Box blade width?

/ Box blade width? #1  

Greenvalleymatt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626, started with a 49 8n
I got a good deal on a box blade and chain harrow when I purchased my used shredder, or so I thought. I was paying 675$ for a used 5ft shredder, but the guy had a 48 inch rhino box blade and a heavy duty chain harrow next to them, so I offered him 1000$ for all three. I figured 325$ for a blade, and chain harrow both in good shape was a great deal, but now I'm realizing my mahindra 1626 runs 5ft attachments to match the back wheels. What are the drawbacks to using a less wide blade than the rear tires, and is there a way I can set it up to prevent tire tracks from being an issue? I thought if I set the links to one side to match one tire maybe I could just work side to side to cover my tracks?

/ Box blade width?
Pics of bx48 for entertainment purposes
Polish_20210518_172006072.jpeg

/ Box blade width? #3  
GOOGLE SEARCH: what size box blade for 25 hp tractor

Mount your newly acquired Box Blade on the TPH and see if your Mahindra has enough hydraulic adjustment to set BX Box Blade solidly on the dirt.

The Mahindra TPH Top Link at its shortest may be longer than a BX Top Link at its longest.

Box Blade may pull dirt or it may not. The Box Blade you acquired is light and Texas soil is mostly tough.

Weight per unit of width is the key metric for ground contact implements.

Last edited:
   / Box blade width?

Mount your newly acquired Box Blade on the TPH and see if your Mahindra has enough hydraulic adjustment to set BX Box Blade solidly on the dirt.

The Mahindra TPH Top Link at its shortest may be longer than a BX Top Link at its longest.

Box Blade may pull dirt or it may not. The Box Blade you acquired is light and Texas soil is mostly tough.

I understand how to use Google, most results take me here for tractor questions. The majority of the posts said the same thing, blade as wide or wider than the back tires. But in my case I've already purchased a box blade, before I knew this suggestion, and like I said when I picked up my mower it was sitting right there, and in too good of shape to pass up for the price. I'm more looking advice on wether people have used blades smaller than their tractor with with no issues, hoping someone would tell me it's no big deal, just more passes and whatnot.

/ Box blade width?
Pic of actual blade that I bought

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_065714438.jpg
    IMG_20210519_065714438.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
   / Box blade width?
This 48 inch blade will sit right smack dab between the middle of both rear tires, with about 7 inches of tire overhanging on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_070346345.jpg
    IMG_20210519_070346345.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
   / Box blade width?

Also thanks for that advice, I'll check that out once we get past our monsoon season this year. Would you think on the case of it not sitting flat on the ground that a hydraulic top link would be of any help with that?

/ Box blade width? #8  
Whether or not you can live with the narrow box blade depends upon what you are using it for.
If your uses is to dress up a driveway or parking area, it can be done with extra passes, it will be time consuming but can be done.
Another issue with a wider box blade is overloading the traction of the tractor with the box full of material (a need for the smaller BB)
If you want to level a large area, the BB narrower than your wheel stance, means that after the 1st pass, you will always have one wheel on what has been bladed and one wheel on un-bladed ground. Yes this can be adjusted with the 3ph tilt function, but 1 adjustment is unlikely to be right for a large area as if soil was level, why are you leveling?

I do not know your 1626 at all. Can your wheel width stance be adjusted?

How does your wheel center mount to the rim? Is it 1piece welded together or adjustable by mount tabs and ears?

Is welded, can you change sides with your wheels? Dish in arrangement would make the stance narrower. Of course this makes the tractor less stable as you make the width narrow (bad ideal for any slope beyond very slight slope).

Often used 4’ implements bring a good price as not many of us want them. Most subcompacts require them. You may well be able to sell it for close to what a used 5’ BB will cost.
Depending on condition, and I did not study your picture but it appears you have all the scarifiers and the blade is in good condition, a price in the 60-75% of new would be reasonable. This means you get your money back out of it (maybe a bit more) and the purchaser gets a decent price. Only issue is how close are subcompact owners to your area.

/ Box blade width? #9  
Would you think on the case of it not sitting flat on the ground that a hydraulic top link would be of any help with that?

Do not consider trying to adapt your Mahindra for an incorrect, too light implement.

Sell the light, narrow width box blade you have.

Find a heavy box blade the correct width for the way you intend to use the box blade.

/ Box blade width?
K thanks!
Do not consider trying to adapt your Mahindra for an incorrect, too light implement.

Sell the incorrect box blade you have.

Find a heavy box blade the correct width for the way you intend to use the box blade.