Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona #991  
I saw a pair of Wood Ducks fly through the woods yesterday, and that made me think of this thread. How's Lake Corona looking with more warm and rainy weather?

/ Building Lake Corona
I saw a pair of Wood Ducks fly through the woods yesterday, and that made me think of this thread. How's Lake Corona looking with more warm and rainy weather?
Not much different at the moment other than a little green. Have some type of algae growing it looks like. Not real concerned due to how little water there is in it. A good rain will clear things up. The snow is gone but have not had any rain and little in the forecast at the moment. What water it has is holding though.

2021-03-01_06-52-34

/ Building Lake Corona #993  
Yeah, our first chance of rain is next Wednesday/Thursday. I started grading roads today. A bit muddy on the shoulders but drying out fast. Ice is about half gone on my two ponds.

/ Building Lake Corona #996  
I grew up on 10 acre remnant of what was a much larger farm. It was in a valley with a typical stream running through. My dad and a couple guys with some really old dozers dug a 2 acre lake. ( local lore was anything under an acre was a pond, over an acre was a lake)
I remember it seemed like for weeks they ran the dozers around the inside on the angled ponds banks like an Indy 500 race track, but at 2MPH instead of 200.
They spent a lot of time smoothing and compacting those walls. We diverted the stream around the back of it. Deep end was 14’ with a dock and a trickle tube, shallow was about 4’. We had catfish, bass and bluegill. Couple duck boats my dad, me and my brother built together and a canoe.
Lots of Tarzan rope and swimming in summer and ice hockey or skating in winter. Good, healthy outdoor fun. Sot my first deer with a bow (Fred Bear Whitetail) there at 15 years old and many more. Also took many nice buck & doe with my H&R single shot shotgun.
That lake was the center of our view out our back windows and deck for 15-20 years of my life.
After Dad retired, he started planting lilys and even built a putting green. He was a scratch golfer and a duck/goose hunter. We all loved that place.
Good times from a bye-gone era.

/ Building Lake Corona #997  
Great story Hay Dude

/ Building Lake Corona #998  
I grew up on 10 acre remnant of what was a much larger farm. It was in a valley with a typical stream running through. My dad and a couple guys with some really old dozers dug a 2 acre lake. ( local lore was anything under an acre was a pond, over an acre was a lake)
I remember it seemed like for weeks they ran the dozers around the inside on the angled ponds banks like an Indy 500 race track, but at 2MPH instead of 200.
They spent a lot of time smoothing and compacting those walls. We diverted the stream around the back of it. Deep end was 14’ with a dock and a trickle tube, shallow was about 4’. We had catfish, bass and bluegill. Couple duck boats my dad, me and my brother built together and a canoe.
Lots of Tarzan rope and swimming in summer and ice hockey or skating in winter. Good, healthy outdoor fun. Sot my first deer with a bow (Fred Bear Whitetail) there at 15 years old and many more. Also took many nice buck & doe with my H&R single shot shotgun.
That lake was the center of our view out our back windows and deck for 15-20 years of my life.
After Dad retired, he started planting lilys and even built a putting green. He was a scratch golfer and a duck/goose hunter. We all loved that place.
Good times from a bye-gone era.
My kinda people!!!

/ Building Lake Corona #999  
Damn near cried after I read what I wrote.
Family memories of when I was a kid. Something about a lake and a farm that just makes it a home.

/ Building Lake Corona #1,000  
Damn near cried after I read what I wrote.
Family memories of when I was a kid. Something about a lake and a farm that just makes it a home.

One of the first things dad built on his farm in the late 1940s was a pond.
19771100_OH_Farm_Pond_IMG_0017_edited-1.jpeg