Belly mower does a ragged job - why?

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #41  
I have an JD X300 and the owners manual says to run the engine at full throttle when engaging the blades. And that’s what I do, I push the throttle wide open and engage the blades and start mowing. Also, according to my small engine repair guy, he told me that a lot of mowers will get too hot if the rpms are too low for too long cause the engine is not getting enough air.

I think it means to run at full throttle AFTER you engage the blades. If you go full throttle before engaging the blades, I predict a short life for your blade clutch. Engage the blades at idle and then go full throttle.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #42  
the turned up portion of the blades is worn....it will not create a good vaccum. replace them....you will hear the difference immediatly.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #43  
I think it means to run at full throttle AFTER you engage the blades. If you go full throttle before engaging the blades, I predict a short life for your blade clutch. Engage the blades at idle and then go full throttle.
Several of us, me included, have mowers whose manuals specifically say to engage at full throttle.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #44  
My riding mower didn't cut worth shucks for years. I finally tightened the belt and solved the problem.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #45  
This entire thread reminds me of another over-engineering story.

NASA in the 60's was under the gun to put a man on the moon. A subset of engineers was charged with developing an ink pen that would write in zero-gravity. Our astronauts had to be able to complete their checklists and make notations and needed a reliable writing instrument.

After months of research and prototypes they partnered with a manufacturer to produce pressurized ink cartridges that worked in space. These pens were also marketed here on Terra Firma because they would write upside-down, etc. (By Papermate, maybe??) We spent millions of dollars and lots of brainpower to overcome this tremendous problem.

The Russians just used a pencil.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #46  
Got a belly mower on my Kubota 2601. I have 160 hours or so on the tractor, maybe 60 or 70 (tops) of them mowing with the belly mower. (The tractor gets used for other things, too.)

The mower cuts grass poorly, leaves streaks, cuts unevenly, leaves stubble of various lengths, just does an ugly job. I don't expect it to manicure the grass, but I think it should be doing a better job than it is. I have a (crappy) garden tractor that does a much cleaner job (when it runs, but that's another story).

The area is pretty flat, no rocks or gravel, the grass is cut fairly frequently, so I'm not asking it to cut down the Amazon rain forest. I've set the anti-scalp rollers according to the manual, and the cut height is usually set between 2 3/4" and 3.5".

I do know the back of the mower deck should be slightly higher than the front, and I know how to adjust it. I can park the tractor on a level concrete floor to make any adjustments. Mowing speed doesn't seem to make any difference, if I am in high range, I just get a crummy job faster than if I am in low range. Throttle is usually set about 2100 rpm, redline is 2600, the grass looks the same but the tractor just makes more noise and burns more fuel.

I'm open to suggestions . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

(The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of ignorance.)
Run it wide open for best performance

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #47  
Dont drive so fast!!! --- THAT is the major problem with most guys--- ya cant mow at 10mph!!
I use an old sunstar 20 and never get out of low range in the hydro. -- Takes a long time but it moes great,---- same with my 185 lo-boy and creeper gear----- get going too fast and ya it quits cuttin and just fans the grass! lol!
Try running slower just for the heck of it!

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #48  
Several of us, me included, have mowers whose manuals specifically say to engage at full throttle.
Several of us are reading directions written by people with poor English skills and not involved in the logic of what they are saying. It is 100% obvious that you can minimize the wear/tear/jerk by engaging the mower at a low rpm before revving it up. Duh ! The manual saying to "engage" at full throttle needs to be rewritten to say "operate at full throttle" not "engage at full thorttle."

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #49  
I'll let the sharpener guy look at them in the next day or so. If I need new blades, I'll get them. No biggie.

I did look at the parts book for the RCK54 mower - there doesn't appear to be the right side guide plate/baffle plate as on the left side. I'll check with the dealer Tuesday.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Your Plan post just before this one is a good one. I suspect you may have a missing or bent set of baffles (on your list) and may need new or sharpened blades. MMM are notoriously touchy for best setup in terms of scalping height adjustyment, angles, etc. If your baffles are good and your blades are good and your rpms are full rated rpms, it will cut smooth and mostly free of standing scraps.

/ Belly mower does a ragged job - why? #50  
This entire thread reminds me of another over-engineering story.

NASA in the 60's was under the gun to put a man on the moon. A subset of engineers was charged with developing an ink pen that would write in zero-gravity. Our astronauts had to be able to complete their checklists and make notations and needed a reliable writing instrument.

After months of research and prototypes they partnered with a manufacturer to produce pressurized ink cartridges that worked in space. These pens were also marketed here on Terra Firma because they would write upside-down, etc. (By Papermate, maybe??) We spent millions of dollars and lots of brainpower to overcome this tremendous problem.

The Russians just used a pencil.
Not a true story: Fact or Fiction?: NASA Spent Millions to Develop a Pen that Would Write in Space, whereas the Soviet Cosmonauts Used a Pencil

If fact it's believed that the graphite is what sparked the fire that killed Grissom and crew.