bridge construction on a budget

/ bridge construction on a budget
I had the same issue (bridging the creek out back) but approached it differently and for less money. I purchased a heavy wall pre cast concrete culvert 6 foot in diameter and had it delivered to the site (1200 bucks). Set the culvert mid stream and backfilled around it until even with grade with number 5 gravel (3 tri axle dump loads for 700 bucks delivered). Start to finish, 2 days.
good idea that will be bullet proof ... I would've need a lot of gravel my span was 30' and the price of gravel in our region is ridiculous, my 0-2 inch was 18$/Ton loaded and hauled myself ... how did you place your piece of culvert in place ?

/ bridge construction on a budget #22  
I didn't even have to 'horse' the culvert into place in the creek bed, the straight truck they delivered it on had a knuckle boom on board unloading crane and they sat it smack dab in the middle of the creek bed for me no charge. Pre cast comes in different wall thicknesses. I bought the thickest wall they had in stock pus the county was all good with it as they came out and inspected it.

I do like your repurposed trailer bed idea however. My concern would be how slippery it would be when wet or had ice on it. Aluminum decks are inherently slippery when wet and I'd be worried about the under frame being cracked as well. I spent a lot of my working years repairing cracked frames on aluminum trailers. Seems as though they a crack over time.

/ bridge construction on a budget #23  
good idea that will be bullet proof ... I would've need a lot of gravel my span was 30' and the price of gravel in our region is ridiculous, my 0-2 inch was 18$/Ton loaded and hauled myself ... how did you place your piece of culvert in place ?
See my comment #22. Our delivered stone is a heck of a lot cheaper here but then there are stone quarries all around us. I bought the pre cast 12 foot wide. I could have purchased either 8 or 10 or 12 foot. Went with the 12 footer so I'd have plenty of culvert out past the gravel fill. My buddy has a tri axle dump and he hauled it for cheap, lucked out in that respect. Had him do my house drive at the same time. I did buy a 'second' culvert that had a chunk missing out of the mating bell. Had them put that on the bottom, in the creek bed.

Did it a year ago. It settled a little bit, maybe 4" and that was that. 6 foot diameter can handle any water the creek makes, anytime.

I didn't even have to 'horse' the culvert into place in the creek bed, the straight truck they delivered it on had a knuckle boom on board unloading crane and they sat it smack dab in the middle of the creek bed for me no charge. Pre cast comes in different wall thicknesses. I bought the thickest wall they had in stock pus the county was all good with it as they came out and inspected it.

I do like your repurposed trailer bed idea however. My concern would be how slippery it would be when wet or had ice on it. Aluminum decks are inherently slippery when wet and I'd be worried about the under frame being cracked as well. I spent a lot of my working years repairing cracked frames on aluminum trailers. Seems as though they a crack over time.
ha I see nice ... I really scored on this trailer since the cross members was completely refurbish two years before it was take off the road so it is in good shape and no cracks as far as I can tell and I did look pretty good ... it was taken off the road because of the rust on the axels and lifting legs up front. The brakes and wiring needed to be done as well so they just retired it. I haven't had issue being slippery yet, there is a piece of 2x6 imbedded in the deck probably for traction I am now realizing but I do take my time crossing on it since its not very wide, its also well level but thanks for the heads up I will keep that in mind.

Last edited:
well i am happy i got that many rocks and glad it is has high as it is … all the snow melted in 5 days it dissolved crazy fast this year.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2277.jpeg
    IMG_2277.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2276.jpeg
    IMG_2276.jpeg