Blower vs. Plow

/ Blower vs. Plow #41  
TMcD_in_MI said:
Everybody's situation is a little different, it seems.
Tom

"Horses for Courses", is what we say around here.

We live in NW MI (LP). Probably somewhere around where TMcD blows snow. Can you say "Lake Effect"?? We can get a quick 6-8" snowfall over nite that wasnt even forecast by the "weather guessers". Normal winter snows are in the 250" range. Usually get a 20-24" blizzard or two every winter.

Our drive is paved and not even that long- 400' or so but all downhill and ya cant push snow across the town road- that's illegal. And big turnarounds in front of barn and garage, etc. Commercial plow trucks just make a mess out of our drive, build up ice underneath (NOT GOOD) all the time, etc etc. They try to plow uphill and then have nowhere to put it, etc etc.

Sooooo, a 60" NH 3PH blower stays on our K GL 3010 all winter along with the FEL. With any significant amt of snow at all, just backout of the barn, twice down the drive with the blower and - DONE except for cleanup in front of doors, walks, etc.

Horses for Courses. If I lived in KY, I'd just get a plow and be done with it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody. :)

Natty B.

/ Blower vs. Plow #42  
Dutch445 said:
Snow Blower - REAR STEER / ERSKINE™ ATTACHMENTS, INC.

a link to a rear, pull type snowblower that would work great in your
conditions. yes, more expensive than a blade. (and personally i think the
blade is the way to go) but if you want a blower, I would think you
would love this style, and not have to back up. I don't expect that you
would get any amount of snow that would prohibit the tractor from driving
thru, and with smaller snowfalls, your groundspeed should be pretty decent.
they are a quality machine.. and maybe other manufacturers make the same style.

Hi Dutch,

That is a nice alternative to the backing up 3pt blower. Any idea what these would go for (sized appropriately) for a Deere 2520 ? just curious

/ Blower vs. Plow #43  
I use both, and the plow is much quicker for sure so I use it on the small storms,when we get a heavy snow fall I put the blower on as it gets the snow up and out of the way.The problem with a plow is you will get snow banks and will eventually have to deal with them. I plow or blow about 600ft. plus a small parking area.I use both the plow or the blower on the rear and leave the bucket on at all times. I am 65 yrs. old and don't have any problem working backwards.The bucket is just to usefull to take it off.Be sure your tractor will go slow enough for a blower if you go that route as I had to have creeper gears installed on my tractor to accomplish the right speed for the snow conditions at hand.

Good Luck,

/ Blower vs. Plow #44  
ducati996 said:
Hi Dutch,

That is a nice alternative to the backing up 3pt blower. Any idea what these would go for (sized appropriately) for a Deere 2520 ? just curious

Ducati,
they run about $3,500 for the 60", which should run fine on the 2520...at about 800#. There are options for hyd. chute and deflector control available.

:D

/ Blower vs. Plow #45  
I live about 400' off the road in a hilly wooded 10 acres. Lots of nice trees, but not many places to store snow in the winter. I plow the little snows early in the season, mainly because it's faster, and I'm waiting on my dirt drive to freeze and covered with a good base of snow. I live in a lake effect area of Michigan [N/E of Traverse City] west of Vanderbilt, and we usually get so much snow that there is little frost in the ground except where I plow [not this year]. If I took down more trees and plowed wide enough to store the winters snow, I'd end up with a wide area that had deep frost. As it is now, since I use a blower later in the year, there is little frost other than the 12' or so width I keep clear. So in the spring, when most peoples drive turns to mush, mine stays pretty good, because the water can seep into the unfroze ground next to the drive. I have several neighbors that go the plow route, and they end up with a big wide mud pie untill the frost goes. Plowing is faster, and more fun, but blowing snow has it's advantages, too. I use a JD2240[51ptoHP] with a 80" blower, and a JD420[20HP] with a 54" front blade.

/ Blower vs. Plow #46  
Dutch445 said:
Ducati,
they run about $3,500 for the 60", which should run fine on the 2520...at about 800#. There are options for hyd. chute and deflector control available.

:D

Thanks you for the info - Does that seem a little pricey for basically a 3pt blower turned around? I know I might be over Simplifying it....its almost the same as a front mount is my point and much more than the standard 3pt

/ Blower vs. Plow #47  
ducati996 said:
Thanks you for the info - Does that seem a little pricey for basically a 3pt blower turned around?

I bought a slightly used 84 inch double augur, 2 stage hydraulic chute snow blower used for $1800 (delivered).
Bob

/ Blower vs. Plow #48  
joe48 said:
The plow is mounted in my bucket and swung manually for now, do hydralics when I can. I used 2 pieces of angle bolted at the back of the bucket. The plow frame pins to the angles useing the stock mounts. The farther back the angle can be mounted the better, as this will shorten the length of the whole rig and lessen the side push with plow angled. Also this method eliminates having to use a chain from plow to top of bucket to lift plow, the bucket bottom lifts plow ,but still allows flexing.
Best part is this setup is cheap easy and quick, takes ten minutes to bolt on angles and 5 min to hook up plow, angle iron and bolts , maybe $5.00.
joe48
Joe, your set up sounds like something I'd like to try but I just can't visualize it. Got any pictures to help me out?

Happy New Year to you & all my friends on TBN!!

/ Blower vs. Plow #49  
zzvyb6 said:

From my perspective here in central Michigan, the plow wins every time. Ground speed is the key factor. I do 800' of driveway and both directions of a 3/4 mile county road just to get out on the main highway. I can do a few neighbor's drives at the same time. The blower is great for snow dispersal way off the road but the reverse gear limit just kills you. You could even try to argue that mounting up the machine is easier, but the plow wins every time in moderate to deep snow, here. You need some weight and 4wd to get the most out of it but you already have that. I'm amused by people who are crawling down their driveways going 3 mph backwards to use their expensive pto blowers but if you have a life other that clearing a 300' driveway get a 4wd truck and a tractor mounted plow. You win very time.:)

That is kinda what I seem to have experienced. Mu plow being quickwer as long as there is some place to push the snow. In my locations there always is.

/ Blower vs. Plow #50  
It is a little pricey, but they make a very good snowblower,
heavy and they work well.
Compared to the JD front mounts, at about 3K for the 47 and
4500 for the 59, it isn't so bad. I think that there are so
many other lighter 3ph blowers available, that it makes this
price a little seem a bit steep also.