Bulldog coupler

/ Bulldog coupler #1  

vvanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4760
Anyone else always end up on the wrong lateral side of the bulldog coupler when hitching them up? Never have a problem with the standard trailer hitch but always seem to overshoot on the side that needs to be closed.

Was moving a few trailers today and did it every single time, argh.

/ Bulldog coupler #2  
I just kick it hard a few times with some weight still on the jack; that usually does the trick.

/ Bulldog coupler
That's what I usually do too but was over a good 3/4" and wasn't going for it.

It's these and getting usb plugs in right the first time, must be my curse :laughing:.

/ Bulldog coupler #4  
I'm with you. I've got one backup camera aimed back and down; it makes hooking up BP by myself very easy. I've got a second I want to aim at the GN but haven't got around to it yet.

/ Bulldog coupler #5  
I have a bulldog coupler on my car hauler. If I'm only an inch off, I just grab the jack and yank the trailer over. Or, I just crank the steering wheel all the way to the right, keep my foot on the brake, pull it out of park, feel the transmission engage, crank the wheel to the left, and put it back into park. That usually shifts the ball an inch to the left, without any forward movement, and I'm good. ;)

/ Bulldog coupler #6  
if i can get the hitch to sit on the ball i just pull forward 4" and the ball will self center in the hole and then i can close the latch, if i cant shift the trailer by hand like previously mentioned

/ Bulldog coupler #7  
if i can get the hitch to sit on the ball i just pull forward 4" and the ball will self center in the hole and then i can close the latch, if i cant shift the trailer by hand like previously mentioned

Yar, another good method if a few blows via my boot doesn't do the trick, or it's too heavy a trailer for kicking.

/ Bulldog coupler #10  
Back when I was younger, like 19, hooking up a trailer was easy. The one dad had I would back up within a foot then get in the A frame of the trailer (16' tandem axle), pick it up and walk it to the ball. I could probably do it to his new one (20' tandem 10K GVWR) if a toolbox wasn't mounted there.
My horse trailer though has a bulldog coupler and is very tongue heavy, I can't hardly wiggle it around if I don't back up perfect to it. Having a camera on my new truck makes it very easy, but if off slightly I will lower the trailer onto the ball and use a block to knock it into place.
Sometimes having alot of strength helps, sometimes having alot of brains helps, with the blessing of having both I'm dang near golden.