Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona #11  
   / Building Lake Corona #12  
Light rain set in early this morning. Only 1/10" but enough to keep me back inside today. I did take the time to walk the site a bit now that some clearing has been done. There is actually potential for a very nice U shaped pond here. Probably going to bring the dam up higher than planned after looking at it. Will probably shoot a waterline and flag the area next and go back to clearing some more timber once I determine the waterline.

2020-03-22_10-00-29

Do/will you have a solid clay bottom (no voids) to prevent leakage?
How do you plan to prevent dam leakage also?

/ Building Lake Corona #13  
Someone over in the Forestry Forum built a pond, and for a while he was posting pictures of the same shot; on or near the first day of each of the 4 seasons. I haven't been there in years so don't know if he's still following through, but it was an interesting photo sequence.

/ Building Lake Corona #14  
Do/will you have a solid clay bottom (no voids) to prevent leakage?
How do you plan to prevent dam leakage also?

I think this would vary depending on location and soil type. Here, I would have to "core" the dam. Basically dig a trench across the base of the dam and then fill it as I build. That creates a "notch" that reduces the chances of leak.

/ Building Lake Corona
I think this would vary depending on location and soil type. Here, I would have to "core" the dam. Basically dig a trench across the base of the dam and then fill it as I build. That creates a "notch" that reduces the chances of leak.

Once past the topsoil there is a good amount of clay but I'm thinking the dam should be cored. Going to be tricky to do the the ctl. Pretty steep slopes into the bottom of the ravine where the dam will go. An excavator would be much better suited for this.

/ Building Lake Corona #16  
Once past the topsoil there is a good amount of clay but I'm thinking the dam should be cored. Going to be tricky to do the the ctl. Pretty steep slopes into the bottom of the ravine where the dam will go. An excavator would be much better suited for this.
My small pond's dam has a 2x2 foot core trench. My large pond had a 2x2 core trench, but the new dam section was dug with my excavator to a 4x4 feet core trench. It all depends on how much surface area you have AND how deep the dam will be at full water elevation. Core with clay only.

Be careful on the slopes with an excavator. They like to slide on a little wet dirt. Don't ask me how I know that.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ Building Lake Corona #17  

My small pond was solid red clay and I was digging below the water table. Clear water would seep in to about 10 inches deep at 11 feet pond depth.
hugs, Brandi

/ Building Lake Corona #18  
Cool... another pond, I mean lake thread. Keep us posted!

/ Building Lake Corona
Went out today for a bit and started flagging the waterline. Takes a lot of walking with only one person running the transit. One of the things I was a little concerned about was some rock at the bottom of the two ravines that will feed the pond and leakage. I don't think there is any rock shelf or ledge though and water seems to be pooling fine and not leaking through so I don't think it will be an issue. The deer are already finding the small amount of water with tracks everywhere. Time to get a trail camera out.

2020-03-23_12-14-40

2020-03-23_12-15-20

2020-03-23_12-15-07

2020-03-23_12-14-58

/ Building Lake Corona #20  
A couple years ago I started building a pad for our new house and shop. Had to scrape and haul 1,500 cu yds of dirt. I asked a good friend of mine if he had a transit I could borrow. He said sure and told me where it was stored. I gathered it up and went home to set it up. It's a laser transit. I had to read the manual to know how to use it...…

That things is cool!!!!! Would be excellent for shooting your water line. Establish the elevation, grab a handful of flags and take off. No helper needed!!!!

Deer are most curious. When you are working they are lurking in the timber watching. I've been working in the timber with my tractor and had them come close enough I could see them and bed down to watch. They are gonna love your Lake and will use it faithfully. You definitely will want to get a camera set up. :)