Best inexpensive tool cabinet?

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet?
I have good intentions of getting organized, but my fallback seems to be 5 gallon buckets and plastic dish pans. Habits I picked up from my dad. :giggle:
Yeah I've got plastic bins with mixed tools. It's somewhat difficult to find drill bits with this system. :oops:

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #32  
Title says it all for the most part., I'm in the market for a tool cabinet to get organized.

I have a mixture of small hand tools and power tools and would love to be able to store everything in a uniform setup that saves spaces and keeps things organized.

I currently have open shelving that I'm not very good with... I need drawers and some closing door cabinets for things like worm saws or my little welder.

I've seen tool cabinets all over the place, and some seem to be of pretty decent quality for the price. Then there are built in setups too, maybe a possibility in addition to a rolling cabinet.

What tool cabinet and shop organization setup do you have and would you buy it again?

I bought my second tool chest many years from Costco when they first had the large model Hammerhead stainless steel chest at a great price.

As someone already mentioned, I would look for used tool chests on Craigslist, Nextdoor for sale, Facebook marketplace etc.

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #34  
If you want new, it is hard to beat the HF US General line of tool boxes. Mine has been awesome. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of mid-range boxes and it was hard to even equal let alone beat HF.

For used watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Always deals showing up

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #35  
I think Home Depot's Husky has HF beat. I bought three of the 46" models this year to replace my old MAC boxes. $350 apiece.

147427844_4042143449129725_5079945629419994679_o.jpg

Last edited:
   / Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #36  
Title says it all for the most part., I'm in the market for a tool cabinet to get organized.

<snip>

What tool cabinet and shop organization setup do you have and would you buy it again?
And for shop organization I'm heavily into pallet racking. Here is where I try to put a few of the numerous pictures I've uploaded to TBN showing my pallet racking

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0727.jpg
    8x6SAM_0727.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 8x6SAM_0773.jpg
    8x6SAM_0773.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 526
  • 8x6SAM_0768.jpg
    8x6SAM_0768.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 530
but this new system HAS NO ORGANIZATION for attachments. So it was a pain just to dig up those.

Pallet racking is available in all sizes, putting it together is like tinkertoys or Lego. If you need to reconfigure it it's a 1 man job and I've done it several times.

Last edited:
   / Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #37  
I would pick a wall and get a HF stack or two and the rest of the wall I would load up with heavy duty kitchen bases. Get some overhead cabinets to match.
You would have a 24" work base that way to work on using a Formica top..
That would give you a place for sockets and hand wrenches etc. and a place for chainsaws and larger items.
I'd like to hear more opinions on kitchen-style bases. My concern is that tools tend to be a lot heavier than cooking implements or pots and pans and that even sturdy cabinets would be overloaded. Also, for something heavy and bulky like a power saw bending down and pulling it out of a cabinet is an awkward motion.

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #38  
FWIW: I put heavy items like air tools, saws and routers in drawers. No lifting, no bending. Lighter stuff goes lower down.
My only two cents on kitchen bases is make sure that the drawer slides are heavy duty and come all the way.

All the best,

Peter

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #39  
I have a number of tool boxes. One that is at my house is a KOBALT that I bought at Lowes. It's a 6' tall 6' wide stainless steel setup. Decent quality fairly large and it was like 2k. At my shop I bought a used Snap On chest that's 90" or so wide and pretty deep. Obviously the quality is superior, but it was used..a few slight blemishes but I only paid 1500.00 for it. I then hung a HF side box on the side of it to hold cans and some other larger things. Put a HF rolling chest on the other side as well. The rolling chest from HF is like 300.00 and takes about 1 hr to assemble. Quality is what it is. .. for light use it's fine. Heavy usage would turn it to scrap metal in short order. As stated win earlier posts.. keep chcking Craig's list. I think if you pay a littl more for quality..you wont have to buy it again and spend more again.

/ Best inexpensive tool cabinet? #40  
I had a Craftsman rolling toolbox a few decades ago and it was OK. I wouldn't buy anything Craftsman today. I did not like having my tools in there. I tend to put things down and forget where I put them, so I was always looking for my tools.

When I built my current shop, I remembered that Auto Shop in High School had all their tools on a wall so you could see every tool. What was really good about this is that you could also see if a tool was missing!!! I have all my tools on display so I can see if one is missing. All my wrenches are on a screw, with metric on one side, standard on another side, and every size next to the bigger size. If I have two or three of the same size, I use a longer screw. Same with screwdrivers, wrenches and everything else. Sockets are in a tray on my workbench so I can see if any are missing.

Other tools like sanders, PEX, Copper, sheetrock and so on are all in individual plastic tool boxes with what's in them written with permanent markers so I can see what's there and grab the correct toolbox for the job I'm doing.

All my shelves are open so I can see what's there, and how much I have to use. Nail gun nails are all sitting on a shelf, just like light bulbs and spray lubricants. I can stand in front of my bench and see everything without moving.