Bread Stuffing

/ Bread Stuffing #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I finally got my wife to write down her recipe for bread stuffing. It has been a family favorite for many years. She uses it in turkeys, chickens, game hens and also baked with pork chops or chicken.

Ingredients:
12-14 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted and torn into bite size pieces
1 small onion, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 stick butter
1 chicken bouillion cube
1/3 cup water
1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed
thyme, sage, marjoram, basil and oregano

What to do:
Saute onion and celery in butter and oil.
Add bouillion cube, water, herbs and spinach.
After onion is transparent add bread pieces. Mix together well (let cool, put in a bowl, and use hands).

/ Bread Stuffing #2  
How does the spinach (which I love) effect a basic stuffing recipe?

Went to the Lady Friends Family X-MAS dinner for the first time in ten years. Everything was great except for pecans in the stuffing!:eek:

/ Bread Stuffing #3  
The dressing we use...it's an old recipe but basic

The amounts depend on how much stuffing/dressing you want to end up with...

Celery and onion...about 1/3 less onion than celery cooked down in large skillet with butter until nearly caramelized...

mix the above with enough torn up bread (slightly stale works best) add milk and a minimum of two raw eggs...season with salt pepper and "poultry seasoning"...to taste...bake until done...(I usually eat at leas one good bowl full before it gets cooked...)

note:
I would have to look at the label on the poultry seasoning to remember what all is in it but it gives the stuffing the unique taste that brings the flavors of the other ingredients together....

/ Bread Stuffing #4  
It is impossible to have enough stuffing!

That seasoning is precisely the ingediant the local Menonite Buffet can't use, and why I have no interest in their stuffing at all. Horrible, bland!

/ Bread Stuffing
The spinach makes it more interesting I would say. Can also swap in kale which is sharper in taste than spinach.

My wife uses pine nuts sometimes which are pretty mild. Never pecans.

The mix of herbs she uses is not much different from poultry seasoning. Sometimes she also uses rosemary and savory. Depending on what she has and feels like.

The bread stuffing I had growing up was bland. Need herbs and other stuff to make it work.

/ Bread Stuffing #6  
Never heard of putting spinach (or kale) in the stuffing, and never used sourdough bread, but otherwise that sounds about like my Mother's recipe. But now . . . as my wife and I get older, our recipe is
Kraft Stove Top stuffing.:laughing:

/ Bread Stuffing #7  
For the past 30 years we use white castle hamburgers (without pickle)crumbled up. Takes a dozen per ten pounds of bird.