Best Implement to collect grass clippings ?

/ Best Implement to collect grass clippings ? #1  

roygul

Tractor
Jd 2305,Antonio Carraro trx 9400, JD 10 TLB
Hi all,

I'm on about 15 acres and Mulch about 10 (steep with the odd rock, varying from 20 - 40 degrees) of it 4 times a year. Keeps the fuel load down for bush fires etc. I,ve been thinking of collecting the grass and dumping it into a compost pile to generate my own top soil for other projects.

I'm not quite sure on what implement to use for this. I have a JD 2305. A TLB 110 (Without the 3 pnt hitch but 4 in 1 bucket), and a Antonio Cararo TRX 9400 (Used to drive the mulcher and mow the steeper parts).

I'm comfortable going up and down the 20 degree stuff on all 3.

Any thoughts on how I would go about this ? or is it just a bad idea.

Cheers
Byron

/ Best Implement to collect grass clippings ? #2  
Seems most of the collection systems are small and or top heavy so these might be a problem on your slopes. I use the Deere MC519 cart behind my mower and that would require lots of frequent dumping.

Have you considered a large pto blower to condense these clippings? This might enable you to blow the debris off the slopes to a more workable area to bunch and gather.

/ Best Implement to collect grass clippings ?
Not quite sure what a pto blower is ? Like a big leaf blower pointed to one side ? I was wondering about some sort of rake. It doesnt need to be perfect. The material left after the fail mower does it job is about 2 inchs thick. I could rake down the slopes and maybe scope it up onn the 110 and haul it to a pile ?

Any Idea how many yards of soil I maybe able to compost from about 10 Acres ? Is there a rough rule of thumb ?

Cheers
Byron

/ Best Implement to collect grass clippings ? #4  
We do a lot of scrub clearance often using our grader, but sometimes also using our de-stoner box (similar to the grader, but slatted) to move the piles of scrub. I also use the de-stoner to rake our paddocks - if it set so the legs tilt back slightly (ie. longer top link) it will collect debris without lifting the soil....

We had ours purpose built by a local firm here in Spain - here is a photo of one from their website (note ours doesn't have the blade running along the base of the tines):

destoner.jpg

If you have any engineers locally, shouldn't cost too much to get something similar built for your job... :thumbsup: