Bucket hook pics

/ Bucket hook pics #21  
ne5b:

Just a suggestion on you hooks that I took from others on this forum. If you mount two on the top of your bucket slant them inwards at a 15 degree angle. That way the chain isn't putting a torsional strain on the hooks. I did this with mine and have been really pleased with the results and glad I listened to the suggestion.
I also welded a piece of 5X2 inch 3/8 thick channel across the top of my bucket. Then I mounted the hooks on this. The district sales rep for Montana tractors suggested it and again it was a great suggestion. I've picked up very heavy and unwieldy objects with this configuration without worry about my bucket top getting bent. The channel plus the bucket top forms a box beam which is a very strong structure. I also painted the inside with primer before I welded the channel on.

Good luck with your hooks.

/ Bucket hook pics #22  
Stampeder,

That Channel stock sounds like a really good idea. Mounting the Hooks at an angle sounds good too.

Looks like I need to do just a little more shopping/Gathering before I'm ready :) .

Thanks for the info,
Ben

/ Bucket hook pics #23  
Just mounted mine. Was going to buy a hook from Tractor Supply or Horrible Freight but the pintle hook works very well.

Attachments

• hook.JPG
    hook.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 511
   / Bucket hook pics #25  
Well all my trailers are pintle hitch so I figured I might as well use what I already have on hand.:D

/ Bucket hook pics #26  
Not to knock a vendor but the hooks from a chain supply place posted as a source in another thread (?) are not rated for as high a capacity as those from the upper two sources posted by "cbcr" in this thread. The difference for 3/8 pelican hooks is 2900# vs 5400# - not an insignificant amount.

might as well use the strongest hooks possible in a given size.

/ Bucket hook pics #27  
I just took my 2520 to our local machine shop to get bucket hooks installed. He's welding a piece of 1x3 (roughely) rectangular tubing all the way across the top of the bucket for strength. He said that with the tubing, you actually need to crush it down, so its like 10 times stronger than any flat metal is.
Hes welding a hook on each end, and also one in the middle.
I've gotta go pick it up now, so I can paint it up and make it look pretty! :D