Box Blading in Reverse

/ Box Blading in Reverse #51  
This has been (and still is ) an interesting and informative thread . While I don't yet own a box blade ( seems like every time I have the bucks something of equal dollar value breaks ) I do own a rear blade . For me it's easier to blade down things in reverse . I can watch the blade (and as RAT explained it drive on fairly level ground )and where I'm going at the same time . But I also go as slow as possible so as not to bend or break anything . John

/ Box Blading in Reverse #52  
Well I must say...how do you guys box blade in reverse? My box blade only goes on one way... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think you can push dirt backwards with the back cutting edge, but honestly, I don't think going backwards and going frontwards produces the same effect at all...doesn't for me anyway...but I have never claimed to be real talented... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So I gotta ask, as a sort of continuation to this thread idea, do you really box blade in reverse? Or do you just push the dirt and maybe scrape the soil a little bit? That is what I seem to do...but I don't have a large tractor and I don't have a top-shelf box blade...so what do I know... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Box Blading in Reverse #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The pin does not get captured, the lower link does. There is no reason to trap the pin pushing or pulling. )</font>

There is no reason to trap the lower link unless there is a possibility that it might be forced off.

They haven't designed the box blade to be a dozer in reverse, they have tried to prevent those who use it that way from injuring themselves. The same reason that mowers have blade stops. They didn't design the mower for you to stick your foot under it. They just tried to prevent those that do stick their foot under it from being injured.

Yes, they know that people will misuse the equipment. That is why TSC and others have a large selection of replacement lower arms.

Again, equipment designed to hook up to the rear of a tractor on the 3-point system is designed to be pulled. Equipment designed to be hooked up to the front is designed to be pushed. Operators can and do sometimes pull equipment designed to be pushed and push equipment designed to be pulled. In fact, I do that sometimes. But my misuse of a piece of equipment does not constitute a redesign.

/ Box Blading in Reverse #54  
Ozarker, whatever you say. I'll just say I'm wrong and that we think on different levels.

Henro, I typically cut in reverse as well as make my very last finish grade on gravel roads. The reason is that I can get very fine leveling of the gravel without the bumps and dips influencing the tractors angle. In other words, the box tilted forward, going in reverse allows me the most precise leveling. In this instance, I am using the front blades backside. I get the most control because in addition to the boxscraper being the leader, it also levels the already fairly leveled gravel and the rest of the tractor can ride on a much smoother surface. It works well for me. I also have a great TnT setup that adds a great deal of utility add to that my 72" box which is about 1000lbs. It's a good match for my L3830 HST.

/ Box Blading in Reverse #55  
Henro:
With a larger tractor and some hydraulic controls a boxblade works very well in reverse. It allows the operator to work in very close quarters. He can get into areas not possible by going forwards.

Egon

/ Box Blading in Reverse #56  
Henro,

I have a cheap 60" TSC box blade. I've used it backwards now a lot more times than I thought I would. Mostly when I'm working on something I can't drive over, like pushing dirt onto a bank or something. I guess I could use the FEL, but I can see better with the back of the BB. Recently I used the FEL to drag some rocks out of the tree line into the open, then I used the BB in reverse to push them into a dirt bank I was building up. My BB doesn't really weigh enough to cut in much in reverse.

/ Box Blading in Reverse #57  
RaT,
Thanks, tension is the word I was looking for. I've amended my post to include it.

<font color="blue"> The loader is mostly in compression in forward use and some tension ... in reverse</font><font color="red"> but we don't just use it in reverse. </font>

The only time I use the loader in reverse is to backblade with the bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I get a nice smooth finish that way. I'm still quite an amatuer boxblade user, which may be one reason why.

Ozarker,
Despite my sometimes skeptical nature, I'm not disputing you.

<font color="blue"> They haven't designed the box blade to be a dozer in reverse, they have tried to prevent those who use it that way from injuring themselves....Yes, they know that people will misuse the equipment....Again, equipment designed to hook up to the rear of a tractor on the 3-point system is designed to be pulled. </font>

And, I don't mean to try your patience with my ignorance, but I just wonder how you know your statements are correct? Somehow, pinned vs. captured, tire tread, seat facing forward, etc. doesn't quite move my intuition off the fence like looking at two cutting edges facing opposite directions. Perhaps, the rear-most of the two blades is only there for feathering while driving forward. But, my intuition sees the two edges, and figures use is appropriate in both directions. By the way, intuition in this post = ignorance. So, please excuse me.

OkieG

/ Box Blading in Reverse #58  
Egon and To20Chris,

I know...and I think my point was in reverse there is no box...

I push with mine in the reverse direction too...but it just does not seem to compare to what happens when I use it in the forward direction.

Now I must admit I never reversed the scarifiers...but still even if i did, the box would not have a back to it...

So it still seems to me that while the box is a good pusher in reverse...and mabye a light duty scraper...in reverse it does not compare to what it can do in forward...

But like I said...more or less said...mine is a cheap KK that I think really does give a great bang for the buck... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Box Blading in Reverse #59  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Again, equipment designed to hook up to the rear of a tractor on the 3-point system is designed to be pulled. )</font>

Ozarker, you should probably not look at the attachment so you can continue your rigid, narrow view of tractor use. But, while you are only going forward, some of us are quite happy to use implements like the Bush Hog Roll Over boxblade. We can get work done in both directions and that equates to productivity in my book. I think Bush Hog agrees with me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 458938-RollOverBlade.jpg
    458938-RollOverBlade.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 132
   / Box Blading in Reverse #60  
<font color="blue">I push with mine in the reverse direction too...but it just does not seem to compare to what happens when I use it in the forward direction.</font>

Yea, me too. I think there is a threshold boxblade weight and tractor weight that allows good results in both directions. My equipment is below the threshold.

OkieG