a tester. keep the battery up to date. If you want to test -disable ignition and crank for 15 seconds. if it sounds as good as when the test started you should be ok.