Mowing Bush hog for 3510

/ Bush hog for 3510 #1  

seaofblue

Tractor
2018 Kioti CK 3510 SE
In the market for a new bush hog. I was looking at a titan medium duty 5 or 6 foot cutter. I’ve always had king kutter equipment but a neighborhood guy trying to establish his business and I would like to see him make it. I cut about 5 to 7 acres that is mainly flat and grass. Would I need the medium duty and has anyone had much experience with these? Thanks

/ Bush hog for 3510 #2  
I just started using the CountryLine Brush Hog from Tractor Supply and made by King Kutter.
It is a 5 foot model, with a HP requirement of 25 to 45 HP.

I have mine mounted to the back of a Max 28, 28 HP, 23 hp PTO, and it works great running at 540 rpm at the PTO.

I am not sure of a 3510, I assume it is a 35 hp Tractor, so I am thinking this thing would work great for you if the width is correct but they sell 6 and I think 7 foot units.

I have cut everything from grass to saplings up to 1", (not too many of those), I don't go over that size, since this unit should be on a little larger tractor.

My 28 HP Tractor doesn't bog-down, the 3-Point Hitch lifts it without a problem, and it doesn't over weigh the rear causing steering problems.

So far, and it is the first year, this CountryLine/King Kutter Unit is a good light to Medium duty cutter and I am thinking it should last me for a long while; now my Tractor, who knows.

/ Bush hog for 3510
Thanks Scrambler82. The titan I looked at was the medium duty 5 foot. He priced it at 975$. I think that’s around 300$ than the country line at tractor supply. I will have to stop and look at them this weekend. Thanks.

/ Bush hog for 3510 #4  
Look a the weight first and foremost.
When I had the Ck4010HST dealer told me a 6' cutter would make the front end light. This was based on a detailed discussion of condition of our property. Seven of the eight acres had 4 to 12 foot tall weesatch. All the left over branched seem to turn to stone!...lol....So I bought a Rhino 160 medium duty 5' cutter and it got a hard, hard work over.
IF your property is relatively clean then a medium duty cutter may not be needed. If no 2" size saplings/brush then a medium duty not needed.
This would mean a light duty cutter if under 675lbs or so should be OK and not make the front end light.
So recap. consider weight of cutter then PTO HP next.
Also the Titan uses a NLGI-0 grease for the gear box. not sure if you are aware of that.
Finally just ask your dealer about weight consideration for the 5' or 6' cutter or you machine.

Al the best...in your shopping.:thumbsup:

/ Bush hog for 3510 #5  
I have the same tractor. I bought a 60" standard duty cutter, but it's heavy for a standard duty (just over 600lbs). It doesn't help that mine is the Kioti branded cutter, which is longer than many others, thus placing that weight even further behind the tractor. The front end definitely does get a little light when mowing up the steeper hills. My manual says the standard duty can cut 2" material, it can, but it makes me a little nervous. It eats 1" sapplings and branches all day with no problems. With your land being flat and mostly grass, you could probably do a 72" standard duty. Watch the weight though...I wouldn't go much over 600 lbs.

/ Bush hog for 3510
Thanks guys for your information. I believe the titan I was looking at was around 560lbs.

/ Bush hog for 3510 #7  
Thanks Scrambler82. The titan I looked at was the medium duty 5 foot. He priced it at 975$. I think thatç—´ around 300$ than the country line at tractor supply. I will have to stop and look at them this weekend. Thanks.

Hope it helps !

I ended up paying $995 and I don't remember if it was a discounted part or there was a coupon somewhere.

No matter which you buy, I could not have asked for a better tool for the clearing I need to keep up with.

Ltr

I think this Brush Hog is around the 490 lb mark.

/ Bush hog for 3510 #8  
Just an after-the-fact FYI...

Ratings are all over the place with cutters. Basically it comes down to, as emphasized here, weight, but also HP rating of gearbox.

I ran with a "light-duty" 60" Rankin off my Kubota B7800 doing some of the most nasty stuff one can do with one of these things and it held up pretty darn well. That said, I replaced it with a severely used Landpride 1860 (I believe), which is more "medium duty," and have found it to be a lot more robust (I wince less about running over crap). The Landpride's quick attach was what I was wanting: B7800's lower link arms are really a pain to adjust- quicker to just slide pins in than hooking the arms over pins.

My commercially abused BH26 on my NX is another beast. This one is a true medium duty cutter, but it was reinforced, in which case it's closer to heavy duty. Any heavier duty, and using it as such, and I don't think I'd want to be around it when operating: the noise of it chomping on stuff is intense- having a cabbed tractor is another plus here.

All said, I have had good results with buying used (and in a couple of cases extremely used) cutters. Have probably about $1,100 in the Brush Hog cutter; a new one would be close to $3k; my brush can't tell the difference!

/ Bush hog for 3510 #9  
Any comments or experience in looking for a bush cutter for my CTL rather than my ck4010?

I imagine the front mounted hydraulic driven cutter on a CTL would better on soft ground or dense blush, but cost is probably be higher.

Not sure which to concentrate my search on. The tractor unit would probably stay mounted all summer, since I no longer need to use the tractor for loader or fork work with the acquisition of the CTL. The CTL would be mounted only when use is imminent, but should be a simple task with the power quickl tach.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both?

/ Bush hog for 3510 #10  
Any comments or experience in looking for a bush cutter for my CTL rather than my ck4010?

I imagine the front mounted hydraulic driven cutter on a CTL would better on soft ground or dense blush, but cost is probably be higher.

Not sure which to concentrate my search on. The tractor unit would probably stay mounted all summer, since I no longer need to use the tractor for loader or fork work with the acquisition of the CTL. The CTL would be mounted only when use is imminent, but should be a simple task with the power quickl tach.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both?

Finn, I just received my 3510 yesterday. I bought a 5’ due to my topography. Some of my hills are rather sketchy. I’d rather not have the extra weight pulling me around. I put 8 hours on it mowing grass that was nearly as tall as my hood. I had to be in low and take 2 passes to get a clean cut. It only bogged twice. Bogging happened when the cutter wouldn’t clear. I think it could easily run a 6’ cutter if you weren’t cutting tall field grass.

Last summer I used both a new Tak TL12 and a 200hr case TR310 with a 6’ Bradco ground shark. The pluses of a ctl is the it made a cleaner cut and sitting in a cab was great. Minuses was that the leading edge the mower would gouge into the ground. Cutting while turning didn’t turn out very well. The best cut was achieved by cutting in reverse with the loader in float. Camera or not, visibility sucks out of any CTL. Finally, traction is non existent with the ctl in grass. I was sliding all over the place on hills. I had to have my neighbor rescue me a couple times when I slid out of control towards an embankment. The lighter case with bar tracks did marginally better than the big heavy Tak with block treads. I could do crap with it. It was too stressful to be productive.

My loaded R1 tired 3510 is a billy goat compared to either ctl. IMG_8705.jpg