Bush Hog

/ Bush Hog #111  
You mean like "Band-Aid", "Kleenex", & many other brand names that are used by millions of people EVERY DAY?
I can't think of a better compliment for a brand.
I'm sure Bush hog doesn't mind.
Let me go grab my Crescent wrench and I'll fix your Skilsaw.

/ Bush Hog #112  
I know I'm being picky but I have an issue with folks calling a rotary mower a Bush Hog. Bush Hog is a brand name just as John Deere, Ford, Dodge, etc.
Home - Bush Hog This is the Bush Hog website note they even call them rotary cutters. I know it may be a hard habit to break but could we learn to call them rotary cutters unless of course you are referring to the Bush Hog brand.
OK Karen

/ Bush Hog #113  
Screenshot_20220411-160202_Chrome.jpg

Is Brush Dawg better? 😉😁😄😉

/ Bush Hog #114  
Then there's Brush Hog, which I hear a lot. I usually call it a rotary cutter, but people who aren't familiar with tractors don't know what that is. And then there's facial tissue and Kleenex, and we used to Xerox documents.

/ Bush Hog #115  
Only a term if you like you can call them brush hogs, this is a pretty stupid issue.
Some companies are very sensitive about it. I've read author's guidelines that warned authors to use the term "facial tissue," or "Kleenex Brand Facial Tissue," instead of just "Kleenex," to avoid getting sued.

Several years ago, a local coffee house owner named his place "Federal Espresso." Fedex got wind of it, sued for trademark infringement, and won. Then the coffee house name was changed to "Ex-Federal Espresso." Fedex didn't let that fly, either.

My first name is Tom. When my brother Jerry and I created a partnership to run the farm, we briefly thought of calling it "Tom & Jerry's Farm." We decided against it, because we've heard how zealously Disney, the current owner of Hanna-Barbara, guards their trademarks.

/ Bush Hog #116  
Some companies are very sensitive about it. I've read author's guidelines that warned authors to use the term "facial tissue," or "Kleenex Brand Facial Tissue," instead of just "Kleenex," to avoid getting sued.

Several years ago, a local coffee house owner named his place "Federal Espresso." Fedex got wind of it, sued for trademark infringement, and won. Then the coffee house name was changed to "Ex-Federal Espresso." Fedex didn't let that fly, either.

My first name is Tom. When my brother Jerry and I created a partnership to run the farm, we briefly thought of calling it "Tom & Jerry's Farm." We decided against it, because we've heard how zealously Disney, the current owner of Hanna-Barbara, guards their trademarks.
that’s different but yes using name brand in writing, advertising or public display can get you in trouble …you ask every mustang built thats called their mustang eleanor and they will tell y’a …

Last edited:
   / Bush Hog #117  
I agree that this has been amusing. My Bush Hog is a 10' wheel harrow. My rotary cutter is a Ford, that I call "the blue mower". The yellow mower is a Ford flail. My friend has Brown rotary (brand, not color) and it's really well made. I have my Skilsaw 77 and inherited my Father's, which is older than me. My Kubota disc mower is a Vicon branded as Kubota since they bought Kverneland. I call it a Vicon - they are built by Vicon and still sold under Vicon outside USA.

/ Bush Hog #118  
that’s different but yes using name brand in writing, advertising or public display can get you in trouble …you ask every mustang built thats called their mustang eleanor and they will tell y’a …
3M wants you to use "cellophane tape" instead of "Scotch Tape." But, "cellophane" is trademarked in some countries. Maybe we should just use velcro to fasten things together.

Actually, what happened to "cellophane" and what is currently happening to Velcro are good examples of why companies don't want you to use their brand names generically.

/ Bush Hog #119  
You have way too much time on you hands. You might as well jump on Frigidaire while your at it and in my part of the south, all soft drinks are referred to as “Coke”. Personally, I’m much more concerned with the man in the White House that’s called, “President”.
When you go to the store get me a COKE.
What kind?
Dr. Pepper

/ Bush Hog #120  
3M wants you to use "cellophane tape" instead of "Scotch Tape." But, "cellophane" is trademarked in some countries. Maybe we should just use velcro to fasten things together.

Actually, what happened to "cellophane" and what is currently happening to Velcro are good examples of why companies don't want you to use their brand names generically.
it’s gray at best “use” for what purpose ? in what scenario ?

Trademark or "ownership" is not absolute, you can use a trademark belonging to another person or company if you use it for informational or editorial purposes to identify specific products and services.

the use of a trademark does not necessarily qualify as an infringement if the user is not actually using the trademark as a mark.

Informational (or "editorial") uses of a trademark do not require permission from its owner. These are uses that inform, educate, or express opinions protected under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution?freedom of speech and of the press.