Front-End Loader BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT
Last edited:
   / BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #32  
Good thread, thanks. I am going to be trying out the Titan on my MF GC1715 as opposed to spending big $$ on a Backhoe; which I can get but would void my warranty since it did not come with the tractor. Just trying to dig some smallish drainage trenches and save my back.

Semper Fi

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #33  
The Titan arrived and it is a hunk of steel!!! I cannot wait to try it!!

Semper Fi

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #34  
All these bucket spades look nice. Will any of them fit over a piranha bar?

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #36  

Yes it is. Also would like to hear how Usmc68 likes it, I could see using it for planting small lilac bushes and small evergreens and more on my property.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #37  
I'm still looking for something to attach to a backhoe bucket with digger teeth to yield a rounded edge for scraping ditches.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #38  
I bought a bucket spade last year, to help digging out 5 old fruit trees that stopped producing I don’t have a backhoe, and I didn’t want to put my fel through the stress. . I was dubious at first, but it worked really well, other tan coming a bit loose a couple of times.

The price was right, and it did the job, glad I have it.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #39  
I am a fan of Bucket Solutions' clamp-on Bucket Spade.

Hi Jeff, I really like the idea of the bucket spade, I have small trees to plant and/or transplant, don't plan on a backhoe.
My dealer says these spades are a bad idea here in New England because of all the rocks. Just curious if you or anybody else can shed light on that, though I guess you're in Florida so perhaps not.
This is partly a "which bucket should I get" question along with "should I get the spade" and "is pallet fork better for spade mount".

I'm trying to figure out my bucket and pallet fork options on what I expect to be a MX5400 purchase.

My primary (demanding) task for the bucket is moving gravel. It may also be called upon to move snow and mulch (I suppose the light materials bucket is bigger for mulch, does it work for gravel? )

I'm guessing the L2296 is best for that spade, looks like a $300 or so upgrade from the L2235A, $400 from the L2236 light material bucket, based on the Kubota "build your own" estimate.
What about pallet forks, I have an HLA HD4248 pallet fork frame in the quote, which seems to be the go-to thing for Kubota dealer quotes. Would the pallet forks be a safer way to use the spade than potentially bending a bucket when I hit rocks?

The types of rocks in new england soil are two. First, the loose rocks, which might range in size from an egg to a bolder, sometimes you never know what you'll hit (I had one removed from my road last year that required heavy machinery, had no clue that the tip sticking up through the soil was really one of the great pyramids underneath). The second rock problem is where the bedrocks is hiding under minimum soil. So there's no moving that.

So what I envision happening is I go out to dig a new hole for a tiny tree in my field, and there's a 50/50 chance I'm going to hit either those variable size rocks (which _suck_ when you're digging with shovel and pick), or bedrock such that I'm going to have to try digging elsewhere.

Can the spade force out those smaller loose rocks without breaking my bucket/forks? Is it possible to do a reasonable shovel probe and and back off if I hit rocks too tough to dig through, without breaking my attachments?

Any New Englanders out there with experience with these rocks and shovel spade attachments?

Oh yeah, incidentally, and probably not for the spade, I'd like to use my bucket or _some_ attachment to help keep my bedrock lined driveway drainage trenches clear of debris, advice on that welcome too. The bucket is probably too rigid to do much there. Maybe some front-mounted loader attached rake?

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT
Bullwinkle

I like the idea of the bucket spade. I have small trees to plant and/or transplant, don't plan on a backhoe.
My dealer says these spades are a bad idea here in New England because of all the rocks. Just curious if you or anybody else can shed light on that.

Some bucket spades are pressed steel, which are not nearly as robust as bucket spade forged from a billet.

My primary (demanding) task for the bucket is moving gravel. It may also be called upon to move snow and mulch (I suppose the light materials bucket is bigger for mulch, does it work for gravel? )

Unless you have huge amounts of mulch to move on an ongoing basis , L2296 will be ample. L2296 capacity is 1/3 cubic yard = 9 cubic feet. A bag of mulch from Walmart is 2 cubic feet. Light materials bucket not recommended for gravel, the leading edge will abrade. I do considerable work with lime-rock as road material, pretty similar to gravel.

I'm guessing the L2296 is best for that spade, looks like a $300 or so upgrade from the L2235A, $400 from the L2236 light material bucket, based on the Kubota "build your own" estimate.

I have the L2296 HD, RB bucket on my L3560, which also has the optional on L3560 L805 Loader. L2296 is a rock-solid mount for a bucket spade. The forged bucket spade from Bucket Solutions is the one for you. I have been digging with mine for seven years, including excavating weed saplings yesterday, and it still looks like new, as does the L2296 HD, RB bucket except for paint sun fade and dirt/lime rock scrubbing of paint.

What about pallet forks, I have an HLA HD4248 pallet fork frame in the quote, which seems to be the go-to thing for Kubota dealer quotes. Would the pallet forks be a safer way to use the spade than potentially bending a bucket when I hit rocks?

Potential pallet fork mounts are primarily for skid steers. I have SSQA pallet forks but have never mounted the bucket spade to pallet forks. I can dig to over 48" deep with the bucket spade mounted on the bucket, which is all I need.

So what I envision happening is I go out to dig a new hole for a tiny tree in my field, and there's a 50/50 chance I'm going to hit either those variable size rocks (which _suck_ when you're digging with shovel and pick), or bedrock such that I'm going to have to try digging elsewhere.

Is it possible to do a reasonable shovel probe and and back off if I hit rocks too tough to dig through, without breaking my attachments?

YES With experience you develop a lot of "feel" through the bucket hydraulic joystick control. The 100 pound bucket spade is a much more powerful tool than a two pound manual spade.

Incidentally, I'd like to use my bucket or _some_ attachment to help keep my bedrock lined driveway drainage trenches clear of debris, advice on that welcome too. The bucket is probably too rigid to do much there. Maybe some front-mounted loader attached rake?

YES I suggest a Ratchet Rake. If you buy L2296 bucket you may wish chain "Forestry Binders" rather than straps for attachment. PHOTOS

Ratchet Rake, LLC - All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attachment, New Holland, Bobcat, Fire safety, Home fire safety, Fire prevention, John Deere, skid steer attachment, tractor implement

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 127
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
Last edited: