Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona #21  
I think this would vary depending on location and soil type. Here, I would have to "core" the dam. Basically dig a trench across the base of the dam and then fill it as I build. That creates a "notch" that reduces the chances of leak.

My point exactly!
Most all dams should be cored, even if coring may not seem to be needed.
Awful job to dig it all up, and start over.

/ Building Lake Corona #22  
Good to see you back jk ! A keyway is essential and properly done . Need to compact with a sheepfoot in 1 ft lifts . You can rent small vibratory units that are remote controlled . Sounds like a plan , may have plenty of time to work on it ! Kevin .

/ Building Lake Corona #23  
My point exactly!
Most all dams should be cored, even if coring may not seem to be needed.
Awful job to dig it all up, and start over.

Seeping ponds/lakes aggravate me.....

/ Building Lake Corona
Well this project could go nowhere fast. Not sure yet. Jumped on the loader again today. Started to excavate for the core to see what I get into before spending a lot of time clearing and the bottom of the ravine has lots of rock. Most bowling ball size to 2 ft wide. Not sure how deep it goes but going to take an excavator for this part for sure and hope it doesnt run too deep. If I can't get through it the dam will never hold.

2020-03-24_11-51-02

/ Building Lake Corona #25  
Can't tell for sure, is it a limestone ledge?

I have one in my timber that is 30 inches thick.

/ Building Lake Corona
Yep. Yellow rock. Looks like limestone. 1st couple feet is all loose stone but dont know how deep it runs. Did find this today. Kind of funny as I needed on just like this to balance out the other rock on our wedding venues outdoor patio. Landscaper only had one last and never brought the second.

2020-03-24_05-48-39

/ Building Lake Corona #27  
The top portion will be loose because of freezing/thawing. The deeper you go the more stable the ledge will be. Hopefully yours is shallow and you can get thru it with your CTL.

/ Building Lake Corona #28  
Good to see you back jk ! A keyway is essential and properly done . Need to compact with a sheepfoot in 1 ft lifts . You can rent small vibratory units that are remote controlled . Sounds like a plan , may have plenty of time to work on it ! Kevin .
I packed my dam in with the loader bucket full and running the front tires over the whole dam. I did it in 6 inch layers. The fill dirt slopes on boths were packed in this way also.
hugs, Brandi

/ Building Lake Corona #29  
I packed my dam in with the loader bucket full and running the front tires over the whole dam. I did it in 6 inch layers. The fill dirt slopes on boths were packed in this way also.
hugs, Brandi

I did the same thing. Funny thing is that my dam doesn't leak and my only loss is due to evaporation, but when I raised my water line by pouring a concrete dame across my spillway, I had concrete trucks drive across it twice, and their weight really showed me how much more compaction I could have gotten if I had more weight then just the one yard bucket full of dirt on my backhoe. Those tire tracks are 2 to 4 inches deep!!!

/ Building Lake Corona #30  
Yep Eddie, compaction if often under estimated. But we use what we have. :)