bridge construction on a budget

/ bridge construction on a budget #1  

Rockbadchild

Veteran Member
Tractor
2076E Massey Ferguson
good morning TBN members,

Id like to share my bridge construction of last summer perhaps it will give ideas to folks with similar project in the future and getting constructive feed back … there is a small creek splitting my property preventing me to access the back end which constitute of 3/4 of it, the creek is at the bottom of a decent U shape gully, the creek is about 1ft to 2ft wide and it is over flowing in the spring and not flowing for most of the summer. With the high price of lumber last summer I was looking at other options, then I thought about a commercial transport trailer. I consider different type and length of trailer until I found this decommission B train transport trailer, it was perfect, full aluminum deck with a solid sub frame. I only had to cut everything underneath. next step was to rent/borrow a dump trailer (family price) and haul gravel for the banks from the pit right in front of my property (1/4 mile haul) I used 0-2'' material didn't cheep out on the gravel I took the material with the most compaction. I used railroads ties for the bank abutment, not the best but again I am on a budget here. Every second row the ties are installed longitudinally with the bridge so the frost doesn't push it over and I compacted every row and I uses 2 feet anchor bolts to hold the whole thing together then cover the ties with clay and cover it with rocks.

see pictures attach for the process sorry some pictures are side ways I tried to rotate them but couldn't figure it out.

cost of the project :
B train trailer: $700
Aggregates: $800
Backhoe rental: $900
dump trailer rental: $100
miscellaneous: $150

total cost = $2650

I don't think I could've done it any cheaper and durable, what do you think ?

Future issues, first I hope it the bank uphold erosion but I will keep a eye on it and I'll just keep adding rocks if I see things start to wash away. Second issue the trailer is only 100'' wide my tractor is 80'' wide so its pretty narrow plus once I get equipment like a bailer, the bridge won't be wide enough a bailer is like 105'' wide so next year I need to add something on the side to make it wider. I will use ether a wood beams or a re purpose steel beam and just secure it to the bridge, we will see.

Attachments

• 1.0.jpg
    1.0.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 577
  • 2.0.jpg
    2.0.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 532
  • 3.0.jpg
    3.0.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 481
  • 6.0.jpg
    6.0.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 5.0.jpg
    5.0.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 4.0.jpg
    4.0.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 504
  • 7.0.jpg
    7.0.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 508
  • 8.0.jpg
    8.0.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 9.0.jpg
    9.0.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
   / bridge construction on a budget #4  
Looks great! I've thought about doing something similar using a flat rack but an old trailer might be cheaper assuming you could get someone to deliver it.

/ bridge construction on a budget
Looks great! I've thought about doing something similar using a flat rack but an old trailer might be cheaper assuming you could get someone to deliver it.
thanks,

yes that can be a challenge, good thing we only had 30 minute to do on a HWY with no scale in between we roll it but it was definitely not legal, I got my father in law to haul it for me since he is a trucker. If he would've said no I would've haul it with my tractor. Making the hookup from the 3 point to the trailer would've been a challenge on its own so I am happy it all work out.

yes a flat rack would work as well. I though about buying a sea can and cutting the top but yes I would've double if not triple the cost.

rockmalenfant said:
<snip>yes a flat rack would work as well. I though about buying a sea can and cutting the top but yes I would've double if not triple the cost.
But then you would have had a covered bridge!
I would've cut the top and side off, I forgot to wright ''and side'' ...My first thought was to uses a standard haul truck refrigerated trailer but these as no frame, they are really weak and the wall and top help holding the whole thing together.

/ bridge construction on a budget #8  
rockmalenfant said:
<snip>yes a flat rack would work as well. I though about buying a sea can and cutting the top but yes I would've double if not triple the cost.

I would've cut the top and side off, I forgot to wright ''and side'' ...My first thought was to uses a standard haul truck refrigerated trailer but these as no frame, they are really weak and the wall and top help holding the whole thing together.
The sides are the vertical strength of a conex container. You made a better choice.

/ bridge construction on a budget #9  
I'm sure you guys have seen the retired flat rail cars to make a similar bridge. ...
I guess if you live next to a rail yard😄
Aren't they like 60-70' long and about 50k pounds?

I'm sure you guys have seen the retired flat rail cars to make a similar bridge. ...
I guess if you live next to a rail yard😄
Aren't they like 60-70' long and about 50k pounds?

You made the delivery harder to a whole new level lol ... but yes that make a solid bridge still some with restriction tho.

1642005522046.png