Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona #1,051  
It's only a matter of time. Glad you finally got some good rains. I can't wait to see it overflow!

/ Building Lake Corona
#1,052  
Here's from this morning. Gained about 6 more inches yesterday. Final water level should be clise to the top of the big upright stump. That's the big one that made my loader look tiny.

20210626_071304

/ Building Lake Corona
#1,053  
Just checked on the pond this morning. Looks like I've lost about 6 inches of water from the high point. Never built a pond before so not sure if this is good or bad. Seems like a lot of surface area to loose but I'm assuming there's going to be some loss do to absorbtion into the ground, especially when adding four feet of water in one fill.

/ Building Lake Corona #1,054  
Just checked on the pond this morning. Looks like I've lost about 6 inches of water from the high point. Never built a pond before so not sure if this is good or bad. Seems like a lot of surface area to loose but I'm assuming there's going to be some loss do to absorbtion into the ground, especially when adding four feet of water in one fill.
No expert here but I imagine it is going to take some natural compaction and settling of fine materials to help 'seal' the bottom and especially the sides. I can't remember but you did not do anything to help seal the disturbed earth, correct?

/ Building Lake Corona
#1,055  
No expert here but I imagine it is going to take some natural compaction and settling of fine materials to help 'seal' the bottom and especially the sides. I can't remember but you did not do anything to help seal the disturbed earth, correct?
That's correct. No material added for sealing. Pretty high clay content in all of the dirt

/ Building Lake Corona #1,056  
This is definitely expected behavior in a new pond.

All the clay silt in your pond is your best friend right now. It will be helping to seal areas that are percolating. With all of the clay that you found making the pond, I hope that it won't take too long.

Great work!

All the best,

Peter

/ Building Lake Corona
#1,057  
Thunderstorms here tomorrow and Wednesday. Hoping to have some pics of a full pond soon.

/ Building Lake Corona #1,058  
When I see your pics I keep wanting to say, “to bad you didn’t have time to get in there and clean all that junk out of the bottom”. I know you put stuff in there for the fish but the smart Alec in me has to say it.

I would have said losing that much water would’ve been bad but people with more experience are saying it’s normal. Once it gets filled and settles some it’ll look good.

/ Building Lake Corona #1,059  
I disagree with what everyone else is saying. Your pond has held water plenty of times, but now it's not. Is the added height of the dam compacted? Is the spillway built up of fill material?

You have a leak of some kind. Leaks never fix themselves. They always get worse.

All you can do now is wait for it to drain down to where the leak is. Then you can look for what's causing it.

/ Building Lake Corona #1,060  
I disagree with what everyone else is saying. Your pond has held water plenty of times, but now it's not. Is the added height of the dam compacted? Is the spillway built up of fill material?

You have a leak of some kind. Leaks never fix themselves. They always get worse.

All you can do now is wait for it to drain down to where the leak is. Then you can look for what's causing it.
You might be right, Eddie. I'm a fan of bentonite but worst case... Jk can augment his banks.