Brush Cutter Project

/ Brush Cutter Project
A little more work today before we head into the woods tomorrow with it. full report when i return monday.

bc.jpg
[/IMG]

bc2-1.jpg
[/IMG]

bc3.jpg
[/IMG]

bc4.jpg

/ Brush Cutter Project #12  
Renze, there is at least one U.S. company who does not use this style of gearbox on some of their heavy cutters for tractors. They use an inline gear box with hyd motor bolted directly on top of it and the stump jumper on the bottom of it.

Here is a link to one set of parts. In a very quick look don't think this model uses a gear box at all nor stump jumper.

http://www.hardeebyevh.com/images/shopcart/items/18.pdf

/ Brush Cutter Project #13  
I always wonder how much abuse a hydraulic motor can take... The PT line is hydraulic, and the hydraulic implements I have seen are about 50 50 on who uses direct drive and who uses some sort of gear or belt inbetween. Any ideas why?

/ Brush Cutter Project #14  
I always wonder how much abuse a hydraulic motor can take... The PT line is hydraulic, and the hydraulic implements I have seen are about 50 50 on who uses direct drive and who uses some sort of gear or belt in between. Any ideas why?

Carl,

There is more risk using direct drive. Belt drive like on my hyd flail will take some of the abuse before damaging the hyd motor, although my hyd tiller is direct driven, go figure. I plan to couple a hydraulic motor with the gear box on my bush hog. I see hyd stump grinders driven directly, and others belt driven.

/ Brush Cutter Project #15  
shaun2733,

Very nice work. Did you do the welding? Somebody sure has the skill. Must be fairly young guy, bead is very straight, almost looks like a machine weld.

/ Brush Cutter Project #16  
Shaun, nice job. I see you picked an Eaton Char-Lynn. Good choice. Probably pricey but tough. They're made a few miles down the road from us. My Wife works for them & I used to for about 12 years. I'm looking forward to the test run and pics.

Jay

/ Brush Cutter Project #17  
Wow Shaun that is AMAZING!!!!!:D

/ Brush Cutter Project
Well it goes without fail that when we get out in the woods something is bound to break! Well I can say it sure wasnt the cutter, it was my phone and i couldnt shoot any pictures(sigh).
This this is a monster I made a modification in the woods by cutting a large V in the middle of the front deck so I can roll up to the tree and bam its cut rather than pushing it over and cutting it, Good thing I took the service truck!
I will get you some pictures in a few weeks when I head back to the farm. I cut all day long without a problem, JJ as for the welding one of my employees who by the way is just shy of 60 did the welding, think you made his day!
I looked at the direct drive option before I started this project and thought the gearbox can take much more abuse just an option though.

Sorry there are no pictures but when they are up you will see my new quail field. Thanks Guys for the kind words on this project, we had fun making the cutter....now what are we going to make? :)

/ Brush Cutter Project #19  
shaun2733.

Now that your mower is a used mower, you could make and sell used mowers every day, as is. If you could sell your mower today, what would be a good price. I only have 18 GPM on my Case skidsteer, but perhaps it would work with a smaller motor.

Did you install a double relief valve across the hyd motor, or just rely on the motor circuit on the skidsteer.

I was going to ask you about the notch window on the frame base, before you even posted. I had seen something similar on a tree cutting bush hog. The follow on question to that is, would it be worth while to put a carbide tip on the outer most edge of the blade, otherwise, you would be swinging a double carbide tooth blade just for cutting trees. Seems like it would be advantageous.

/ Brush Cutter Project
shaun2733.

Now that your mower is a used mower, you could make and sell used mowers every day, as is. If you could sell your mower today, what would be a good price. I only have 18 GPM on my Case skidsteer, but perhaps it would work with a smaller motor.

Did you install a double relief valve across the hyd motor, or just rely on the motor circuit on the skidsteer.

I was going to ask you about the notch window on the frame base, before you even posted. I had seen something similar on a tree cutting bush hog. The follow on question to that is, would it be worth while to put a carbide tip on the outer most edge of the blade, otherwise, you would be swinging a double carbide tooth blade just for cutting trees. Seems like it would be advantageous.

JJ I think you and I have the same Case mine is 1845c, the circut is plenty to do the job, as for a cushion valve I tried to use the loaders and can tell you that is not the correct way to do it we are installing a cushion now. The "V" made life easy the tree just laid right over pretty as a picture. Here is what I have in mine, keep in mind I am a steel fabricator so the cost of steel wasnt a factor, these are rough numbers as I dont have the cost sheet in front of me.
1/4" deck 200
Misc. Plate 200
Hyd motor 400
Gear box 250
stump jumper 100
blades 30
misc bolts 50
total 1250.00 without labor
making something that will last priceless!