Best UTV?

/ Best UTV? #1  

Dan Harris

Tractor
Kubota RTV x1140
We are looking for advice on the purchase of a utility vehicle. We have a remote cabin 7,000 ft elevation, with a 500 ft driveway on a 22% grade. We need the UTV to be at least a 4 seater to occasionally transport guests, as well as haul heavy loads of building materials up, and down the steep grade. The UTV will only be used for these purposes up, and down the steep drive path. We also will need a snow removal attachment. We are in the process of researching the best UTV for our specific needs. We are strongly considering the Kubota X 1140, but are a little overwhelmed with the vast amount of choices available, and need to narrow it down. We would be grateful for input from experienced UTV owners.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Dan

/ Best UTV? #2  
I like the Deere UTVs (I own an 855D)...my second choice would be Kubota...especially the RTV 1140 which converts from 2 seats with a long bed to a 4 seater with a short bed. I priced both a new Deere 865D and the RTV 1140...both in the $20K-$25K range with some options...bit too rich for my blood (especially since my 855D only has just over 100 hours on it). Getting a machine with a factory cab will add more $$$.
Adding a snow plow with integral hydraulics is going to add another $2400 or more...

I do suggest getting a windshield if you don't go for a full cab.

When one gets into the price range of these UTVs....you have to consider going for a used (beater) pick up with an extended cab (for those occasional visitors). You could probably pick up a used Toyota Tacoma for considerably less then a dressed UTV and would have more creature comforts.

/ Best UTV? #3  
how mechanically inclined are you? Roy makes a good point about spending 20K on a UTV vs buying a used 4x4 vehicle.

is this a place you live at or visit? when it comes to snow removal can you start at the top? or do you have to start at the bottom? have you dealt with snow here in the past?

/ Best UTV? #4  
If you want it strictly as a work vehicle you're right on the mark with the Kubota. If you have any recreational uses planned also, you might want to look at some of the competition for a smoother ride and higher than 24 mph top speed. I got a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 because it has an automotive style gear transmission rather than the belt driven CVT type that most UTV's use. I've had it for a couple of years now and have worked it hard with no issues.

I've had several recalls on mine for clutch and cabin heat issues which I didn't actually have a problem with, but mine was a first year model. I will say mine shifts smoother since they did the update on the clutch.

/ Best UTV? #5  
I bought a 2018 Kawasaki Mule last year. Sits six people easily. In fact, I have hauled 7 adults (six in the seats and one in the bed), a toddler and 2 dogs in it with no problem. The bench seats look plain, but they are comfortable and very versatile. Everyone that gets in it remarks how smooth it is. I looked a little at the Kubota but my Kawasaki dealer is right down the street and the price was right at just over $14k. I like the half doors, they keep rocks, mud and brush out. I really have no complaints so far. Everything on the engine looks like it will be easy to access with the bed tilted up. Like lots of things, it could use more storage. There can be bins under the front seat, but that isn't very practical as the seat just pops off, it is not on hinges. Those who say it isn't fast enough at 45 mph top end are crazy. No way I would drive one of these utility vehicles at that speed. Fastest I have had it is a little over 30 mph.

I looked at the specs for the diesel mule. I think it had less torque than the gasser and couldn't pull any heavier of a load. I got over wanting a diesel. Kawasaki has gas mules down oat and have for decades.

The diesel Kubotas are rated for 1300 lbs towing while the gas mule is rated for 2000.

MULE.jpg

Last edited:
   / Best UTV?
We are looking for advice on the purchase of a utility vehicle. We have a remote cabin 7,000 ft elevation, with a 500 ft driveway on a 22% grade. We need the UTV to be at least a 4 seater to occasionally transport guests, as well as haul heavy loads of building materials up, and down the steep grade. The UTV will only be used for these purposes up, and down the steep drive path. We also will need a snow removal attachment. We are in the process of researching the best UTV for our specific needs. We are strongly considering the Kubota X 1140, but are a little overwhelmed with the vast amount of choices available, and need to narrow it down. We would be grateful for input from experienced UTV owners.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Dan

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately our drive path is not wide enough for a conventional vehicle. It is 6 ft wide at the pinch points, with loose/soft decomposed granite as the terrain with the 22 % grade.

/ Best UTV? #7  
Transmission and altitude should be important considerations.

HST in utility vehicles has the same advantages has HST in tractors. Kubota diesel RTVs use the same engines and HST transmissions as Kubota tractors. HST develops max torque as the vehicle begins to move. For a work vehicle, Kubota is a top choice. If you want to go FAST, HST is not your best choice.

Keep in mind that at 7,000 feet normally aspirated engines, diesel or gas, will be down about 20% in engine power output, so you should probably consider only 24.8 horsepower models.

Add your location to your T-B-N PROFILE.

Last edited:
   / Best UTV?
We are located in Big bear Lake, Ca

/ Best UTV? #9  
Be sure to check out the Mahindra mPact, too. Built in the US by Intimidator.

You can buy an Intimidator, but they don't have any local (in California) dealers.

Very impressive machines, but more $ than I can justify.

/ Best UTV? #10  
We are located in Big bear Lake, Ca

Wonderful.

Put Big Bear Lake, California, in your T-B-N PROFILE, like every single on of your respondents, so BBL, California shows with every post you make.