Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #31  
Broke a new strap wrench, a different on slipped. Finally went and got a pair of Channellock filter pliers and that was that.
View attachment 739146
I discovered those were the only thing that could reach in past the rats-nest of loader hoses to loosen the fuel filter bowl ring on my Yanmar.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #32  
Oil filter? None at all on the '55 Chev 265ci, the first SBC. An external one like in the Ford photo was optional.

The external ones were an awful mess to take out the element, wipe remaining oil out of the cannister, dispose of the filter element. Dad's '49 Chev aftermarket filter used a roll of toilet paper as its element. Messy!

Cars were simpler then.

I don't know about the original SBC but a lot of "filterless" engines actually had centrifugal "filters". On Triumph twin motorcycles it was in the crankshaft. Gunk would be centrifugaly separated out and end up in a sludge trap. You needed to tear the engine down every 10k miles to clean out that sludge trap. If it filled up, the engine would starve of oil.

Some modern cars have oil filter elements instead of metal shell cannister filters like on our tractors. One of our VWs has that, but it's right on top of the engine where it's super easy to get to. It's a little messier than a cannister but it's not bad, and you don't need to cut the can apart to inspect the filter for debris.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #33  
My idiot ex wife wanted a Saab. She thought they looked cool. It drove all right, could go like a bat out of hell.
I had to do the water pump.
To access the water pump, required I drop the tranny and lift the engine. Yah, for the water pump.
It would only accept one model of Continental tires ( the most expensive model).

I got rid of that car with the witch.
...and the little dog too? :ROFLMAO:

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #34  
My theory is they all employ a team of gorillas to put the filters on at the factory.
I used a pair of channel lock filter pliers on mine, looked like it had been in war after it came off!
I changed the oil on my first car way back when, and made sure to put the new filter back on, nice and clean and dry. Next time, I had to rip it off pc by pc, and finally chisel the base plate of the filter loose. It wasn't on tight, but was just dry and wouldn't turn. Rub some oil on the gasket and 100% success from that point on. Some lessons really are learned the hard way. Why on earth do they continue marching forward with a known problem.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #35  
Some modern cars have oil filter elements instead of metal shell cannister filters like on our tractors. One of our VWs has that, but it's right on top of the engine where it's super easy to get to. It's a little messier than a cannister but it's not bad, and you don't need to cut the can apart to inspect the filter for debris.
My KIA Serento has a top filter element like that.
Good idea.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #36  
Another problem is that manufacturers don't put oil or lube on the filter gasket during assembly. First filter change is always the worst.
I’m assuming you know that for a fact because you work on the assembly floor? I have worked at a major engine manufacturing and they do put oil on filter and use a torque wrench set at so many in/lbs. and you had better follow procedures.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #37  
I’m assuming you know that for a fact because you work on the assembly floor? I have worked at a major engine manufacturing and they do put oil on filter and use a torque wrench set at so many in/lbs. and you had better follow procedures.
Thanks, I corrected the post. Always good to have fact checkers. ;)

edit:
"Another problem is that *some* manufacturers don't put oil or lube on the filter gasket during assembly. First filter change is always the worst."

I've taken off enough oem installed filters to know that they (the ones that I personally changed) had not been lubed. No doubt there are some that do. I just haven't been fortunate to have come across them.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #39  
I have changed the oil for the first time on 4 Chrysler or Dodges with the 5.7 Hemi. They were all a *****. On our latest, a 2019, I thought it was going to be the same way but it spun right off. I wonder if like LHF2019 said, they started using some procedures to allow them to come off easier.