Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #41  
Trying to get the Hydro oil filter off.
I am hoping to avoid pounding a hole through the thing because it'll be messy.
I've crushed the can with one tool A band wrench just slips. A chain wrench slips. Can't get my big pipe wrench on it; no room to maneuver.
Cut the paint. Use these. Be careful.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #42  
I've crushed the can with one tool A band wrench just slips. A chain wrench slips. Can't get my big pipe wrench on it; no room to maneuver.
Use a razor blade and cut around base of filter where it meets the block.
Filter got sealed with paint at factory.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #43  
Try putting a strip of very coarse sandpaper under the chain.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #44  
My first fluid change on my DK4510 was similar. Broke a new strap wrench, a different on slipped. Finally went and got a pair of Channellock filter pliers and that was that.
View attachment 739146
A plain old (large) Channellock will work if you have room to get to it. I use them all the time.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #45  
The hydraulic filters on my Kubota RTV were stuck on so bad that even after driving a screwdriver through it, the filter case was ripping. After 1/4 turn, I had to drive the screwdriver through again and go another 1/4 turn before I could finally turn it by hand. Couldn't fit my 3 jaw tool in, but it probably would have slipped anyway. Only one was that tight and the other came off fairly easily.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #46  
I bought one of these for my tractor and any other engine with a large filter.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #47  
Once I used a small cold chisel to dig into the base of the filter as I hit it with a hammer. You have to be very careful with the chisel alignment so that it does not dig into machined base that the filter goes against.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #48  
Here is what you need; I have been there. This wrench will put pressure on the entire filter. After it tightens it will not slip because it grips the entire filter. Since it a coil you can take your had and compress the tool to get it on the filter.

I have never crushed a filter with this tool. In fact I used this tool to take a filter off that started to shred apart.

1648479635425.png

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #49  
Here is what you need; I have been there. This wrench will put pressure on the entire filter. After it tightens it will not slip because it grips the entire filter. Since it a coil you can take your had and compress the tool to get it on the filter.

I have never crushed a filter with this tool. In fact I used this tool to take a filter off that started to shred apart.

View attachment 739399
I may have to make myself one of those. That's ingenious!

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #50  
I must have 10 different filter removal tools, and no single one works great for every filter. A lot of the issue is access. If you cant get the wrench on and actually turn it, it won't do much good. Some filters are out in the open easy to put anything on. Others, especially hydraulic filters, tend to be tucked in and impossible to get anything on them in a decent manner. Then you have to resort to the punch and hammer technique. Sometimes I have a wrench that probably would work great if it was the right size, but isn't.

I have a 12 valve Dodge Cummins diesel that I have changed oil filter on more than dozens of times. I lube the gasket and only put it on hand tight. For some reason it always tightens itself and can be a bear to get off.