Bolt on bucket teeth

/ Bolt on bucket teeth #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
Titan was all sold of their teeth kits so I bought these>>6 Toothbar Shanks, Teeth, & Pins, For Loader Buckets, 23, 23SP, D5175, TF23D | eBay
Then bought this>> Titan Attachments 72" Custom Toothbar Kit Skid Steer Excavator Kubota Bobcat DIY 498262188 | eBay

Then I put the two together, course the way I do stuff I had do it three times. Since this wasn't a one brand kit, the tooth shanks I thought didn't go back enough on the 1/2"x4" flat bar, so with me and my bright ideas I decided to champfer/tapper the front edge of the flat bar to get the shanks back another 1/2"-ish, I know what a waste of time. So idea mistake No.1, I started to sand and grind the tapper but it was taking to long, mistake 2> I decided to cut the tapper with acetylene torch, it was rough but got it then smooth out the tapper with grinder then laid it on the bucket, clamped down and tacked a shank on each end and called it a night.

Wanted to finish it Sat morning, went out to the shop and happen to look down the length of it on bucket and noticed the bend, cutting the tapper on that flat bar bent the bar 1" in 5', wow couldn't believe that. So since I like straightness the only option was to cut it in 2 places, clamped the crap out of it on top of two angle bars and welded the it back together, back to a straight bar again.

Then clamped back down on bucket, tacked the two bolt-on bars at each end and shanks , mistake 3> I put 1/16 gap on the bolt-on bars at each end, un-clamped the bar for test fit, it went on and off to hard so I cut one shank and bolt-on bar off and shorten another 1/8", put back on with 1/8" spacers on both ends, clamp down and re-tack the bolt-on bar and shank back on, NOW it slides on and off good. So now did the math to spaced out the other 4 shanks and tacked them on flat bar. Then drilled out the holes at each end and bolted together.

Now this I thought might happen, with the flat bar all clamped down and bolted, welded all the shanks, let cool then take off. When it came off the flat bar curled up about 3" from the welding, more then I thought so flipped it over, clamped and heated the flat bar up in two places, got it back down to about 1/2" curl, close enough. Set it back on, put a 1/4" spacer on one end so not to bend bucket, tight it all up. The moral of the story is dont tapper the edge of a 1/2" x4" flat bar with acetylene torch.

IMG-6033.JPG IMG-6031.JPG IMG-6038.JPG IMG-6057.JPG

/ Bolt on bucket teeth
IMG-6060.JPG IMG-6059.JPG IMG-6058.JPG

/ Bolt on bucket teeth
We found that the best way to get these pins in is vice grips and hammer with never seize that wont seize for at least 2 months. Did some test digging and the teeth sure do make a difference, highly recommend bucket teeth, just dont put them on the same way I did.
oP7oZG5h.jpg

Sx0JB7dh.jpg

/ Bolt on bucket teeth #4  
I found many times I needed something more to make my bucket work better. I welded up some teeth and I certainly can dig into and move manure better. I realize now that my teeth are upside down but they still work. Being a cheapskate I only used old steel I had lying around. As you can see, the steel plates I used on the underside are from exercise equipment. Finally I decided to bolt the unit on with two 1/2 bolts through the bottom of the bucket. Because my teeth are sloped down I cannot dig really well in hard clay but then again its still better than with a flat edge bucket. 20200516_090900.jpeg20200514_185307.jpeg20200515_100304.jpeg20200514_141550.jpeg20200515_153319.jpeg20200515_153536.jpeg20200515_153529.jpeg

/ Bolt on bucket teeth #5  
We found that the best way to get these pins in is vice grips and hammer with never seize that wont seize for at least 2 months. Did some test digging and the teeth sure do make a difference, highly recommend bucket teeth, just dont put them on the same way I did.
Overall they look aggressive. Very nice.

/ Bolt on bucket teeth #6  
I found many times I needed something more to make my bucket work better. I welded up some teeth and I certainly can dig into and move manure better. I realize now that my teeth are upside down but they still work. Being a cheapskate I only used old steel I had lying around. As you can see, the steel plates I used on the underside are from exercise equipment. Finally I decided to bolt the unit on with two 1/2 bolts through the bottom of the bucket. Because my teeth are sloped down I cannot dig really well in hard clay but then again its still better than with a flat edge bucket.
If they work then they are not upside down :thumbsup: and they certainly look like they work!

/ Bolt on bucket teeth
I found many times I needed something more to make my bucket work better. I welded up some teeth and I certainly can dig into and move manure better. I realize now that my teeth are upside down but they still work. Being a cheapskate I only used old steel I had lying around. As you can see, the steel plates I used on the underside are from exercise equipment. Finally I decided to bolt the unit on with two 1/2 bolts through the bottom of the bucket. Because my teeth are sloped down I cannot dig really well in hard clay but then again its still better than with a flat edge bucket. View attachment 656004
I can relate to that, some of us have to use what we have.........
I think you have the teeth on right for digging rocky dirt but for scrapping up a barn floor they might better the other way, like you say though what a difference to have something for teeth. Now that I think back of all the digging I did with just the bucket edge, I really over worked my tractor, just dont know why teeth on a bucket is not talked about that much here, I cant empathize enough how much better teeth are on a FEL is!!!

/ Bolt on bucket teeth
Overall they look aggressive. Very nice.

Yes they are, thy'er just right for digging rock dirt, I can flip the rocks right out. I highly recommend this style teeth with 6 on a 5' bucket

/ Bolt on bucket teeth #9  
I have a 72" tooth bucket I use on my Cat 246. Primarily to tear up my road when the pot holes get really bad. About a month or so ago they were so worn, a couple actually fell off. I ended up just putting a cutting edge on the bucket because the bucket itself was so worn. I wish Cat had the option to bolt teeth to the bucket with a cutting edge on at the same time.

/ Bolt on bucket teeth
Thats a lot of scrapping to ware down bucket teeth. And why cant a bolt on tooth bar be added to a skid steer bucket?