Boiled peanuts

/ Boiled peanuts #11  
Was given a sample at a Quick-Stop type store in S. Carolina when we visited Myrtle Beach a few years back. Great state; wonderful people, but boiled peanuts are not for me...or grits either. Give some of those wonderful fried oysters; grilled shrimp and baked Red Snapper.

/ Boiled peanuts #12  
My throat is starting to swell up now by just reading this thread.

/ Boiled peanuts #13  
Around here, it's not unusual at all to find someone sitting in a parking lot with a pickup truck and a peanut boiling apparatus, selling them out of the boiler.
Were the hulls you ate the hulls of immature peanuts? Even boiled, shells of mature peanuts are woody.

/ Boiled peanuts #14  
Was given a sample at a Quick-Stop type store in S. Carolina when we visited Myrtle Beach a few years back. Great state; wonderful people, but boiled peanuts are not for me...or grits either. Give some of those wonderful fried oysters; grilled shrimp and baked Red Snapper.
I prefer to boil my own. Some of the store bought ones are far too salty for my taste.

Last edited:
   / Boiled peanuts #15  
I prefer roasted peanuts; or better yet, in Sharn Jean's "World's best Peanut Brittle!".

==========================================

Peanut Brittle

1 cup white Karo syrup

1 cup sugar

1 and 1/2 cups raw peanuts

dash of salt

1 and 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Combine syrup, sugar, salt and raw peanuts. Pour into electric skillet and cook until it turns caramel color (about 350 degrees).

Turn off heat and add baking soda, stir slightly. Pour onto buttered foil and let it spread by itself.

Cool and break into pieces.
========================================

I sympathize with those of you who live up North, but were raised in the South and Southwest; my daughter lived in Michigan for a couple of years...she said she couldn't find raw peanuts or okra.

/ Boiled peanuts #16  
I do like roasted peanuts, can eat them by the bag full going down the road. Kind of helps when you get tired and need to do something to keep awake. The mess in the truck is one reason I refrain most times. As far as boiled, no thanks. I do not like those slimy things! Pretty sure your not supposed to eat the hulls though, or at least everyone I see eats them and tosses the hulls.
I have a nice handmade stainless steel pot made by a late friend. Too big for the stove in the house, but works on a propane burner. I am thinking that I might drag it out and give a try at cooking up some boiled peanuts for my Wife and Daughter, as they are up in Nashville taking a business education class. Might be a good surprise for them to come home and find a pot of boiled peanuts waiting on them. Or I could just drive down the street about 5 miles and get some from the guy who does it all the time. I wonder if he has any roasted ones that I can get for me!!
David from jax

/ Boiled peanuts #17  
When I was in college someone in our group shared house was boiling peanuts when I came back from my morning classes. At 1st breath I said, "God, who is boiling piss!?" Irony - peenuts.

/ Boiled peanuts #18  
When I'm in South Carolina, I've had boiled peanuts a few times, in bars and restaurants. After two or three, I can't stand the taste. Maybe I've never had them done right, but I've tried them enough to give up.

I try to be open minded. I used to not care for grits, but once I had shrimp and grits done right, I'm converted.

/ Boiled peanuts #20  
If done right, they are great! Salty, mushy, peanutty. I get them from roadside vendors boiling them every time I travel South. I did not use to like them in my youth. I liken them to beer - they are sort of an acquired taste. Have wet-wipes handy and shell receptacle. Oh, almost forgot - they do lose much of their appeal if cold. Best had hot right out of the boiler!!!!