Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona
Well today was interesting to say the least. Apparently yesterday while building a road down the center of the ravine to get to the area where I planned to place the dam I hit water and didn't realize it. What was solid yesterday was not solid today. Drove back in today and the bottom went out. Ended up burried to the top of my tracks. Took 50 ft of chains and a couple of hours using my bucket to curl and pull myself out. There is now a steady trickle of water flowing. Now that I'm out my tracks wont spin more than a foot front or back. Not sure if the mud is full of rocks and binding or if they are off. Looking at them my guess is rocks in the mud but back at it again tomorrow to start clearing mud and finish the recovery. Fun times.

2020-03-25_07-08-56

2020-03-25_07-09-29

2020-03-25_07-09-38

/ Building Lake Corona #32  
Time to bring in an excavator?

/ Building Lake Corona #33  
Before I retired as a land surveyor the company I worked for did material testing. I did a lot of compaction testing. Less experienced people would say they “packed the dirt in with their track hoe”. It really takes a sheep’s foot roller to get compaction. Of course building a small pond is less critical and like someone else said, you work with what you have.

Sucks getting stuck. I’m curious how the chains got you unstuck.

I’d say the problem with the rock is if you don’t get a core trench built, the water might find seams and leak. I’d probably just build it the best you can and hope it doesn’t leak to bad.

/ Building Lake Corona
Time to bring in an excavator?

Yep. An excavator is going to be needed for the core trench for sure. Rain moving in tonight for a few days so back on hold for a awhile.

/ Building Lake Corona
I'm curious how the chains got you unstuck.
I

Had to go forward using chains. No way to back out. Used a chain from a tree back to the ctl and under then around the bucket back to the bucket edge. Roll the bucket down to drag the ctl forward about 18" then repeat. Slow and tiring but the only way to get out from where I was.

/ Building Lake Corona #36  
A spring above the pond is a good thing. A spring in the pond means that water can enter the pond through it, but also leave the pond through it. The other thing is that a spring will have a certain water table height, and when you have a lot of rain, the water table is high, and in summer, it drops, so a pond dependent on a spring inside the pond will do the same. It really depends on how high your water table is.

Rock must be covered with 2 feet of compacted clay, otherwise, it is a path for water to travel.

The core trench may help in keeping water from finding a seam under a dam, but more importantly, it locks the dam in position so it does not slide when the pond is full. This becomes more critical with a bigger dam, and a steeper dam.

/ Building Lake Corona #37  
Bummer. Sorry you had the mud problem..... A bellied out track machine is almost totally helpless.....

One of my ponds has a spring feeding it. Pond level varies depending on season and weather. Much more than the one without a spring. It was built in the 30s. I'm sure they located it to take advantage of the spring.

/ Building Lake Corona
Bummer. Sorry you had the mud problem..... A bellied out track machine is almost totally helpless.....

One of my ponds has a spring feeding it. Pond level varies depending on season and weather. Much more than the one without a spring. It was built in the 30s. I'm sure they located it to take advantage of the spring.

Loader is free and back to the house. One track was off. Luckily I was able to get the 4wheeler and winch to it to get it pulled back on. Hardest part was getting a 10,000 lb machine in the air in soft ground and mud. Time to watch it rain and reassess my plan of attack.

/ Building Lake Corona #39  
I've done several dirt projects. But I've never built a pond. My only concern is the weather during that first couple days of work.....

/ Building Lake Corona
Went back out for an hour and finished up where I got stuck yesterday. Was a little more carefull this time. I now have easy access to get a small excavator in for digging the core.

2020-03-26_04-38-14