Broken axle

/ Broken axle #1  

Jim Nelson

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800&B7510
I just turned over 1000 hrs on my B7800 so I serviced it all up and put a new pair of front tires on it and took it for a spin to make sure everything was ok. I had the mower on it so I went chasing mustard weeds and at the bottom of a slope I turned right and heard a terrible crunching/grinding noise as the front end dropped.I looked and saw the left front tire and wheel flat on the ground under the place where it was attached moments earlier. On inspection I found the flange the wheel bolts to had broken off the axle and on closer inspection found that only about half of it had ever been welded together. I have no idea how it lasted 8 years and 1000 hrs after some of the stuff I've put it through. At first I thought I must have messed up somewhere but I torqued the wheels to spec and everything else I did was fine so I just can't take credit for this one. DSCN1602.jpgDSCN1599.jpgDSCN1596.jpg

/ Broken axle #3  
Was it welded together when manufactured, or are we really looking at a machined part that cracked and then later completely failed? From the rusty part vs the clean break, it looks like you had a hidden crack for some time. The good news being that you were not in some sort of a precarious position with the loader in the air and turning or something like that when it failed. With a new part, that will be a quick fix. Tractor will be fine, you are fine, etc. Check the other side....

/ Broken axle #4  
I'm not sure, but that should a solid casting, not two pieces of metal welded together. Looks to me like it had a fault from the get-go.
Either way, I would take it to the dealer whenever you order the new one. I'd want the factory rep to see that one.

/ Broken axle
I'm not positive but I think they are two different metals and the part of the flange that was never attached looks to be molded with a kind of cup shape and the clean part of the axle looks molded too.It's a real puzzle to me. I would prefer to order from Messicks as the local parts guy is a jerk but I might make an exception this time. I have another day to think about it with the holiday tomorrow.

/ Broken axle #6  
I've seen a few of these here on TBN over the years (and I think all 7800s). I'd ask your Kubota dealer for help on this one. I do believe Kubota knows they had a bad batch of these years ago.

/ Broken axle #7  
P S Try a search here and if you find more print them out and bring them in to the dealer when you plead your case.

/ Broken axle
I'm thinking I'll call Messicks Tue. morning and ask them about it.My local dealers parts guy is really a jerk and I'd prefer to just stay away from him.

/ Broken axle
I've been doing some research today and found several other instances of this axle breaking and they all look like mine so I am sure this is a manufacturing flaw,just too many to be operator abuse or accident.I spent 35 years operating heavy equipment so I know the difference between use and abuse.This issue reminds me a lot of the" silent recall " Kubota did with their poorly designed seats except this has the potential to be a serious safety issue. I have no expectation of them stepping up on this and will just bite the bullet.